PDA

View Full Version : MTB follies

d_douglas
07-01-2007, 08:10 AM
While preparing to go for a ride today, it struck me that I never ride my MTB - even though i just just these fancy wheels and disc brakes on it - so I decided to shelf the Serotta and take my hardtail.

First off - it was a great change and a bunch of fun to see different scenery as well as recall how bad my bike handling skills are. I learned to ride off road in Vancouver, so my skills at one point were pretty good, as it is incredibly difficult riding there. Now, well, what skills?

I forgot why good MTBers hit the weight room on a regular basis - I am exhausted from grinding up steep stuff.

My gearing is off, so I cross-geared going up a long hill and broke the chain, then spent half an hour bending the plates back together and getting it into one piece again. Ahhh well.

Riding home from there, I was thinking that the disc brakes were nice, but were no better than my V brakes and I really didn't have the chance to put them to great use. When I was literally about 300m from my door. . .

An attractive woman in a skimpy outfit pulls around a blind corner in front of me. We both gasp, I lock the brakes, she braces herself for the impact and . . .

we do little more than bump each other. We both breathe a sigh of relief and make sure that we are both OK - the only damage is our racing heart rates and I somehow put my greasy (from repairing the chain) right on her back/hip. Quite funny and she was mellow about it, laughed and off we went.

All in all, MTBing is still pretty fun, those brakes really do work, plus I got to cop a feel. It was a good Sunday afternoon ride.

DD

toaster
07-01-2007, 02:17 PM
Nice story.

I was driving along Ventura Boulevard in Tarzana last Saturday morning and saw a hottie on her mountain bike wearing shorts that looked awesome on her as she was heading up Reseda toward dirt Mulholland and I wanted so bad to be riding my bike and getting the chance to make a new friend.

On another note, later that same day I rode my cyclocross bike on a 50 mile loop of road and off road terrain and noticed these two dudes riding old mountain bikes without helmets waiting at the top of a nine mile dirt road climb for their slower companions as I passed going the opposite direction. As I went by and further down the trail there were their girlfriends walking their bikes up the hill.

I thought these girls are not going to be too happy or even willing to go on another mountain bike ride with these guys. It was also quite hot at over 90 degrees in the mountains. Sometimes you got to leave the girls at home or at least go on the easy beach ride with a stop at the smoothie store if you want to remain in a relationship.

Karin Kirk
07-01-2007, 11:29 PM
Sometimes you got to leave the girls at home or at least go on the easy beach ride with a stop at the smoothie store if you want to remain in a relationship.

ouch!

d_douglas
07-01-2007, 11:53 PM
Hey - I just ran into this person !

SadieKate
07-02-2007, 12:05 AM
Sometimes you got to leave the girls at home or at least go on the easy beach ride with a stop at the smoothie store if you want to remain in a relationship.Hmm, let's see. Hubby and I just mountainbiked over 200 miles in 8 straight days in Moab, Telluride and points in between. Our relationship took such a beating over this same trip 9 years ago we had to repeat it -- all the while planning a mtb trip for our 20th anniversary. Maybe we need to see a counselor to get this relationship thing right.

d_douglas, it sounds like you tried to be a gentleman.

d_douglas
07-02-2007, 04:57 AM
I suppose it was trashy to say that I 'copped a feel' as it was not my intention - I simply didn't want to run her over thus injure both of us!

The 'hands-on' approach was necessary - my wife laughed when I told her what had happened. It would have been even funnier if she had seen it happen, as she was within eye-shot of the incident - I was that close to home.

Besides, this happened in Switzerland - the way SOME men behave around women here (my apologies to our Swiss forumites, as I assume that you guys are not of this group) this women was probably surprised that all I did was protect myself from grievous bodily harm.

Let's just say that there is a whole lot of lecherous stares and comments being passed around by men here. I am not used to it and not planning on adopting this technique of communications!

Karin Kirk
07-02-2007, 10:30 AM
d douglas, you've done no harm! I wasn't referring to you. Your incident sounds unavoidable and it's lucky that you didn't have a full-on collision.

Sadie, I'm on the same wavelength as you! We honeymooned on mountain bikes in Moab. What an amazing place. Congrats for your upcoming 20th anniversary - how amazing that you've survived this long while riding bikes together! (wink)

SadieKate
07-02-2007, 10:58 AM
d douglas, I do hope you know I was commenting on your attempts to be a gentleman with a smile. Sometimes parts, err, life just gets in the way. :rolleyes:

Karin, we not only have survived 20+ years of riding together but we honeymooned in Idaho flyfishing. Wooboy, now if that isn't a relationship breaker. :p I think we stay together because my Whydaho hubby is jealous that I have more bikes and nearly as many flyrods.

Ginger
07-02-2007, 11:13 AM
ouch!
Yeah...I think Toaster doesn't run in the same circles as women who actually ride.
Although it sounds like the guys were treating it as a group ride, not a date. ;)

d_douglas; Sounds like a good day on a mtb. :) Glad to hear you survived the ride, the close encounter, and telling your wife!

J.Greene
07-02-2007, 12:05 PM
I would rather ride with my wife in any weather than anyone else, and to boot she complains less than I do. I love to bike with her because it gives us time to talk and just be together. It's only 32 more days until we leave for the San Juan's and Seattle for a week of biking.

JG

toaster
07-02-2007, 11:41 PM
Yeah...I think Toaster doesn't run in the same circles as women who actually ride.
Although it sounds like the guys were treating it as a group ride, not a date. ;)

d_douglas; Sounds like a good day on a mtb. :) Glad to hear you survived the ride, the close encounter, and telling your wife!

I know a few women who ride, I know a lot more who don't but then there are many guys I've seen attempt to take their girlfriends or wives on a ride they're not ready for.

I love women who ride, and I don't mind the ones that don't. Who out there took my anecdote to imply sexism?