PDA

View Full Version : My new Attack.

slideways
07-02-2007, 12:03 AM
I've been on the new Attack for a solid month now and wanted to report. I'm on a new bike on a regular basis but the last one I hung onto for much longer than normal, a certain sign that I really liked it. For the record it was a compact Moots Vamoots SL. Lots of snap without being flexy, compliant but not cushy, loved how it became one with me when I jumped hard and I could rail the thing down the twisties we have in the Santa Monica mountains. I have a reputation for not acting my age on the downhills (paid for it recently by the way). It was with some reservation that I decided to go with the Attack. I truely wanted to spend some quality time on one of the Serotta carbon bikes but it was going to have to be awful amazing to push me off the Moots. After a month exclusively riding the Attack it was time to jump back on the Moots, a bike I was extremely comfortable with and understand fully. Going back to an old standard after having spent time on something different is what works the best for me to see what the differences are. I sold the Moots................ The Serotta does not have the same lively feel of light gage metal tubes but it is not lacking there either, definately not a 'dead' ride at all just not as snappy in that Ti or Steel way. After that, the Attack just rocks. The frame is stiffer at the bottom bracket, torsionally more rigid and the rear triangle does not twist or flex no matter what I do. Comfort? The Attack is better damped for certain but is to me no more or less compliant. This is almost certainly due to the 8.5 tube set I insisted it be built with inspite of Kelly's numerous warnings. Screw it, I wanted a race bike and that is exactly what I got. Do not think for a minute I would not grab the Attack for a century. It is more than comfortable enough for five and six hour rides. I considered the carbon HSG but changed my mind because the top tube would have been a touch short and the head tube too long for that perfect fit. The bike just floats under me in hard out of the saddle accelerations so I feel more like I'm running than riding. What pathetic wattage I'm able to put into the bike is turned into forward movement during these accelerations. How's it handle? As soon as I find my huevos I'll let you know. I still flash on the recent crash when I start to push the curves really hard and do not want to take the asphalt beltsander to my backside again for a while. Okay, alright I have wound it up a couple of times but then I see my wife wagging her finger at me. The bike (with three different wheelsets) is on rails and yet can be flicked around with confidence. Mid-corner correction? No problem. G-out dip while the bike is heeled over? Just relax and trust the bike because the frame holds it's line and stays stable. Tires and balls are the limiting factors in how hard and fast you can descend, not the bike.

This Serotta is a keeper for me, can't wait for tomorrow's ride.

Thanks for letting me bend your eyeballs, Aj

Serotta PETE
07-02-2007, 05:40 AM
AJ,

Thanks for sharing your ride impression with us. Best of luck with the new ride. Appreciate the time that you took to write it.

PETE

soulspinner
07-02-2007, 05:51 AM
If you sold the Moots it must be everything advertised...great review, the crashes slow me down too but only temporarily.

1centaur
07-02-2007, 06:33 PM
Could you elaborate on Kelly's warnings - were they a generic stiffness point, or was it related to some opinion of those tubes vs. your weight, or a judgment about your intended usage, or something else? What tubeset was suggested?

cleavel
07-02-2007, 07:07 PM
Hi Aj,

I've been waiting to hear from someone who actually owns an Attack. Of course I was looking for commentary before I ordered one. ;)

Nicely written report. I too am wondering about the tubing discussion with Kelly. I didn't discuss tubing specifics and just went with what they spec'd. (In fact, I just looked at the sheet and they didn't mention any tubing specifics.)

I told them that the bike would be my race bike and that I preferred road racing but that I raced mostly criteriums (typical SoCal diet). This led to the 7.0 cm BB drop vs. the originally recommended 8.0 cm drop.

BTW, I'm 5' 7" and 155 lbs (wish I was lighter :rolleyes: ).

The frame is supposed to ship in a week or so.

TIA for your insights. :)

Blastinbob
07-02-2007, 08:13 PM
Cleavel, did Serotta say they could give you an 8 drop or the fitter?

Smiley
07-02-2007, 09:21 PM
I believe that an 8 cm BB drop is not possible, I thought 7.5 cm was the lowest with 7 cm the highest , Somebody smarter then me will chim in but I am pretty sure that 8 cm won't happen unless they changed a lug mold.

cleavel
07-02-2007, 09:27 PM
Cleavel, did Serotta say they could give you an 8 drop or the fitter?

I believe that an 8 cm BB drop is not possible, I thought 7.5 cm was the lowest with 7 cm the highest , Somebody smarter then me will chim in but I am pretty sure that 8 cm won't happen unless they changed a lug mold.
Hi Bob and Smiley,

I can't say for sure where the number originated as I can't say when they quoted the number. I believe that it was during my second fitting, but I could be wrong. :confused:

Regardless, I ended up with 7 cm since that matches my Look and I have been happy with that height as a good compromise in my racing. Only hit the pedals infrequently when I do something less than optimum during a race. ;)

slideways
07-03-2007, 04:37 PM
Sorry to take so long getting back. Kelly only expressed concern that the 8.5 tubes would be too stiff but he was by no means insisting that I go this route. As I said a race bike is what I was looking for and is what I got. I will however not hesitate to ride it this year in the Furnace Creek 508 and the roads out there are S*&#. The bb was set up with a drop of seven for better aggessive cornering. This would be a good crit bike that could be ridden long also.

Blastinbob
07-03-2007, 06:14 PM
I love the all 8.5 on my Meivici. I used a Michelin PR2 25 on the back for DC I did a couple of weeks ago. It made a world of difference on the rough stuff, my butt and back thanked me. It felt a little softer out of the saddle vs. a 23 but was well worth the switch as far as comfort was concerned.