PDA

View Full Version : Assos sizing ???

BlackTiBob
07-02-2007, 12:48 PM
Anyone have Assos bib-shorts and/or jersey that can help with sizing?
Any Assos dealers in MN? I don't think so.
I found this Assos sizing chart:
- - - - - - - - chest - - - I assume this is waist? - - - height
Large - - - - - 40" - - - - - 37-38" - - - - - - - - - 5'10" - 6'

XLarge - - - - - 43" - - - - - 39-40" - - - - - - - - - 6'1" - 6'3"

I'm 43" chest, 36/37" waist, 5' 9.5". Weigh 178 lbs

I'm thinking Large on bib/shorts as height and waist most important??

I'm guessing XLarge on jersey as chest is more critical there, but are the XL jersey's really long ?

Thanks for any tips/suggestions.

znfdl
07-02-2007, 01:05 PM
Ti Bob:

I am 5'7"" with a 32/33 waist and wear a Large in shorts, as the new shorts tend to run a size smaller than the older version of the shorts.

I wear a Medium in most shorts. Hopes this helps.

Jeff Weir
07-02-2007, 01:13 PM
FWIW

2 years ago I bought Mille and F1 bibs in sizes XL & XLG

I'm 6'2, and they both fit well.

go figure

Serotta PETE
07-02-2007, 01:45 PM
I am 5'10" and 34 waist and use there xlg.... they do tend to run one size smaller for me than the Pearl I do.

Ti Bob:

I am 5'7"" with a 32/33 waist and wear a Large in shorts, as the new shorts tend to run a size smaller than the older version of the shorts.

I wear a Medium in most shorts. Hopes this helps.

Nick H.
07-02-2007, 01:48 PM
In my experience Assos sizes tend to be a little smaller than American brands.

LegendRider
07-02-2007, 02:07 PM
Agreed that they run a little small. I wear large bibs with Garneau and Giordana, but I use XL in Assos.

cacatfish
07-02-2007, 02:14 PM
Ditto again. I wear medium in all else, large in Assos (5'11" 165)

BdaGhisallo
07-02-2007, 02:19 PM
I have always heard that Assos bibs should be sized based upon your height, and not waist or hip size! I am 5'8" and I wear a L. I wouldn't want to be too much taller and have to stick with a L. The bib straps can get pretty taut.

Blastinbob
07-02-2007, 02:19 PM
I'm 5 9 and 34 waist 44 chest. Their chart has me in a large but even in the cycling position they dug into my shoulders too much to be comfortable. I have XL FI 13 S2 and the FI mille. Both are very comfortable, the mille more so on longer rides.

Bob

terrytnt
07-02-2007, 02:28 PM
Ditto with everyone else;

I'm 5'11", 165 and 34 waist -- just purchased the LARGE Assos Mille bibs (2 months ago), they fit snug but perfect in the riding position (which is what makes Assos unique, they're designed for a cycling position NOT standing).

I LOVE these bibs and will buy another pair before the season ends. By the way, the Mille are just a tad shorter in leg length... which is great for summer.

my 2 cents...

mosca
07-02-2007, 02:51 PM
fwiw, I'm 6'1", 180lb, and I just mail-ordered a pair of the F1 bibs in a large and they are way too small. gonna have to exchange them for the XLs. wish this thread had come along sooner.

slinkywizard
07-02-2007, 03:14 PM
I`m 180 lbs and a touch under 6'2" and the XL FI 13 S2 bibs fit me fine. They are a bit tight in the crotch when standing upright, but just fine when on the bike. The jerseys also run pretty small. I guess a good rule of thumb is to go one size above your "regular" jersey/bib size with assos.

TriJim
07-02-2007, 06:33 PM
BlackTiBob et al,

I'm their best customer. About your same measurements, 5'9", 34-35" waist, 43" chest, and (for me 175-180 lbs). I have 3 pair of XL shorts which fit fine and all of my jerseys (intermediate and SS13), vest, climajet breaker, and jacket are XL. I only wear large for Dopo Bici (I said I was their best customer!)

Assos stuff is very stretchy and provides a comfortable fit. Unlike many jerseys, Assos XL are not too long and do not sag when I fill the pockets.

Hope this helps.

Ti Designs
07-02-2007, 08:01 PM
At 5'10" tall and 148 pounds I seem to be too fat for their winter jacket. I'll call up Weight Watchers at the end of the summer...

Marco
07-02-2007, 09:50 PM
World Cycling Productions on University Avenue in St. Paul.

BlackTiBob
07-05-2007, 08:52 AM
Marco, thanks for the info, never knew that place was in St. Paul, sort of hidden away. I was really looking for the S2 but I tried on the FI Mille bibshort they had on the rack (XL) and it fit great. They didn't have a S2 out in my size and I was in a hurry so didn't try one on.

The FI Mille has a thicker chamois. Anybody ridden/own both (the FI Mille and S2) that can comment on them? Is the FI Mille chamois really more comfortable? Which do you prefer/why?
For many things, thicker/more cushy is not more comfortable like a firm, well designed chair/seat is much more comfortable than a big cushy one.
I'm not a racer, just ride a lot and want comfort/support/performance.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

SayHey
07-07-2007, 10:32 PM
The FI Mille has a thicker chamois. Anybody ridden/own both (the FI Mille and S2) that can comment on them? Is the FI Mille chamois really more comfortable? Which do you prefer/why?
For many things, thicker/more cushy is not more comfortable like a firm, well designed chair/seat is much more comfortable than a big cushy one.
I'm not a racer, just ride a lot and want comfort/support/performance.

Any comments greatly appreciated.
Over a year ago, I bought the FI.Mille and FI.13 bibs (I believe the same as the FI.13 S2, but not sure). I strongly prefer the FI.13 because the pad is a little narrower, thinner, and more comfortable for me. Also, the leg is noticeably longer on the FI.13's and again preferable to me.

I rode in the FI.Mille bibs twice early on and they have been in my closet ever since. The FI.13's are my favorite bib/shorts and they are reserved for my longer rides. I'm 5'9", 165 lbs and the Large fits me well. I wear a medium in PI and most other brands.

I'm going to sell the FI.Mille's but haven't gotten around to it so they may be in the Serotta classifieds soon.

SayHey
07-08-2007, 06:26 PM
Here's a little more detail about the differences between the two bibs. I took some side-by-side pictures to hopefully illustrate with the FI.Mille on the left and FI.13 on the right. The main differences are as follows:

FI.Mille. The FI.Mille has a two-piece internal chamois composed of the orange microsuede-like material that narrows near the front and attaches to a black terrycloth-like material. The two-piece pad (2 irregular oblong pieces) is stiched to the internal microsuede material along the perimeter of the two pad pieces. The two-piece internal chamois is then attached to the external lycra bib material along the perimeter of the chamois/pad combination.

FI.13. The FI.13 has just microsuede material for the chamois, no terrycloth-like material. The two-piece pad (with two pads about the same length and width as the Mille) is stiched to the external lycra bib shell (not the chamois). The internal microsuede chamois in essence "floats" above the pad. It seems to me that the FI.13 pad is a little thinner and denser than the FI.Mille pad, but I'm not certain about that. (It certainly feels that way when you are wearing the bibs.)

Leg Length. The other major difference is the FI.Mille leg is significantly shorter than the FI.13. When I put them both on, the FI.13 is about 3 cm longer (my longest bibs) and the FI.Mille is much shorter (my shortest of all except for some tri-shorts I have).

Intuitively, I thought the "floating" internal chamois of the FI.13 would cause binding and discomfort, but it's much more comfortable to me. The lack of attachment between the internal chamois and the pad seems to increase comfort for me. I also think the lack of stiching near the chamois front (i.e. one- vs. two-piece chamois) makes a difference for me too.

With that said, I know many people have said the Mille's are by far their most comfortable short, but I also know much comes down to your own personal shape and preferences. As I mentioned before, I wear a Large in Assos bibs and wear a Medium in Pearl Izumi, Louis Garneau, Performance, and Descente (and I have a 32" waist).

Hope this helps for those trying to understand the differences between the two bibs/shorts.