PDA

View Full Version : Help! I was just given a Serotta Colorado...

advogelzang
06-30-2007, 09:51 PM
Hello Serotta Fans,

I don't know much about (road) bikes, so I thought I'd enlist the help of the serotta community.

I was recently given a 5-year old custom built Serotta Colorado from uncle. I'm trying to sell it, but I'm not sure it's value. If anyone has some clues or can help me at all, I would be deeply appreciative.

And even better, if anyone who reads this is tall (34 inch) and is looking for a not-much-used custom road bike in the Boston area, I'd love to hear from you as well!

I believe the bike's specs are: 86 cm, dura ace component everything, custom wheels, nice seat, dura ace brakes. (is there anything else worth noting?). The fork and stem are nice. (27 speed. umm...is this good info? help?)

I'll post a pic asap

Thanks in advance!

Sandy
06-30-2007, 10:05 PM
First, assuming that your post is a genuine post-

1. It is not a 86 cm bike, unless one of its previous owners was a small giraffe.

2. I would turn the bike over and look for a serial number, then call Serotta and try to get the dimensions of the bike.

3. I would take the bike to a qualified bike shop and ask them to look the bike over, giving you precise makes and sizes of the stem, handlebar, saddle, wheels, components.... Ask the shop to give their opinion of the condition of the bike. Few will want to buy the bike without basic info, and you really are giving almost none.

4. Post a picture, and you will get some help.

Sandy

ti_boi
06-30-2007, 11:43 PM
Just check eBay to determine value....they sell those bikes on there all the time. You should air up the tires and if it is humanly possible look for a level plain of Earth and step up on that bad boy. Everyone should ride a fine road bike at least once in their life, you'll never for :cool: get the experience.

Kevan
07-01-2007, 09:52 AM
Do you have a tape measure that provides metric measurements? If so (otherwise convert), measure the distance from the center of the crank (Where the cranks are bolted into the frame to the seat post clamp. To be more specific, you want to measure where the center of the top tube intersects with the seat tube. I'm guessing here... but your reference to 34 inches makes me think that you've measured the distance from the top of the top tube down to the ground and if that's the case, your frame size maybe in the range of 58-62cms, but I could be off.

You also want to measure the distance from the center of the seat tube. along the distance of the top tube to the center of the steering or head tube. It's typical that the two numbers will be similar if not the same, assuming the top tube is level and the bike isn't overly customized.

Let us know what you get.

advogelzang
07-01-2007, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the comments and questions. It helps!

Alright, first, I was definitely measuring from the ground to the top of the frame. I've remeasured and the "real" size of the frame is 62-64 cm. (and like Kevan mentioned, the size of the top tube frame is about the same.

And I can't figure out how to post a pic. any help? Thanks!