PDA

View Full Version : Back from the Elite Tour

znfdl
06-28-2007, 09:02 AM
I am back.

Byron aka Geezer described my intent on the ride quite well as I remained upbeat throughout the tour even though I experienced some problems. This tour should have been called the Elite Headwind Tour, as the headwinds were pretty consisten across the country. Only one day did we have a good tail wind. The second day of the tour, I got cooked in the dessert as it was 106F with a stiff headwind / crosswind. My ride that day finished 50 miles short of the 191 mile goal. That night I decided to help as many people as possible achieve their goal of riding every inch of the tour. This made the tour incredible enriching for me and when I got a comment from Susan Notorangelo that she was very proud of me for constantly helping other riders made me feel incredible.

One rider who was exhausted on the double century day, I pulled him for the final 125 miles at an average speed of over 18 mph to get him in before the time cut off by 30 minutes. The hug of gratitude that I got from him was a great reward for my effort. On other days I would routinely pull a group of riders for 50-60 miles at 19-20mph to give them a break.

These efforts counterbalanced some of the health problems that I encountered while riding the bike, which included severe bouts of Vasal Vagal Syncope. On the fourth day I was climbing and stood up to give my butt a break and I started seeing stars and had to sit by the road for 5 minutes before the episode passed. After my break I started to climb again and had another episode and called it a day. I finally figured out that huge amounts of caffeine would counter balance the dizziness. I guess that I will finally have to schedule my tilt table test.

A mechanical problem I had was when my bottom bracket went south on me and it took 4 days for me to figure out that there was something wrong with it. One day I started to over shift going into the large ring and just thought that my bike needed some adjustment. By the fourth day, my inner chain ring was rubbing on the chain stay. The spindle shifted on me and was off kilter by a little less than a 1/4 of an inch. The bearings also had a fair amount of drag. It is hard to imagine how much extra effort I had to put into cycle those 700+ miles.

Overall, this was a truly rewarding experience and I look forward to the next time the tour is run. I also learned a lot about my body and how I would change my strategy on the bike. I will try to post some pictures and a more complete journal in the near term.

barry1021
06-28-2007, 09:13 AM
I am adding you to my "Cycling Heroes" list. Well done.

b21

Bud
06-28-2007, 09:17 AM
Congrats, man. What an accomplishment! It's great to hear about your support of others and the camaraderie that developed. I look forward to reading your journals.

Birddog
06-28-2007, 09:18 AM
Way to go Zn, I'm sure your efforts were appreciated. Just curious if you rode any of the Talimena Drive and what your thoughts were. I've ridden it fresh and some of my comments aren't PG.

Birddog

RABikes2
06-28-2007, 09:21 AM
You are AWESOME, Stu. Congratulations on a job "well done"! Will look forward to the photos and reading your write-ups.

Can you tell me how the Kaiser brothers and Dan Fuoco did? I've rode with Kevin and Chris on the Bonifay brevets and Dan on the south Florida brevets. I saw a photo after the finish that Dan was in, but it wasn't a clear enough photo to make out you or the Kaiser's.

Again, you are amazing. The many rewards of helping others to achieve their dreams will be with you forever.

Ritaann

Tom
06-28-2007, 09:32 AM
You wrote: "One rider who was exhausted on the double century day, I pulled him for the final 125 miles at an average speed of over 18 mph to get him in before the time cut off by 30 minutes. The hug of gratitude that I got from him was a great reward for my effort. On other days I would routinely pull a group of riders for 50-60 miles at 19-20mph to give them a break. "

It had to be a hell of a lot of fun to be able to do that, but still I am amazed at the spirit and the riding ability that had to take. That's amazing. I couldn't pull a group like that even one day in a row, that's just beyond anything I could imagine for myself.

rwsaunders
06-28-2007, 05:23 PM
Welcome home.

slowgoing
06-28-2007, 05:37 PM
Great job. Has to be a lot more fun than having some jerk intentionally block the bike path with his bike on the morning commute

And while I don't know what "Vasal Vagal Syncope" is, so far I have resisted the urge to look it up. Too much information, I fear.

Smiley
06-28-2007, 05:49 PM
U Da Man ! Red Grape dude :banana:

72gmc
06-28-2007, 06:05 PM
Thank you, znfdl, for the story and for your attitude.

Please do have the vasal vagal syncope investigated by your doctor. I had an episode a year ago while I was behind the wheel. The car is now fixed and my wife was not hurt, but I learned that day that the slow heart rate I've always been proud of can be a negative when conditions are just right.

Climb01742
06-28-2007, 06:47 PM
there are a couple of ways to measure a cyclist's heart. whatever a doctor may say, you score off the charts on the most important one...compassion.

djg
06-28-2007, 10:20 PM
Good work znfndl. You hung in there, and you made it mean something.

Kol hakavod.

Look after yourself.

BoulderGeek
06-29-2007, 04:05 AM
What an impressive tale.

Again, the levels of reality, sensitivity and life experience on this board go far deeper than any mere hobby topic site. I'm constantly amazed by how consistently amazed one can be by listening to you folks.

Superhuman effort, Zin! I guess all of those polyphenols really do help. :banana:

NicaDog
06-29-2007, 04:28 AM
As somone who has had to take a pull every now and then to finish a long ride, I can really appreciate what you did for all those folks.

Congrats!

billrick
06-29-2007, 07:11 AM
This is one of those rare efforts that I would call HEROIC. Most everyone I know would degenerate into pity and blame under those circumstances. To turn it around and say - Hey, I'm going to help others achieve the goal - WOW. I am at a loss for words. You are an amazing individual. I'd ride cross country with you any day!

:)

Kevan
06-29-2007, 07:29 AM
Oh, I guess you already are toasted. Hmm...well, here's to you Zn. Bravo!

Len J
06-29-2007, 07:31 AM
it's hard enough to help yourself......to help others is amazing!

It will be interesting when you do finish this ride completely, to look back and see which event you remember with more affection.

Inspiring, truly inspiring.

Next time I'm ready to brag about my solo century, I'm gonna hold my tongue.

Len

zap
06-29-2007, 09:47 AM
Way to go zin.

If I may put this in simple terms, the way you helped others shows that you are not only a team player, but also a gritty leader.

I'm interested to hear what preparatory changes you have in mind for the next event.

RABikes2
06-29-2007, 10:48 AM
Well Stu, are you rested yet? ;) If so, and you're bored, need a new adventure, and a little travel, it would be awesome if you'd consider pulling me (I can't speak for the other PBP'ers here) through PBP! ;) :p
RA

dauwhe
06-29-2007, 10:54 AM
I'll sign up for that! I'll pay a dollar a mile :)

Dave

RABikes2
06-29-2007, 11:05 AM
I'll sign up for that! I'll pay a dollar a mile :)Dave
I like the way Dave thinks! :p
RA

39cross
06-29-2007, 02:14 PM
Glad you made it back in one piece - I was a little worried for you when there was no news. And I'm also glad you were able to make a good thing of it - welcome back!

znfdl
07-01-2007, 08:45 PM
All:

Thanks for all of your kind words, I am somewhat at loss for words.

I will be happy to pull anyone who will travel to the Commonwealth of Virginny.

RA: Sorry, but I will not be doing PBP ;)

I am looking forward to my normal commute tomorrow and need to talk to Too Tall to develop a plan for my next adventure.

RABikes2
07-01-2007, 11:36 PM
RA: Sorry, but I will not be doing PBP ;)
Well Stu, if you decide your wife could use a Paris vacation in August, please be assured that dauwhe and I will be happy to "follow" your lead! ;) We'll only need 90 hours of your time!
Welcome home! :banana:
RA

soulspinner
07-02-2007, 06:00 AM
To help others while you suffer is remarkable and speaks to who you are. I tip my hat to you sir. :beer:

Rapid Tourist
07-02-2007, 08:41 PM
Myself and the good folks at Caribou missed seeing you bright and early! Welcome home and nicely done indeed :) :)

znfdl
07-06-2007, 12:17 PM
I have posted pictures from Pac Tour at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9695336@N06/

Many of the pictures were too blurry and had to be deleted.

jeffg
07-06-2007, 12:27 PM
Wow!