PDA

View Full Version : Best GPS?

majorpat
06-29-2007, 08:52 AM
Looking for opinions on best GPS to use for bike touring/rando. So far, most mappers have roads down to state routes but I will need local roads as well. Not too worried about handlebar mount, will keep in pocket if necessary. I mostly want the ability to change route on the fly on smaller roads, with mapping capability.
Of course, I could just photocopy my DeLorme atlas but was interested to see if anyone has experience with this, and, as a Marine I am embarrassed to admit that a GPS is actually useful. Map and Compass forever! Thanks.
Pat

Chad Engle
06-29-2007, 09:26 AM
Majorpat:
I recently used a Lowrance ifinder Explorer while on a fishing trip in MN. It was very nice marking way points on the large lakes so that we could find our way back if needed. It also had the state highways and major roads to assist while driving, I believe that you can purchase/download more area specific maps. I think it is about $150.00 retail.

I would describe it as a little too big or heavy for a jersey pocket, but it would fit in any small bag/pannier with ease.

I don't have anything to compare it to, but for a first timer it was very user friendly. Don't feel bad using the GPS, shooting a back azimuth is not easy to do from your bicycle!!

Bud
06-29-2007, 09:37 AM
GPS works best when coupled with map and compass use and skills. The two are not mutually exclusive technologies or approaches to navigation, imho.

That said, any of the Garmin products have decent maps available. You would need to be the MapSource product of your choice (such as US Topo) and upload it for the area of interest. These maps are much more detailed than the included base maps, but are the only way to go if you need minor roads, physiographic features, etc.

Look at the Etrex series...

Cinci Jim
06-29-2007, 10:57 AM
I got this unit for several reasons:

Splashproof
AA batteries
Electronic compass & Barometer
WAAS enabled
Supports turn by turn guidance.
Handlebar mount
Color
Good maps available (unfortunately somewhat pricy)
SD Micro card slot

As an Artillery Officer, I too have a thing for maps; but the ease of use, the ability to make routes on the laptop and upload them or download data at the end of a ride is great.

Unfortunately, no one seems to make a unit that offers mapping and cadence/HR.

JohnS
06-29-2007, 11:33 AM
I got this unit for several reasons:

Splashproof
AA batteries
Electronic compass & Barometer
WAAS enabled
Supports turn by turn guidance.
Handlebar mount
Color
Good maps available (unfortunately somewhat pricy)
SD Micro card slot

As an Artillery Officer, I too have a thing for maps; but the ease of use, the ability to make routes on the laptop and upload them or download data at the end of a ride is great.

Unfortunately, no one seems to make a unit that offers mapping and cadence/HR.Everything but turn-by-turn guidance is available on the Vista CX for $150 cheaper.

Grant McLean
06-29-2007, 01:38 PM
Unfortunately, no one seems to make a unit that offers mapping and cadence/HR.

I heard that Polar is launching a new series of Heart Rate monitors units
with GPS in the fall. Not sure what features they will have in the map
and compass department...
but they'll have heart rate, cadence, and all the usual speed and distance
stuff.

g

malcolm
06-29-2007, 02:35 PM
I've yet to find anyone produce a gps better or easier to use than garmin. I've fished offshore for many years and used the vast majority of units and next to northstar garmin is the best. I've got hand helds, a 305 and a nuvi on the way, not to mention the fixed mount boat stuff. I would look at the garmin e-trex and just make sure there is the detail you need available on a card before you buy. Most preloaded street level detail won't be enough in the boonies.