PDA

View Full Version : Bike recommendations, please

woolly
06-19-2004, 09:56 AM
One of my RAGBRAI friends from Kansas City now finds himself in the market for a new bike, price range $2K (MAYBE a little wiggle room, but very little). He currently rides a 55cm Bianchi w/ a 55cm top tube (and with Sora components, unfortunately).

Two of the bikes he's considering are the Litespeed Firenze and the Specialized Allez Comp CroMo. I looked up the spec's on these two, and both seem to be in the ballpark as far as fit goes. Both also look to be a pretty good value (in fact, if I only had $1600 to spend on a bike for myself, that steel Specialized would probably go right to the top of the list).

He said that he'd really like to try a Ti bike (maybe steel, but no aluminum please), but was concerned about it fitting in the budget. I'm also pretty sure he's looking for a good, well-rounded package that will last him for a while, one that he will not soon "outgrow" as he keeps increasing his mileage. With this in mind, I don't think he's in the position to blow the whole budget on a frameset and cheap components, with the intention of upgrading the components piecemeal.

He also mentioned the new LeMond spine bikes, but I have no experience with them, including the price ranges for the various models. I vaguely recall someone on this forum several months ago (DNovo?) who picked up a dual-material frameset and posted favorable reviews - maybe it was one of these?

Anyway, my friend would also consider a used Serotta in tip-top condition, but even a used one may end up being outside his budget.

Thanks in advance for what I'm sure will be the usual collection of helpful responses. Helping other people spend money on bikes is SO much fun!!!

- Chris

rwl
06-19-2004, 10:22 AM
Finding a used Serotta Ti for 2K is certainly very possible; There's one on ebay now that fits the bill for 1800 buy-it-now (no relation to seller). I'd spend a few bucks with a fitter, first.
Rick

woolly
06-19-2004, 10:39 AM
Thanks Rick, I agree. He's going to be out shopping today, and that's one of the first items on the agenda - to get a fitting completed. I remember that his fit on his current bike is pretty good, and that he has no specific discomfort that he complains of. Still, the size dimensions I quoted are from the Bianchi website, based on what size sticker he remembered being on his current bike. I asked him to measure the frame himself, so I could be on the lookout for the right size in a good used bike. This should be less of an issue w/ the new models, assuming that the shops he's going to are of any quality at all.

And thanks for the pointer to the Serotta on Ebay - I had seen the Atlanta for $750 But It Now, but had somehow overlooked the other one.

eddief
06-19-2004, 10:54 AM
See my previous post re: Allez. Nice ride, great value. Another practical option is an off the rack or custom Habanero. Mark Hickey at Haba will do custom Eastern-made, way Eastern, ti for $995. As they say, "90% of the ride for blank % of the price."

Jeff N.
06-19-2004, 01:45 PM
Neither.

woolly
06-19-2004, 03:05 PM
Blastinbob - you have mail.

vaxn8r
06-19-2004, 04:30 PM
I hate to be a broken record about Cannondales, but I had the same price restrictions earlier this year and I came away with a Caad7. He really ought to ride one before dismissing them. I like the Specialized too but it is not up to par with a Caad7. You really can ride these all day (I've done a couple of centuries on mine with no problem) and they handle and climb and descend like few other bikes. He needs to ride some bikes and not get caught up in preconceived ideas or hype.

FYI I spent $2k even for Caad7, mostly Ultegra, 105 brakes (same thing) and Ksyrium TdF. Hard to beat that.

Used would be another good option if the perfect bike came along. That may take a year or so of patience (and a great deal of trust as I've heard some horror stories about used bikes and wheels bought off the internet).

shaq-d
06-19-2004, 05:07 PM
Anyway, my friend would also consider a used Serotta in tip-top condition, but even a used one may end up being outside his budget.

plenty of used serotta TI's can be available with record/chorus, or dura ace/600, for $1000-1500, on ebay. if he keeps a lookout for a month he'll probably find one.

sd

eddief
06-19-2004, 06:00 PM
If so, what would your opinion be? Just curious.

coylifut
06-19-2004, 07:19 PM
As mentioned before, I recently sold, on roadbikereview.com, a bike that retailed at 3k for $1,500. It was truly in pristine condition with new rubber, brake pads, bar wrap and a chain. The guy who bought it emails me from time to time to thank me for the deal and tell me how much he enjoys it.

vaxn8r
06-19-2004, 07:46 PM
OK, I'd buy used from just about anyone on this forum since we're all pretty fanatical about our bikes. Well, some more than others I guess...I mean, would anyone buy Eric's Legend after the napkin incident?

Sorry Eric...I'm sure you're bike is OK ;) ;)

eddief
06-19-2004, 07:47 PM
http://classifieds.consumerreview.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.pl?db=Road&website=RoadbikeReview&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=44593&query=retrieval

According to the TST site that would give you a 54.5 top tube.

ericmurphy
06-19-2004, 10:48 PM
OK, I'd buy used from just about anyone on this forum since we're all pretty fanatical about our bikes. Well, some more than others I guess...I mean, would anyone buy Eric's Legend after the napkin incident?

Sorry Eric...I'm sure you're bike is OK ;) ;)

Yeah, the bike's fine. There are a few minor (and I mean barely visible) scratches on the drive-side chain and seat stays, but I'm sure they'll be lost in the noise of the random nicks and scratches every frame picks up in a couple of hundred miles.

I got my parts back from City Cycle, but unfortunately I did not get the napkin back.

Kevin
06-20-2004, 04:53 AM
If he wants a Ti frame in that price range take a look at the current catalogue for Colrado Cyclist. They have the Litespeed Classic, with Shimano Ultegra, on sale for $2599, its normally $3700. They also have the Litespeed Firenze, with Ultegra, for $2,095. He can also just keep an eye on e-bay.

Kevin

woolly
06-20-2004, 08:09 AM
Thank you all! It sounds like my buddy is working out a deal w/ Blastinbob on that suh-weeeeet CDA that he had listed in the classifieds here. :banana:

It appears to be quite the win/win/win situation. Blastinbob gets to sell his CDA to make room for a new addition, my friend Wayne gets a gourgeous Serotta, and I get to harrass Wayne b/c he ended up on a nice steel bike (which was exactly what I kept telling him he really needed from the beginning). :D

Cheers!

:beer: