PDA

View Full Version : Italy

malcolm
06-27-2007, 11:57 PM
Going the 6th of July. We will be staying in Tuscany, I think the city/town is Lucca. We've rented a villa/farmhouse and will be there 7 days then to Venice for 3 days and home. We will have a car/van to use at will and will have my family and the wifes brothers family. Looking for suggestions, things to do see etc.. There is at least one day planned for Florence, most everything else is open to suggestion. Thanks, Malcolm

Climb01742
06-28-2007, 04:32 AM
when you're in venice, drive up to the old hill town of asolo. drop dead gorgeous. have a coffee and gelato at the cafe in the town center and watch all the riders come by. enjoy your trip.

goonster
06-28-2007, 05:54 AM
Don't try to plan everything in advance. Leave open time to improvise. Remember that few restaurants open before 8, 7:30 at the very earliest, for dinner. Allow three hours for dinner, especially with a large group.

Look, and ask around, for places called "agriturismo". These are family-run (generally) eateries serving "simple" food that are restricted, by government policies, to lower prices.

I'm here in Lombardy (which I love) on business, and the locals can't stop talking about how nice it is in Toscana. Enjoy.

Hokiemon
06-28-2007, 09:19 AM
You may want to plan for more time in Florence. My guess is that you will like it better than Venice. We stayed at a rented villa in a small town named Tignano, which was equidistant from Florence and Sienna. We rented cars and also used public transportation. If you want to rent a bike, make sure you do it in advance, as I had a very difficult time in finding a "racing bike". Better yet, take your own. Have a great time, I know that you will love it. I can't wait to go back.

Hardlyrob
06-28-2007, 10:07 AM
You will want to spend more than one day in Florence, and probably more than a day in Sienna - both are spectacular. San Gimignano is also worth the trip - just to see the goofy towers built as part of various noble fueds of the 14th century.

If you want to rent a bike in Florence go to Florence by Bike - aluminum Bianchi's with Campy road triples - you will need every tooth on the hills.

It might also be worth the excursion to Gaiole in Chianti and Radda in Chianti. picturesque little towns in the center of the wine district. If you are driving, keep in mind that the squiggles on the map understate how twisty the roads are, and that any road that is white is unpaved, but pretty smooth.

In Venice, don't miss La Schola De La Roche - unbelievable art on the ceiling of the second floor. Three days isn't nearly enough time in Venice. If you like glass, go to Murano, and watch the artisans make stuff, but be very skeptical of prices and the sales pitches. You probably have better luck at the established galleries - Venini, Barovier and Tosa etc.

Ciao!

Rob

Bradford
06-28-2007, 10:24 AM
More days in Florence, and when there...

Rent a guide for the Uffizi Gallery...worth every penny. (And if you have a bunch of people, it is actually not expensive)

Go to the Capella Medici. We stumbled on it and it was one of the best experiences we had.

You must go to the Galleria dell'Accademia to see the David and Palestrina Pietà.

Take the walking tour to the top of the Duomo.

Make sure you get tickets to the museums in advance so you do not have to wait.

MarinRider
06-28-2007, 11:03 AM
Lucca is a very charming city. It is also a cycling mecca with regular weekly rides ride / races scheduled throughout the summer.

Look for small bike shop name "Polti" in Lucca. It is OLD school. There are other shops in Lucca that hav fancier bikes but Polti is the real thing. You can find some great clothing in there for 30% of what they cost in the US. They hold a sunday ride every week in front of the shop. They also sponsored Mr. Cipollini in his younger days who still show up for weekly rides on occassion.

Have fun!

thwart
06-29-2007, 10:34 AM
If you're in Tuscany, there are a multitude of "hill towns" that are beautiful. We spent almost a week last year in Cortona, and loved it. To be honest, it was much more fun (and certainly more relaxing) than visiting the larger and well-known cities outlined above. Unfortunately, at this time of the year they are mobbed with tourists. I think the biggest mistake you could make when visiting Italy is to focus on all the "must-see" attractions, and not to spend a substantial amount of time in the smaller, less touristy towns.

That said, you are close enough that I would try to take in Cinque Terra---beaches and neat trains for the kids, and spectacular sights and ambiance for the adults. Walk the path between towns to burn off the gelato.

As other people have said, I would go back in a moment, given the opportunity.

dave thompson
06-29-2007, 11:01 AM
If you're in Tuscany, there are a multitude of "hill towns" that are beautiful. We spent almost a week last year in Cortona, and loved it. To be honest, it was much more fun (and certainly more relaxing) than visiting the larger and well-known cities outlined above. Unfortunately, at this time of the year they are mobbed with tourists. I think the biggest mistake you could make when visiting Italy is to focus on all the "must-see" attractions, and not to spend a substantial amount of time in the smaller, less touristy towns.;

That said, you are close enough that I would try to take in Cinque Terra---beaches and neat trains for the kids, and spectacular sights and ambiance for the adults. Walk the path between towns to burn off the gelato.

As other people have said, I would go back in a moment, given the opportunity.
I agree! Rather than having some sort of itinerary, go where the road takes you, see wha lies around the next corner. A voyage of discovery leads to the greatest pleasures.

Joel
06-29-2007, 01:15 PM
Malcom,

Lucca is wonderful! The city has an ancient wall and you can ride on the bike path that is on top of the wall. It's so wonderful that even my non-cycling wife wanted to rent bikes. :cool:

The bike shop "Poli" is wonderful as noted. They have team jerseys there that are sure to get a comment or two on the road when you get back! I should have bought two. :crap: The shop is back by one of the city gates. You HAVE to go there, and check out the pictures on the walls. Must, must, must. Very cool place :) Then rent a bike, pack a picnic lunch, bottle of wine and ride with a huge smile on your face!

I have a picture of the shop with the aforementioned owner standing in front of it, if you want a copy please let me know. I just don't feel comfortable posting it without his permission, but it may make it easier for you to find the shop.

Best,

Joel

BoulderGeek
08-02-2007, 09:54 AM
Please tell us your experiences with this trip!

I am off to my Italian cycling vacation on the 18th to the 26th of August.

I have a rail pass with 4 hops free. I would just like to keep the expenses to around $125 a day. All advice is welcomed and desired.