PDA

View Full Version : Tubular tires

Jack Brunk
06-20-2004, 09:01 PM
Hello everybody,

New to the tubular tire thing and I would like to know personal favorites and where to purchase . Any suggestions on how to use them would be welcomed.

Thanks,

Jack

lithiapark
06-20-2004, 10:31 PM
Contact worldclasscycles.com and get some Tufo Elite Road or Veloflex Roubaix tubulars and some Tufo glue tape. Might as well get some of the best tubulars out there, try em, and if they don't impress you then go back to clinchers and sell me your tubular wheels cheap. :D The tufo glue tape makes mounting the tires a snap and anyone reasonably capable of bike maintenance ought to be able to do it the first time without difficulty. Gluing the tires on the conventional way is something you need to learn, don't let the messy learning process turn you off on tubulars, get the tape.

Lots of other opinions as good as mine should follow shortly.

coylifut
06-20-2004, 11:42 PM
I've never riden the Tufo road tires only the cyclocross ones. Conti Competitions are smooth, round, durable and can be found on sale.

Too Tall
06-21-2004, 05:31 AM
Yes! worldclasscycles has good prices and amazing service. I don't love the TUFO tape. In brief, there never was anything wrong with properly done glue. Read everything that the kind people at Nimble have to say regards tubs and tricks. Also, lot of folks forget or don't understand how to stretch tires and mount them. Done right, this is SOP. Enjoy the ride.

terry
06-21-2004, 09:04 AM
if you want continental's the best place around is labicicletta. best prices & fast shipping. i haven't found any real advantage in the competitions so i ride sprinters-$35 a tire. can't beat that.

Todd Owen
06-21-2004, 09:56 AM
world class cycles actually has inventory in my fovorite tires the veloflex criterium. they just bumped up in price to $77 and since la biciletta has been out for about 3 months now, I have turned to worldclass cycles. also free glue and shipping if you buy 2 or more. after using tubulars for over 20 years I was initially in love with the tufo tape strip but will never use one again as they stick TOO well to the rim if you have a flat..... the clean up took me about 2 days. :crap: :crap: I use the cement only now. These tires are however not made for everyday commuting or riding on alot of glass or pebbles. they hold up well but are still abit fragile.

caffeine power
06-21-2004, 12:07 PM
Gluing can be messy if you're not shown easy ways to do it or costly if you pay a shop to do it for you.

I prefer the Conti Comps & Sprinter's...depends on the wheelset or the depth of my wallet. As for glue, Wolber or Conti glue if you've got 24 hours to let it set. I used to use 3M autotrim/window seal adhesive if you want to ride that afternoon...but I can't remember the 3M part number...

Too Tall
06-21-2004, 12:52 PM
There are many ways to skin the cat. I've used conti glue and Vittoria Mastik one with great success. Of all the methods and tricks I know there are two that will make it a fairly mess free proposition. First, pre-stretch your tires on old rims and give the tire an additional stretch (across your knees/feet) just before you do the final mount. Second, let several layers of glue on the tire dry completely BEFORE you mount it to the rim where you've put on a final quick skim coat. Dry glue on the tire lets you slip it over the rim edge with no mess and even grab it with your hands with some force if needed. Immed. after centering your tire ride it (not far...50 feet?) nice and gently to bed the tire thoroughly....no cornering...just bed the tire and than put 'er away for 24 hrs.

2 day clean up of TUFO tape? Is that all? Same here cuz. That stuff is STRONG.

Jack Brunk
06-21-2004, 01:02 PM
Hey guys thanks for the imput. So far I really enjoy the ride of the tubulars and just changed a tire for practice. The Tufo tape is strong and it took me about 10 minutes to get the tire off the rim. Seems like using glue at home and tape on the road may work. I am going to ride the tubulars this weekend on a DC and see how it goes. i've also seen on other posts about a Dugast tubular. Any thoughts or opinons on these tires as well ? Thanks

Jack

bostondrunk
06-21-2004, 01:31 PM
the drunk likes to do it the simple way. Spread an even layer of glue on the rim, about 1/3 of a tube of mastik. Put a minimal amount of air in tire, yank the tire onto the rim while standing on the rim. Pump up a bit, set the tire straight by had, inflate to pressure and leave overnight. Never had one roll in several years, and still a b#tch to get off the rim.

Too Tall
06-22-2004, 07:31 AM
BD., you don't put any glue on the tyre base tape first??? Burst my bubble why don't cha? ;)

bostondrunk
06-22-2004, 08:49 AM
Nope, none on the base tape. I do try to stretch the tire before hand.
I should mention that I don't live in the alps, and am not often doing long decents that would melt the glue, etc. But I've never had one roll.

terry
06-22-2004, 09:28 AM
i also have never, in 25 yrs, put glue on the base tape and i've never rolled a tire, even back in my racing days. haven't tried the tufo tape but the glue is so easy to use i don't think i want to even try it.

Too Tall
06-22-2004, 10:05 AM
Learn someting new every day. thnx.

chrisroph
06-22-2004, 10:11 AM
I've got some lovely NOS vittoria CX/CG which ride very supple and smooth; Of the new crop, I very much like the conti comps, much straighter, rounder and more consistent than the sprinters and very tough. I like the TT procedure but use 3m fasttack because it is strong, cheap, readily available and what I have used for years.

D-Squared
06-22-2004, 12:26 PM
I've been riding tubulars for over two years with no flats and yesterday I had to borrow a friend's bike because I'm still waiting for my replacement chainring and get a snakebite on his clinchers.

I'll stick with tubulars.

Too Tall
12-13-2004, 06:12 PM
Stardate 12/13/2ohoh4
Guys, had to revive a tubular tire thread just to help you spend your dineros.

BikeTrashBar is selling the worthy Clement Strada TT tubular for a whole $14.99. Yikes, that's less than yellowjersey.org no less.

I have beaucoup miles on a set of these nice training tubs and like them alot.

titans
12-13-2004, 07:16 PM
critusa@aol.com

i think danny has better prices than la bicicletta and worldclass...i use veloflex carbons...1900 miles on existing pair and still going strong...

LegendRider
12-13-2004, 08:23 PM
I second the recommendation of CritUSA. I get all my tires from Danny. Just bought two Tufo Elite Road tires for $59.99 per tire. Check rec.bicycles.marketplace for his prices - search under "critusa@aol.com"

Jack Brunk
12-13-2004, 10:09 PM
just got a set of Dugast silks from the Jerk. I am placing them on a new incomomg Moots compact SL due in on weds of next week. If they ride as nice or better than the Dugast cottons, it will be the perfect tire.

jack

oracle
12-13-2004, 10:28 PM
just how worthy, in your opinion are those clements? i've been considering a trio for slash and trash purposes....

love
oracle

(1) others are also encouraged to reply....

Too Tall
12-14-2004, 08:08 AM
These are the best value training tubs I've EVER had. I won't ride conti Giros, they are junk and ride like bricks...just for instance. For the last few yr.s I was using Conti Sprinters. They are a little pricey but they wear like iron.

You'll dig the Clements, tough and a really quite good ride quality. They hold air for ages and construction is excellent. You will appreciate how easy they are to glue...very straight too. I have them on a set of Zipp Pave's for weekend training and the ocassional YIPPEEFAST commute to work.

Am I gushing over a frickin' $15 tyre or what? ha ha. Well, it's pretty hard to find such good value these days. It does kinda blow me away that a $15 tubular is about 1/3 the price of an equal clincher compared for: ride quality, durability, construction. I'll save the Veloflexe's for race only thanks.

If you are in a spending mood give the Panaracer glue a shot too. I used it last racing season to replace conti. glue. Panaracer is clear and never completely dries both good qualities.

oracle
12-14-2004, 05:49 PM
thanks, 'tall

i think i'll order ten if they let me, and age them with the burgundy in the basement... the glue is grade a fancy? i'll give it a try; my base tape usually looks nasty.

oracle

Too Tall
12-15-2004, 07:35 AM
The Panaracer glue is not expensive. What I dig is that it is clear...to hide any boo boos and the can has a built in brush.