PDA

View Full Version : Seven Cycles article in Outside magazine

guyintense
06-28-2007, 02:49 PM
A couple of interesting points in the article.
"Unlike most of the bikes manufactured by fabled boutique brands like Moots and Serotta, virtually every Seven is custom-built."
And "Vandermark didn't want to live the life of the typical frame-building artisan, who gets sucked into the romance of fabricating elegant machinery and then suffers the hand-to-mouth reality of being a one-man show."

"hand-to-mouth reality of being a one-man show."

I wonder if that's why Mr. Steelman is throwing in the towel?

David Kirk
06-28-2007, 02:54 PM
The world has always been "Vandermark-centric".

Dave

mosca
06-28-2007, 03:01 PM
It seems ironic that Serotta is used as an example in this manner - Serotta has virtually defined the modern custom fit process and I wonder how many of those custom Sevens have benefitted from the system that Serotta created.

Gonna have to buy the magazine I guess...

Climb01742
06-28-2007, 03:01 PM
"hand-to-mouth reality of being a one-man show."

that might be news to richie and TK.

his path sounds like a rationalization, no?

Steelhead
06-28-2007, 03:10 PM
Is Brent Steelman closing shop !!??!! Dang - I always wanted one of his - nearly got one instead of my CDA but with went the Serotta because of my relationship with the LBS.

BSteele
06-28-2007, 03:10 PM
Steelman's throwing in the towel?? If true, that just sucks. One of the best riding frames I've had was a steel SR, and I'm still kicking myself for selling it.

:crap:

rsl
06-28-2007, 03:36 PM
If true, that is too bad! Early on when I was learning about custom builders, I lusted after one of his bikes. I still check his website for the "bike of the week" pictures fairly often.

benb
06-28-2007, 03:46 PM
It seems ironic that Serotta is used as an example in this manner - Serotta has virtually defined the modern custom fit process and I wonder how many of those custom Sevens have benefitted from the system that Serotta created.

Gonna have to buy the magazine I guess...

This irony is definitely not lost on me.

I like my Serotta.. but Serotta is not doing a good job with marketing.. maybe that's the way they like it, they want the bikes & fitting process to sell itself.

But to hear people out on the road, these companies that are more active with marketing, sponsorship, etc.. have convinced plenty of cyclists that a Seven or say IF is WAY better then a Serotta. Even if the Seven/IF is drafted using Serotta's size-cycle & fit process, etc..

I'm sure a lot of that has to do with the way road cyclists follow fads.. but it's still something that should be addressed.

Lifelover
06-28-2007, 08:18 PM
......I'm sure a lot of that has to do with the way road cyclists follow fads.......

Seven is the new Serotta! By that a mean the in vogue bike for dentist, doctors, etc. By no means anything wrong with that it just the newest fad.

If Seven can stand the test of time as well as Serotta than more power to them.

sg8357
06-28-2007, 11:30 PM
A couple of interesting points in the article.
"Unlike most of the bikes manufactured by fabled boutique brands like Moots and Serotta, virtually every Seven is custom-built."

custom ti & carbon Seven with magic wiggle stays
or lowly stock steel Pegoretti ?
Hmmmmm, decided, that didn't take long.

Scott G.

pdxmech13
06-28-2007, 11:49 PM
is this a shot at the republican party ? :confused:

slowgoing
06-29-2007, 01:01 AM
The more I hear about Seven the less I like them.