PDA

View Full Version : Jaksche will name names … a breakthrough?

Elefantino
06-30-2007, 05:19 AM
From CN.com:

Jörg Jaksche is expected to tell the world about doping in cycling and Operación Puerto on Monday. According to the AFP, the rider's lawyer Michael Lehner said Friday the German will reveal what he knows about doping to the weekly magazine Der Spiegel.

Jaksche "will not just admit to doping himself, but will shed light on what really goes on in the peloton, and who the main (doping) protagonists are," said Lehner according to the AFP. Lehner also said Jaksche would be open to serving as a witness for the World Anti Doping Agency (WADA), the UCI and other authorities involved in the ongoing Puerto investigation.

Is this the beginning of the end or the end of the beginning?

soulspinner
06-30-2007, 05:52 AM
This could be the beginning of what eventually will be good, but until then it may be rough. There will be a heck of a backlash against him in the peloton.
Here we go!

Ray
06-30-2007, 06:02 AM
Is this the beginning of the end or the end of the beginning?
Perhaps just another sad chapter in a long-running soap opera with many sad episodes but no resolution. Because then the soap opera would end and THEN what would we do with our afternoons?

Anybody see the piece in the current Sports Illustrated about doping in cycling? A couple of pages of salacious details about Lance, Floyd, Frankie, Vaughters, etal, and then a couple of lines at the end saying essentially, "SO WHAT - it's still too friggin' cool to watch them fly up the Alps". Kind of an interesting piece to see in such a mainstream publication.

-Ray

Climb01742
06-30-2007, 06:21 AM
it bugs me when the mainstream press talks about how dirty cycling is without the context of how dirty track and field has been and is, and how dirty football and baseball are. cycling is unique only in that our sport's dirty laundry isn't, to mix metaphors, swept under the rug. as an example, i was a kid in oregon, the track capitol of america. as a high school runner 40 years ago we all, and i mean all, we're messing around with dmso to ease muscle soreness after hard workouts. and the first african runners were coming to the u.s. and winning the 2-mile high school races in portland. and word got around to our 2-milers that there was this thing finnish distance runners were messing with...blood transfusions. and this was 40 years ago and we were pimply-faced high schoolers who only wanted to win dual meets. i was a sprinter, so i stuck to dmso but buds of mine who ran distance were seriously intrigued by blood boosting.

Ray
06-30-2007, 06:31 AM
it bugs me when the mainstream press talks about how dirty cycling is without the context of how dirty track and field has been and is, and how dirty football and baseball are.
Climb, fwiw, here's the last paragraph of the SI piece (after four pages of the details we've all become too familiar with):

"I'm going back to the Tour. It is that intoxicating. For all of cycling's pathologies, I can't think of a more inspiring sight than a group of climbers clawing their way over the Col du Galibier. And when I'm looking for a sport with more integrity, I'll grab the remote and surf for some pro wrestling."

I don't think he's letting any sport off the hook there.

-Ray

Avispa
06-30-2007, 11:10 AM
....Sports Illustrated about doping in cycling?.... and then a couple of lines at the end saying essentially, "SO WHAT - it's still too friggin' cool to watch them fly up the Alps"...

Yes, this reminds me of the same attitude as when the former MIT Dean of Admissions was found to have lied on her resume. Many jumped to defend her saying she was doing a great job and not to ask her to resign.

IMO, that's why things are the way they are... no matter the issue at hand, sports or politics or (sometimes) in regular life: It's OK to cheat as long as it serves a purpose! Right on!

As far as Mr. Jaksche is concerned, I hope he says something significant on Monday and not something as the watered down story from Basso. I bet he may be getting lots of calls this weekend... Perhaps, including calls from Texas, Massachusetts and California! :p

One thing I've noticed is how quiet the Liquigas team is in regards to Di Luca, while other teams have proceeded to suspend their riders (Milram, Astana, etc.) for mere suspicions alone.

For as much that I enjoyed watching the Giro this year and my cheers for Di Luca, I don't know why this behavior from Liquigas reminds me of Discovery and the Lance days :eek:

shaq-d
07-01-2007, 02:30 AM
so far, jaksche's comments are awesome...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2007/jul07/jul01news

soulspinner
07-01-2007, 06:41 AM
Hard to fathom but this guy stuck out his arm and didnt even know what he was getting or how much...

GoJavs
07-01-2007, 07:09 AM
Bonds claims he rubbed some stuff on without knowing what it was. :rolleyes:

saab2000
07-01-2007, 07:21 AM
Hard to fathom but this guy stuck out his arm and didnt even know what he was getting or how much...

I can believe that. Believe it or not, most of the riders knew what they were doing was cheating. I know two guys who I know were dabbling and one who was deep into it. Neither of them liked what was happening. But they saw it is a necessary thing to do.

I believe Jorg Jaksche if he says he did not know what or how much was going into his arms. Denial is a pretty strong thing. The less you know, the better you can sleep at night.

victoryfactory
07-01-2007, 10:26 AM
Jaksche seems sincere to me. The negative reaction from other riders
is predictable. a la Jose Canseco.
Turns out that much of what Canseco said was true, irrespective of
whether or not he is well liked.

I favor an "all is forgiven" type approach, and a fresh start, but just like
a rotten tooth, all the decay must be removed first.

In the new world of drug free pro cycling, things like sponsorship, salaries,
race profiles and lengths must sort out naturally.

And finally, the testing labs and personel must somehow become
trustworthy and accepted by all involved.

Fasten your seatbelts, it's gonna be a bumpy ride in pro cycling
for a couple more years

VF

gt6267a
07-01-2007, 03:20 PM
I favor an "all is forgiven" type approach, and a fresh start, but just like
a rotten tooth, all the decay must be removed first.

VF

i agree. i think thrashing the old guys for what they did only ensures that less of them come forward and less is done to make the transformation. the TdF organizers trashing Riis is the most blatant and worst of it. Will any ex tour winner come forward now and admit to wrong doing? I doubt it. By their actions they are encouraging omerta. For example, Indurain. Will he come and talk about his past now? I highly doubt it.