PDA

View Full Version : Favorite compact crankset?

hypnos
06-30-2007, 05:48 PM
When I'm off the saddle, my FSA crankset is clicking with almost every downstroke on the non-drive side. I've tried different pedels.... that's not it. Uninstalled, cleaned, then reinstalled..... still clicks. Chainring bolts have also been removed, cleaned, lubed..... still clicking. Now I'm thinking about chucking the thing and replacing with something different.

What is your favorite compact crankset, why? How about the SRAM Force?

Thanks, Jeff

Samster
06-30-2007, 06:13 PM
have you checked your bb? that said, i like campy.

MarleyMon
06-30-2007, 06:16 PM
If you are going to chuck 'em, chuck 'em my way!
I've got the FSA Compact Pro 36/50 Octalink and I like 'em.
Its the only compact I've used, put 1500 miles on.
I switched from a triple - I like going up hills in
a bigger gear - I call it a sign of increased fitness, an improvement.

The clicking - maybe its in your BB?

FierteTi52
06-30-2007, 06:21 PM
I like the Shimano R 700 Compacts. They have shift ramps and the price is fair. I bought a set with BB on Ebay from a seller in Japan for $179.00 and $25.00 shipping which is a smokin deal, and it included the BB!
Jeff

CNY rider
06-30-2007, 06:57 PM
C'mon man you know you want to do it........

Come to the dark side.

Get a triple!

tiger
06-30-2007, 07:03 PM
R700 here. I'm very happy with it.

PK9
06-30-2007, 07:11 PM
I've got an FSA Compact Pro Elite with DA octalink on my Moots Compact and a Campy Record UT on my Love #3.

I've been riding the FSA for about 2 1/2 years and think it works fine. It's pretty light, though it DOES flex a bit more than the DA 9-speed crank it replaced.

I've only had the Campy (and the Love) for about 2 weeks. So far, it's been great: very stiff and efficient and shifts well.

regularguy412
06-30-2007, 07:32 PM
When I'm off the saddle, my FSA crankset is clicking with almost every downstroke on the non-drive side. I've tried different pedels.... that's not it. Uninstalled, cleaned, then reinstalled..... still clicks. Chainring bolts have also been removed, cleaned, lubed..... still clicking. Now I'm thinking about chucking the thing and replacing with something different.

What is your favorite compact crankset, why?

Thanks, Jeff

-- it 'may' be subject to a warranty recall. One of the locals with whom I routinely ride recently 'broke' his FSA crank. Technically it was not 'broken', but the connecting axle was turing about 10 degrees within the crank arm spider. He took it back to the LBS and they called FSA. Turns out FSA had a bunch of these get out of the factory with this issue. If this is your problem, you may get a new crank from FSA. Take it back to your LBS and have them check it out.

MIke in AR

konstantkarma
06-30-2007, 07:42 PM
No problems with 2k mi of spinning on this compact crank. 34-50, Octalink, Shimano compatible. It is also as light as the FSA, and it costs much less. AE Bike has them for 125 clams.

Bruce K
06-30-2007, 08:54 PM
FSA's on both road bikes (50/36) and my cross bike (46/36).

Being the clydsdale that I am (215#), I would have thought if they would break, I would do it.

Other than the aforementioned (other thread) ceramic BB issue, I love them.

BK

hypnos
06-30-2007, 08:57 PM
C'mon man you know you want to do it........

Come to the dark side.

Get a triple!

I can still get up everything with a 36 ring, but that day may come.

saab2000
06-30-2007, 09:45 PM
If I had to have a compact I would without doubt get the Campagnolo Record CT. Looks great. Works great.

Too Tall
07-02-2007, 07:20 AM
DaVinci. HELLO!!!!

Serotta PETE
07-02-2007, 08:18 AM
I have an FSA with about 7K miles and also a Campy old style compact with 1K....Both work fine. I did not like the looks of SHimano, but I have also seem no problems with them either.

Sounds like BB needs some looking at on yours...Hopefully an easy fix.

seanw
07-02-2007, 09:47 AM
like my ritchey wcs 50/34. went with this one so i could use my octalink BB.
slapped it on, slight adjustment in chain length and FD and was good to go.

ss-jimbo
07-02-2007, 11:14 AM
Great price, the LBS here wants $300 (edit w/o bb), plus $25 for install. It's hard to support the LBS when the penalty is that high. I usually just end up buying tubes water bottles, and the occasional sale items there.

I like the Shimano R 700 Compacts. They have shift ramps and the price is fair. I bought a set with BB on Ebay from a seller in Japan for $179.00 and $25.00 shipping which is a smokin deal, and it included the BB!
Jeff

Kirk007
07-02-2007, 11:57 AM
After reading Too Talls comments and checking them out on line and in conversations on the phone, I got a DaVinci set-up with T.A. rings - lots of flexibility in crank length and chain ring selection and it looks great. Works great too - paired with a Phil Wood bottom bracket.

I also use the new Chorus UT Compact - works great, and have used the old Record Compact and Centaur Compact; again these work very nice. Limited crank arm length is a down side if you need anything other that the standarad lengths. I still have the Centaur - 175, 50-34 and would sell it if you want a nice Campy aluminum set -up.

I haven't had any problems with any of these. I stopped using my FSA compact as I was going through those bottom brackets at a rate of 2 a year.

Greg

J.Greene
07-02-2007, 12:08 PM
What's the deal with Campy compact rings? Is it true their 110mm rings have one bolt offset to require only campy rings? ATMO the advantages of a compact are to have almost unlimited chainring choices.

JG

hypnos
07-02-2007, 03:49 PM
I never considered the bottom bracked. The bike was in the shop for a couple days and the mechanic never mentioned the bottom bracket as a potential source for the sound. Since I had a new bottom bracket in the parts box, decided to change that sucker. Problem solved!! Makes perfect sense, as the old part had been in service for at least 5000+ miles. Now riding with a smile. Thanks for your suggestions.

hypnos
07-02-2007, 03:58 PM
What's the deal with Campy compact rings? Is it true their 110mm rings have one bolt offset to require only campy rings? ATMO the advantages of a compact are to have almost unlimited chainring choices.

JG

The BCD on their carbon cranks is proprietary; however, I read somewhere that their aluminum Centaur compacts are a true 110BCD. Of course, you will want to double check that info.

Jeff

wdlewis
07-02-2007, 04:12 PM
I have the Campagnolo Record CT on my Ottrott and love it. I was skeptical about going from a triple to the compact, but would not go back. I've put about 1200 miles on it with zero issues. It also looks great on the bike.

Now, if only I could get a better motor on the bike!

Marburg
07-02-2007, 04:55 PM
The BCD on their carbon cranks is proprietary; however, I read somewhere that their aluminum Centaur compacts are a true 110BCD. Of course, you will want to double check that info.

Jeff

I asked this a while back and I believe the consensus is that carbon square taper (Record/Chorus) and ALL ultra-torque compact cranks have the "funny rings" which have 4 bolts at 110BCD and a fifth bolt at 112-115BCD.

The aluminum Centaur square-taper cranks were true 110BCD.

My vote: Zephyr Lights with a Phil Ti BB.