PDA

View Full Version : OT: What's your Favorite condiment?

William
06-27-2007, 05:56 AM
What's your favorite condiment?

ME? Sriracha!! I would put it on just about everything if I could. In Oregon I could by this at the local Cub/Winco. I've yet to find it on the shelf here in Rhode Island. I have found some other brands but they are nowhere as good the Rooster sauce. So, right now it's special order only. Hey Hans, you know where I can find some on the shelf in L'il Rhody???

http://www.ishopindian.com/shop/files/proddetailimages/d_204.gif

William

(PS: Why you ask? As BD would say: <Burp> Why not!!!)

H.Frank Beshear
06-27-2007, 06:07 AM
Check the local Asian groceries, they'll have all sorts of goodies like Thai peppers and chili-garlic sauce as well. Yumm. Around here they are usually a bit less expensive as well.

sspielman
06-27-2007, 06:21 AM
You can search the entire globe, but there is no condiment that is quite the delicacy of Ketchup.....and only Heinz is real ketchup.

ti_boi
06-27-2007, 06:38 AM
I like MAYO....I know, lame.....but you can mix anything..including that awesome hot sauce in it, and it rocks.

William
06-27-2007, 06:40 AM
Check the local Asian groceries, they'll have all sorts of goodies like Thai peppers and chili-garlic sauce as well. Yumm. Around here they are usually a bit less expensive as well.

The local Asian grocery is Indian owned......they didn't know what I was talking about when I tried to described it to them. I'm not sure about the Providence area.

You can search the entire globe, but there is no condiment that is quite the delicacy of Ketchup.....and only Heinz is real ketchup.

Ummm, ketchup....only on fries and meat loaf though.

William

William
06-27-2007, 06:41 AM
I like MAYO....I know, lame.....but you can mix anything..including that awesome hot sauce in it, and it rocks.

Spicey Thousand Island dressing? :)

William

H.Frank Beshear
06-27-2007, 06:55 AM
The local Asian grocery is Indian owned......they didn't know what I was talking about when I tried to described it to them. I'm not sure about the Providence area.
William

Ours are all owned by Vietnamese,one them has a restaurant as well. I'd be lost without them. Our grocery stores are very limited for good Asian condiments as well. Heres one our favorite Mexican sauces. Nice flavor and good heat. I've got the girls hooked on it for eggs and hash browns.

BoulderGeek
06-27-2007, 07:02 AM
Durex. King of condiments...oh, uh, never mind.....

For reals, I finish bottles of Cholula like others finish beer. Going through some withdrawal in France right now, but I decided not to bring my North American culinary tastes with me (which it a tough weaning process).

I also love Coleman's English Mustard.

And English Brown Sauce (no idea who makes it, but it kicks butt with chips).

When I lived in England, curry sauce was mandatory at least once a day. Getting my fill of curries here in France, as well.

And, I find that everything in life is better when included with my favorite sauce of them all: St. Emelion Bordeaux. Substitute Ravenswood Zin, Kenwood Jack London Cabernet or Crozes-Hermitage, if you must.

William
06-27-2007, 07:02 AM
Ours are all owned by Vietnamese,one them has a restaurant as well. I'd be lost without them. Our grocery stores are very limited for good Asian condiments as well. Heres one our favorite Mexican sauces. Nice flavor and good heat. I've got the girls hooked on it for eggs and hash browns.

I've seen that on the shelf but haven't tried it yet. Will have to doo so.

William

CNY rider
06-27-2007, 07:04 AM
Absolutely love the stuff.
We "import" several bottles each time we go to Toronto or New York because we also are without a local supply.
One personal scorching favorite: Blackened grilled catfish with sriracha on the side.

ti_boi
06-27-2007, 07:08 AM
Spicey Thousand Island dressing? :)

William

Yeah....I'm a 'spicey tuna roll' addict.....and mayo is the key here....hot sauce would be BILLY BOBs....amazing little brand...hard to find....

William
06-27-2007, 07:15 AM
One personal scorching favorite: Blackened grilled catfish with sriracha on the side.

Man, my mouth is watering at the thought of that. :crap: :beer:

Another topper (great as a rub too) I like is Fuego Spice mix that I make at home. I got the recipe out of the "Chevy's & Rio Bravo Fresh Mex Cookbook".

Fuego Spice Mix

1/4 cup paprika
2 teaspoons cayenne
2 tablespoons salt
2 teaspoons ground white pepper
2 tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons oregano

Combine all ingredients, mixing well. Store in an airtight container, out of direct light

http://www.globalchefs.com/cookbook/images/freshMex.jpg

Like the produce it encourages its readers to use, this cookbook's style is fresh and festive. The instruction is lively, yet easy to follow. Annotated with helpful, "Fresh Mex Tips" throughout, the brightly illustrated book includes everything from drinks and appetizers to desserts.

In the "How to Use this Book" section, the authors claim the book contains "about 2,867 recipes" on its 123 pages. They explain that many of the basic recipes are building blocks for the dishes included later in the book. They hope readers are inspired to develop original "fresh mex" creations by first mastering the essentials, beans, rice and salsas.

Cooks are encouraged to read the recipes through before beginning as almost every recipe contains one or more of the "fundamental" components from the first chapter of the book. These fundamentals include Tomatillo Salsa Verde, New Mexico Red Chile Sauce, Chipotle Puree and about twenty others.

Emphasizing that using fresh produce and limiting canned ingredients requires a commitment of time, the "Day in the Life" section of the book details the prep work Chevy's Chef and staff perform daily. The work is time-consuming, but not complicated; mostly chopping, mincing, roasting and blending. Fresh, highly flavored dishes are the worthwhile result.

The authors themselves sum up the theme of their collection best. "Fresh Mex is a philosophy of cooking. But if you've been to Chevy's or Rio Bravo, you know that it's also something more. It's fun. Because when we say "fresh" we're not just talking about a perfectly ripe tomato or a beautiful piece of fish. We're talking about a casual, open-minded, unstuffy attitude."
And the same is true of Chevy's & Rio Bravo FRESH MEX COOKBOOK. It's clearly yet casually and enthusiastically written. The overriding message is clear. Make everyday a flavorful fiesta!

victoryfactory
06-27-2007, 07:32 AM
"Hunger is the best sauce"

VF

But mayo ain't bad either......

morty
06-27-2007, 07:45 AM
If you can't find it on the shelves, this site has a good selection and shipping is very reasonable.

http://www.importfood.com/

justinf
06-27-2007, 08:33 AM
My wife says it's cause I don't drink anymore:

http://shop.com.edgesuite.net/ccimg.shop.com/220000/229000/229056/products/28120140.jpg

93legendti
06-27-2007, 08:34 AM
Olive oil and Schug.

Dekonick
06-27-2007, 09:33 AM
Old Bay

Tom
06-27-2007, 10:17 AM
So we're in Dominica. I like bringing home hot sauce from places we go to, so at the market I approached a nice older lady in her stall and asked what she might have that was good. She showed me what was there, pretty much what you could get anywhere and she asked me what I liked. I said "tres piquant." She smiled this toothless smile and reached in the back of an upper shelf and brought down a 7oz Coke bottle filled with an orangey sauce. A piece of cloth tape was the label, one word hand written. "KARLS"

Oh, yeah. One drop was a symphony of hot. Not just one note of hot, but a whole symphony just pounding the crap out of something, the conductor up there waving and jabbing and jumping and yelling "God damn god damn god DAMN GO! GO! GO! GO! GO!"

Too bad there were probably six jars of that ever made.

inGobwetrust
06-27-2007, 10:31 AM
William,

Go to any Vietnamese restaurant and let them know you'd like to buy a bottle of it. They all keep it on every table as it's one of the standard condiments for Pho, along with hoisin sauce. If you can't find it let me know and I'll send you a few bottles.

rsl
06-27-2007, 10:33 AM
Does this count?

RIHans
06-27-2007, 10:38 AM
A BIG fav of mine. The lil' corner deli/butcher shop has it of the shelf in Greenwood! I will pick some up for you!! Drop it on Sunday at the gym.
In fact, one of my specials last night was:

Caribbean Spiced Grilled Chicken
Jerk Seasoned, Mango Salsa
Savory Rice, Sauteed Veg
(had some Sriracha artfully ziged and zaged for some heat and to showoff)
Sweet mango, hot Sriracha...Ying/Yang.

Regards...In the Kitchen,
Hans

davids
06-27-2007, 11:00 AM
http://www.cheesesupply.com/images/IMG_6055.jpg

gt6267a
06-27-2007, 11:37 AM
So we're in Dominica. I like bringing home hot sauce from places we go to, so at the market I approached a nice older lady in her stall and asked what she might have that was good. She showed me what was there, pretty much what you could get anywhere and she asked me what I liked. I said "tres piquant." She smiled this toothless smile and reached in the back of an upper shelf and brought down a 7oz Coke bottle filled with an orangey sauce. A piece of cloth tape was the label, one word hand written. "KARLS"

Oh, yeah. One drop was a symphony of hot. Not just one note of hot, but a whole symphony just pounding the crap out of something, the conductor up there waving and jabbing and jumping and yelling "God damn god damn god DAMN GO! GO! GO! GO! GO!"

Too bad there were probably six jars of that ever made.

In college a friend lived in st kitts (sp?) and he brought back some hot sauce in a ketchup bottle. It was ground up habanero peppers with a little something as a base, don’t know what. It was orange and wicked hot. A few drops was plenty of heat for a decent sized batch of almost anything. A teaspoon would kill you in a single serving sized portion. I think it is common in the islands to make these home grown sauces and bottle them in whatever is handy. Good stuff, but crazy hot.

Steelhead
06-27-2007, 11:49 AM
Assos Chamois Creme

Ozz
06-27-2007, 12:25 PM
... Heres one our favorite Mexican sauces. Nice flavor and good heat. I've got the girls hooked on it for eggs and hash browns.
+1 for Cholula

I like Trader Joe's Ketchup better than Heinz...it's a little spicier and smokey....kind of like mild BBQ sauce. They also use real sugar in it..... :D

Pesto (homemade is best, but Ciba isn't awful) is a good all purpose sandwich spread.

Sundried tomatoes, garlic, olives, your favorites herbs & spices and olive oil whippped up in a food processor is a good all purpose spread / tapenade also.

nobrakes
06-27-2007, 12:26 PM
Hey William,

Do you miss the fries from Mcminnimin's? I think their secret was they fried them in 30 wt. motor oil.

nobrakes
06-27-2007, 01:12 PM
A Portland favorite.

bozman
06-27-2007, 01:24 PM
El Yucateco green habanero hot sauce

It works on everything. Nice heat and great habanero flavor without overpowering the flavors of what you are adding it to. Simple perfection.

Alexi
06-27-2007, 03:04 PM
on the cock sauce an p-dot

just head up to boston hit one of the supper 88's and bring home a 5 gallon bucket of cock sauce.

pjm
06-27-2007, 03:28 PM
Trojan Magnum. Wait a minute....oh....condiment!

Kevan
06-27-2007, 03:38 PM
that stuff rocks. Before opening the thread I was thinking EVOO, then: http://www.plochman.com/plochman%20squirting%20squeeze.gif

vaxn8r
06-27-2007, 03:47 PM
This one's good...

Never mind. No uploading for some reason.

dauwhe
06-27-2007, 03:55 PM
Nothing better than butter and salt on corn, popped or fresh.

Nothing better than chocolate on, well, almost anything!

Dave "keep it simple" C.

m_moses
06-27-2007, 05:46 PM
I'm a Pro Lube fan myself . . . (oops, wrong thread)

You wouldn't think Sriracha would be so hard to find considering it's made in the US.

You can buy direct here: http://www.huyfong.com/frames/index.htm

inGobwetrust
06-28-2007, 07:56 AM
I could put blue cheese on just about anything. Does that count?

Steelhead
06-28-2007, 09:01 AM
Hatch, NM green chilis

Bud
06-28-2007, 09:21 AM
I like Sriracha too. It's on our regular grocery shelves out here, so let me know if you'd like me to send you a couple of bottles William. :cool:

I also like prepared horseradish as a condiment, as well as tabasco.

Serotta PETE
06-28-2007, 09:39 AM
wine or beer :beer:

39cross
06-28-2007, 10:51 AM
Whole Foods organic ketchup.

Moutarde de Meaux Pommery.

William
06-28-2007, 11:05 AM
Thank you for the offers folks! :cool: If I took all of you up on it I would be set for a while. :beer:

William

PS: Nobrakes, that's used 30 wt motor oil. from a 67 Chevy Impala. ;)

nobrakes
06-28-2007, 01:51 PM
Thank you for the offers folks! :cool: If I took all of you up on it I would be set for a while. :beer:

William

PS: Nobrakes, that's used 30 wt motor oil. from a 67 Chevy Impala. ;)
+1! Recycling at it's scariest!

Karin Kirk
06-28-2007, 02:12 PM
Whipped cream!

oh, organic of course!

William
06-29-2007, 05:11 AM
Whipped cream!

oh, organic of course!

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/EPH/8792~Whipped-Cream-Posters.jpg

Kevan
06-29-2007, 07:33 AM
ridiculous.

Joe Starck
06-29-2007, 08:13 AM
A MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT FROM MADISON, WISCONSIN:

Jewdom's ethnocentric greed has so ill-interpreted scripture to an unforseen degree of irrelevancy to the very most original author's intent, that author therefore, God of Moses, has decided to write off plan A, "Israel," and start anew with plan B, with one man, me, Joe Starck, solely because I've delighted God with my visions of my interpretation of that part of God's Law commonly referred to as the Second Commandment, yet a rank which signifies that Commandment as the supreme seed of prophetical potentiality.
-Joe Starck

Bruce K
06-29-2007, 08:17 AM
Oh Andrew !!!!!

Drizzle, drazzle, druzzle, drone. Time for this one to go home.

:banana:

BK

Birddog
06-29-2007, 08:47 AM
Why are these posts reminding me of the DVOVO/ Mr North conflict a few years ago?

Birddog

William
06-29-2007, 09:31 AM
http://files.blog-city.com/files/A05/107098/p/f/shermanpeabody.jpg

Giff
06-29-2007, 09:50 AM
Cholula is also fantastic on pizza, especially a good Hawaiian pizza! Can be good also on plain buttered spaghetti.

William
06-29-2007, 09:57 AM
http://veryfunnyads.com/ads/24932.html

William

PS: Grown up humor

He knows I'll post it... ;)

musgravecycles
06-29-2007, 12:04 PM
Brewers Yeast, I'd eat that stuff on just about anything...

Bud
06-29-2007, 12:08 PM
Vegemite.

My wife loves the stuff, and I love it on toast.

Giff
06-29-2007, 12:34 PM
Vegemite.

Where are you finding Vegemite in the states? used to be easy to find, but supposedly there are some import restrictions.....

Bud
06-29-2007, 12:55 PM
Where are you finding Vegemite in the states? used to be easy to find, but supposedly there are some import restrictions.....

We can't find it anymore. SOmething about the FDA regulating it's import since they consider it a "supplement" (too much vitamin B).

We either have her family send it to us or we smuggle it back when we visit her home (please don't narc on us ;) ).

Ozz
06-29-2007, 01:04 PM
Vegemite.

Today is Colin Hay's birthday....I have no idea where I came across that this morning.....

We can't find it anymore..
where do you find what you can't find: ebay (http://shop.ebay.com/items/vegemite_W0QQ_nkwZvegemite)

carry on....

* - "A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness. " Repo Man - 1984