PDA

View Full Version : "Low End" Bike Recommendation

jimp1234
06-28-2007, 11:08 AM
A friend of mine, someone who I raced with in the 70's, is thinking about riding again and asked for a bike recommendation. He's not ridden much for the last 15 - 20 years but was a strong Cat 3 when we rode together. He's looking to "dip his toe in the water" so to speak, and was wanting to spend around $1000 for a complete bike. I've told him to stick with Trek or Specialized but I haven't looked at low end bikes in so long I'm not sure if that's the best advice. Any other ideas? Btw, he used to ride a 61 or so ST c-c so if anyone has a bike they're thinking of getting rid of in that size/price range let me know and I'll pass the info along. Finally, I told him to find a good local lbs to check him for size, so anyone have a recommendation for shops with good fitters in the Miami / South Beach area?

thanx

-Jim

MarcusPless
06-28-2007, 11:11 AM
He might also want to check out Fuji for even more "bang for the buck".

--Marcus

Jason E
06-28-2007, 11:51 AM
Trek's 1500 is real nice. Ultegra 9speed triple Crankset and Front Mech, 105 9 speed shifters, Ultegra Rear Mech, Carbon Fork and Seat Post. Quality Aluminum Frame, Nice Wheels, Candy Red.

$949.00

Real good deal, IMO.

RABikes2
06-28-2007, 11:53 AM
Trek's 1500 is real nice. Ultegra 9speed triple Crankset and Front Mech, 105 9 speed shifters, Ultegra Rear Mech, Carbon Fork and Seat Post. Quality Aluminum Frame, Nice Wheels, Candy Red.
$949.00 Real good deal, IMO.
+1

MilanoTom
06-28-2007, 11:56 AM
Since he takes a pretty big size, it might be worth calling his local shops to see if they have any 2006 or 2007 leftovers in his size. He could end up getting a lot more bike for his thousand bucks.

Too Tall
06-28-2007, 12:13 PM
A used 'dale.

RABikes2
06-29-2007, 08:25 AM
A used 'dale.
...not to disagree, but why buy "used" when a new bike can be purchased at that price with new everything AND a warranty? MilanoTom has a very good point. That's a big frame and bike stores are looking to make sales now to make room for the incoming '08's. I know folks here don't like certain brands, but the Trek 1500 is a lot of bike for that price and it's a pretty nice bike. Just saying...
RA
Welcome home to you and the Queen...missed you guys lots! ;)

Moosedryvr
06-29-2007, 08:35 AM
I love Cannondales & think they make a great "entry" bike with their CAAD 9 frames, but they get pretty pricey quick. I would have to agree with the above poster who recommended Fuji. These are great starter frames and the build kit that comes with them makes them insanely great deals. Get a Ultegra/105 Fuji and if your buddy sticks with it and gets the bug he can transfer the parts to a nicer frame/fork. My $.02

Shawn G

thwart
06-29-2007, 09:57 AM
I think you'd be a fool not to look at eBay or---better yet---this Forum for good used bikes before a buying a new one... especially if you have friends or relatives that can help you with the process/know something about bikes.

You can't beat the "value for dollar" ratio in a good used bicycle. :beer:

eddief
06-29-2007, 10:02 AM
Some poopoo these, but I own one and like it a lot. Light as a bug, decent equipment, and reasonably priced. All over the place starting at $1k or a bit more.

gt6267a
06-29-2007, 10:11 AM
...not to disagree, but why buy "used" when a new bike can be purchased at that price with new everything AND a warranty? MilanoTom has a very good point. That's a big frame and bike stores are looking to make sales now to make room for the incoming '08's. I know folks here don't like certain brands, but the Trek 1500 is a lot of bike for that price and it's a pretty nice bike. Just saying...
RA
Welcome home to you and the Queen...missed you guys lots! ;)

i bought a used legend with 10 speed record for $1600. ok, even on the used market i got a good deal. that said, i don't think anything new for 1600 will come close to as nice as my toy. if you don't have to have new and you don't have a specific item in mind ... i gotta have a CDA with this paint scheme and this fork and this that ... there are some nice deals to be had on the used market.

cmg
06-29-2007, 10:12 AM
"I think you'd be a fool not to look at eBay or---better yet---this Forum for good used bikes before a buying a new one"

+ yep this is good idea. there are still great deals to be had on ebay. check out his forum or RBR classifieds. ask alot of questions, ask to see e-photos.

RABikes2
06-29-2007, 10:42 AM
He's looking to "dip his toe in the water" so to speak, and was wanting to spend around $1000 for a complete bike. I've told him to stick with Trek or Specialized but I haven't looked at low end bikes in so long I'm not sure if that's the best advice. Any other ideas? thanx-Jim
It was an answer to Jim's inquiry; $1000 for a complete bike. We see stuff come in the shop that was "such a deal" and it's crap. Buying from the Forum classifieds is probably a good thing and I've never done e-bay, but I'm sure those that have, have better advice and knowledge. Hope he finds a nice ride, Jim. :)
RA

jimp1234
06-29-2007, 03:16 PM
Thanks all..

-Jim

Ken Robb
06-29-2007, 04:53 PM
I had a BAD experience with an entry-level bikes from one of the BIG companies. It all checked out (within spec+ 2mm variance from straight) but it wobbled under my 200lbs uncontrollably at speeds of 32mph and above. The shop finally admitted that they had no such problems with that model in smaller sizes the 60 and 62cm bikes weren't good for a lot of riders.

I told this whole tale to a prospective buyer of my bike and insisted that he gtake a test ride down a local hill where 40-47mph is easily attained. He came back and couldn't give me the $$$ fast enough as he was getting a $1,000 bike with a few hundred miles for $600.

I'd buy used or call UC Cyclery in San Diego. They are becoming a Specialized only store and are selling off their Cannondales and Treks at good prices.

samtaylor1
06-29-2007, 05:17 PM
A lemond Sarthe is 1200- great steel road bike with 105 components. Great bike.

thwart
06-29-2007, 07:30 PM
Yep, the Sarthe is a great bike. No doubt.

But, to illustrate a point... the 2005 Colorado III I've listed in the classies is also built with 10 speed 105... but has high-end Dura Ace wheels, not entry level hoops. And even the marketing dept at Trek/LeMond would likely admit that their Taiwan built frame is not of the same quality as that of a carefully built, multi-shaped tube Serotta... and the price is exactly the same. And there are even better deals out there, I'd bet.

Again, if you know what you're doing, used is the way to go. Especially in this price range.

ATMO. :D

kerrycycle
06-30-2007, 06:53 AM
A lot of the posts already here are dead-on...although I have a hard time recommending a Trek...ever (just call it a personal thing). Over the last couple of years, I have helped a number of newbies find bikes and get into racing. By buying a used bike (i.e. Ebay (if careful), roadbikereview.com, the forum post), he will get more for his money. Here is what I have recommended to people:

Cannnondale, CAAD8 or CAAD9 (great workhorses for the $)
Specialized Allez
Cervelo, Soloist Team (my personal favorite for most bang for the dollar)
Felt, F75 (I think that is the right model)
Bianchi
Jamis
Fuji
Lemond
Giant