PDA

View Full Version : basic workstand recommendation?

tv_vt
07-01-2007, 04:46 PM
My wife gave me a Performance Spin Doctor Team workstand, with the comment that I could look around and replace it with something else if I didn't want that model.

Haven't opened the box, haven't done any research into workstands, would appreciate forumites experiences with workstands costing less than $150.

Thanks,

Thom

fierte_poser
07-01-2007, 06:26 PM
I have a Spin Doctor Pro G3 that has served me well (mostly for washing the bike and derailleur adjustments). Its on sale right now for $150.

I looked at the Team workstand and imho the clamp looks less than appealing.

Hope this helps,
Kent

DRZRM
07-01-2007, 06:35 PM
pricepoint.com has the Park PCS-1 on sale with a free Crank Bros multi-10 for $119. I personally use the Park PCS-10, which is good for my needs, but I don't love the fact that the clamp only rotates by 90 degree intervals, so it can only be horizontal or vertical, but not between. Is is certainly secure enough, and the screw down clamp removes the fear of crushing a delicate tube with the lever driven clamp, which I know of one home wrench who did damage.

I generally go with Park when I can.

TiGuy
07-01-2007, 06:48 PM
I'd avoid Ultimate. I have an old Ultimate stand that isn't working right. When I asked to buy a replacement part, customer service told me that parts weren't available because (get this) the customer service department and the factory aren't in the same city. Then the guy told me that if I wanted a stand with a clamp that didn't take all my strength to rotate, I should have bought a higher-line model. :crap:

Message received...

Ken Robb
07-01-2007, 07:45 PM
I love my Ultimate Pro.

soulspinner
07-01-2007, 08:12 PM
I love my Ultimate Pro.

+1

toaster
07-01-2007, 08:20 PM
The Performance Spin Doctor Team Workstand is not up to par. I checked these out before and couldn't imagine trying to save $50 or so when the Pro G3 will get you something you can actually use.

While the G3 is not equipped with the best features available in workstands, it will do everything it needs to and you'll be so much happier than keeping the cheapie Team Workstand.

My $.02.

trophyoftexas
07-01-2007, 09:18 PM
...super sturdy! Easy to use clamp, can't complain about mine at all and would buy it again.

scrooge
07-01-2007, 09:26 PM
I have a Spin Doctor Pro G3 that has served me well (mostly for washing the bike and derailleur adjustments). Its on sale right now for $150.

I looked at the Team workstand and imho the clamp looks less than appealing.

Hope this helps,
Kent

I picked up one of these a month or so ago. Very sturdy (nice broad base), adjustable etc...the only catch is that it's a lot of twisting to get the bike in etc.--not as nice as a shop quality Park stand

Ti Designs
07-01-2007, 09:43 PM
I'd avoid Ultimate. I have an old Ultimate stand that isn't working right. When I asked to buy a replacement part, customer service told me that parts weren't available because (get this) the customer service department and the factory aren't in the same city.

Uh, who's customer service were you talking to??? Ultimate has been making stands for the music industry for years. Turns out my Ultimate Pro stand is the same tripod as my PA speaker stands with a bike arm attached. Parts are available. If you tried to get Ultimate parts from Trek, you were talking to the wrong people...

TiGuy
07-02-2007, 12:36 PM
No, I didn't talk to Trek. Even though my stand is badged as a Trek Wrench Force, I called the Ultimate people who built it.

I know people like their high-end stands a lot. (And, actually, I once owned -- and really liked -- one of their keyboard stands, too.) But I felt like the message of their customer service rep was that I ought to junk my old stand just because it was inconvenient for them to track down a $1.50 part for me.

Funny thing, but that bad customer service moment cost them a customer on both sides of their business.

Kevan
07-02-2007, 03:16 PM
a clamping device that is easy to use, adjust and won't crush your pipes.

enough riser that you're not stooped over during a fix.

a platform you're not tripping over walking around the bike.

okay...and a fourth thing... not necessarily having to remove wheels when racking the bike.

Some clamps look really clumsy and time consuming to deal with.

Some stands you're better off working from a chair

Some stands have tripod-style legs perfect for getting in the way

Look at the Park stands, they'll last generations.

rePhil
07-02-2007, 04:36 PM
I am guilty of sometimes using a rope wrapped around my wifes clothespole(how many still use clotheslines?) attached to the saddle. I use this when I need to remove a wheel, when cleaning etc. Otherwise I use an antique Blackburn. I always wanted a Park, but never really needed it.

pdxmech13
07-03-2007, 09:13 AM
I use a professional Park stand on a daily basis with a Effieient Velo Tools. For home adjustments I got one of the eruo stands and enjoy the overall stability over a seat post style home unit.