PDA

View Full Version : Old Farts are FAST

sokyroadie
06-27-2007, 05:14 PM
Check out some of the times for the 10K TT at the Senior Games/Senior Olympics. In my age group (50-54) the winning time was 12:44 avg. speed 29.2 MPH. Not to shabby for a bunch of old geezers :rolleyes: Actually the Games are a lot of fun and there were a LOT of really fast cyclists in attendance. The last race was today.
http://www.2007seniorgames.com/compfiles/cycling10k_TTpreliminary.pdf

JB

Sandy
06-27-2007, 05:19 PM
Those are not old geezers. They are youngsters!! :) :)

:) Sixty Six Serotta Sandy :)

Kevan
06-27-2007, 05:27 PM
alright.

Sandy
06-27-2007, 05:30 PM
just right.

Smiling Sandy

Lanternrouge
06-27-2007, 05:30 PM
FWIW, at Fiesta Island, the the times in the 40-49 and 50-59 age groups are usually much more competitive at the top than the 19-29 and 30-39 categories.

mike p
06-27-2007, 07:13 PM
Our local weekly 10 mi. TT is almost always won by 45 to55 yr old in just a little over 18 minutes.

Mike

chuckroast
06-27-2007, 07:34 PM
Well, this old fart's not that fast but I'm loyal and dependable.

MarinRider
06-27-2007, 08:22 PM
We have bunch of ex-pros and ex-national and ex-world champs ripping up the master races. Pretty inspiring when you line up for a race with 3 guys with rainbow stripes on their jerseys.

The District TT 40 KM overall winner is in the 40-45 class and an ex-national champ. He beat a local pro and the winner in the elite class by over a minute.

It's not about the age but always the engine and the tactical experience...

RABikes2
06-27-2007, 11:56 PM
Thanks for posting the link! I've been looking forward to seeing how my 78 year old friend, Gene Clark, from Albany, GA did at the games. Gene participated in the 10k TT and maybe one other race. Unbelievable, he did great! Yahoo!! :banana:

Back in April 2005, I started a thread on the forum about when and how I met Gene. And to think, two years later, he's at the Senior Olympics! Right after I met Gene, he came down to Tallahassee to our bike shop, got a new bike, shoes, pedals, computer, clothing, all the stuff and added bicycle training to his weekly gym regiment. He was excited and hooked. He did BRAG that year and has done many centuries since then. An amazing and interesting gentleman; he turned 78 on June 20th. :banana:

RA

Met any interesting characters recently?
We all seem wrapped up in the "newest, fastest, and the lastest pieces of equipment that I've got an experience to share from this weekend.

I participated in TOSRV (Tour of Springtime Rural Vistas), which starts in north Florida, for a two day ride of 100 miles, each day. The ride is on my training roads, an "out the back door" ride for us here. Between the 2-day, 100 mile option and the 2-day, metric option, there were close to 450 riders.

On Saturday, riders leave Quincy, FL and ride to Albany, GA, spend the night and return the 100 miles back to Quincy, GA on Sunday. Food is so fabulous on this ride; hot breakfast, great lunch (both days), and dinner Saturday night is provided, along with cake and ice cream at the finish on Sunday. It's a traveling party; wonderful volunteers, country roads, southern hospitality, you name it; it's got it.

I'm riding back from Albany on Sunday, we're at the lunch stop. Yumm...pb&j, turkey sandwich fixings, bean salad, pasta salad, cookies, soda. I'm sitting across from a gentleman that I engage in conversation with; talking to him was one of the highlights of the ride. Listen to this...his name is Gene (from Albany, GA), 75 years old, use to ride over 30 years ago. (Said he did a couple of centuries when he was 40.) Gene took out his bike two months ago, brought it into the shop to get lubed, and started doing a few 30 milers. He flipping did the 200 miles this weekend! The headwind was quite strong on Saturday; in the 15-20 mph area. And Sunday contained the famous climbs the ride is known for on the last 30 miles and w/ a short, butt-kicking climb, two miles from the finish. I couldn't believe the tenacity, spirit, and determination of this gentleman. He told me after the ride, that at his Monday, Kiwanis meetings, that if somebody has a story/joke/etc. to tell, they put a dollar in a jar to tell it. Last Monday, he put a dollar in the jar and told his fellow Kiwanis that he might have something to tell them this Monday (today). It was obvious Gene was exhausted, but thrilled, elated, and beyond joy with his accomplishment to be able to tell his buddies how he spent his weekend! And just an FYI on Gene's bike...what a classic! (From his estimation), it was a 1970 Schwinn Paramount. It was in excellent, primo condition; except he used toe straps. One of the straps broke on his way back Sunday and in his tennis shoes, one foot strapped in and one not, he STILL rode, climbed, and finished w/ finesse!

soulspinner
06-28-2007, 06:15 AM
Our local weekly 10 mi. TT is almost always won by 45 to55 yr old in just a little over 18 minutes.

Mike

Isnt that over 30 miles per hour? I thought that was pro speed!

Sandy
06-28-2007, 06:32 AM
He was only averaging 22 miles an hour, but went off of a very high cliff and wond up averaging 30 mph when he hit the ground. :) :)

Soaring Simpleton Serotta Sandy

zap
06-28-2007, 08:22 AM
Our club held a 10 m TT and the winning times were 18 something. Best times were between a young kiwi, I understand he later became kiwi national tt champ, and an old(er) fellow in VA who now lives in France.

wasfast
06-28-2007, 08:29 AM
Scanning over the age categories, there was a rider in the 90-94yr bracket. Man, that's impressive! I'd be scared to ride my bike at that age with brittle bones but it's really neat he's doing it.

zap
06-28-2007, 08:35 AM
Scanning over the age categories, there was a rider in the 90-94yr bracket. Man, that's impressive! I'd be scared to ride my bike at that age with brittle bones but it's really neat he's doing it.

That is impressive.

In the next decade or so I'm sure they'll have a 100+ category.

Keep it up Sandy....................... :banana:

Ahneida Ride
06-28-2007, 11:13 AM
30 mph is beyond my comprehension.

paulh
06-28-2007, 11:50 AM
http://www.postbulletin.com/newsmanager/templates/localnews_story.asp?a=298607&z=22

Me......, I'm just half fast.

slideways
07-01-2007, 09:12 PM
So it's true! When you're over the hill you gain speed.