06-26-2007, 10:29 PM
Have you guys seen these bikes? hot.
http://www.merciancycles.com/psmith_track.asp?pk_pic=10#10

scroll on down for the touring version.

stevep
06-27-2007, 05:16 AM
nice bikes.
i used to import them in the 70s...
somewhere i have the original pricing info.
at the time with similar models and actually similar paint jobs a custom cost about $150 or so...reynolds 531, etc

good deal i thk.

i had one stolen in the 70s...nice touring rig.

dbrk
06-27-2007, 07:26 AM
I have a serious soft spot for Mercians. Baked and cured, not shaken or stirred. And the barbershop pole makes me weep for joy. All four of mine are 531 tubes in the traditional diameters (look for the 1" top tube). In addition to the new Paul Smith models--- you look this way it's one color, you look the other, it's well, another--- there is a 60th Anniversary frame. There aren't any details that I can extract yet from Grant at Mercian, when I wrote him he just say, we're taking orders but no details on the look, paint, lugs, design, etc. Mix this Paul Smith Mercian with one of the new Rapha caps and you'd be ready to do laps on Saville Row. Yikes. While you are there: stop at Huntsman and Sons for a suit but don't ask for a sloper, funny shaped tubes, or carbon bits, okay? They do it their way: made to measure is not custom.

dbrk

sspielman
06-27-2007, 07:42 AM
We have a Mercian tandem from the late 70's. It is a great machine with lots of vintage bits...like a Campagnolo Record crossover crankset, Mafac cantilevers, and OLD Phil wood hubs with a steel(!) center barrel....and a Phil Wood disk brake....It is a s wcky a piece of cycling equipment as you could imagine, but much like an older Landrover-in the grand English tradition of eccentricityit rides beautifully...It might even plane!

justinf
06-27-2007, 08:13 AM
I am somewhat hesitant to inquire about the pricing. I know the wife would love one for yoga-and-back type riding. Note that the Paul Smith Rapha jersey is a cool $280.

sspielman
06-27-2007, 08:35 AM
Mercians are VERY attractively priced....presumably to leave something in the budget for a Rapha wardrobe...

goonster
06-27-2007, 08:58 AM
I am somewhat hesitant to inquire about the pricing.

£2,800 complete.

$/£ conversion is not your friend, if you live on the left side of the Atlantic.

There was a time, circa 2001, when a favorable exchange rate meant you could buy a custom lugged 531 Mercian f/f for around $550 before shipping and import duties. Why I never got one, I'll never know. :(

(edited to remove continental ambiguity)

goonster
06-27-2007, 08:59 AM
(deleted double post. duh.)

justinf
06-27-2007, 09:12 AM
£2,800 complete.

I was afraid of that. Custom territory.

goonster
06-27-2007, 09:49 AM
I was afraid of that. Custom territory.

It is custom, except that Mssr. Smith has spec'ed a few things for you, no?

Edit: I'm not firing on all cylinders today. As Douglas alluded to above, a Paul Smith Mercian is made to measure, which differs significantly from most definitions of "custom".

cpg
06-27-2007, 10:11 AM
Pardon my ignorance but who's Paul Smith? Mercian's have always had serious English mojo at reasonable prices. I don't know how they do that.

Curt

pdonk
06-27-2007, 10:57 AM
Pardon my ignorance but who's Paul Smith? Mercian's have always had serious English mojo at reasonable prices. I don't know how they do that.

Curt

A clothing and lifestyle designer

http://www.paulsmith.co.uk/

djg
06-27-2007, 11:00 AM
A clothing and lifestyle designer

http://www.paulsmith.co.uk/

Cool paint jobs. What the heck is a "lifestyle designer"?

pdonk
06-27-2007, 11:06 AM
Cool paint jobs. What the heck is a "lifestyle designer"?

Someone who has expanded from being a clothing designer into a business that provides products that represent the fashion line in a household or other environment. Ralph Lauren is a good example of this.

justinf
06-27-2007, 11:28 AM
It is custom, except that Mssr. Smith has spec'ed a few things for you, no?

ah, ok, that makes more sense.

The words "lifestyle designer" are so revolting. :rolleyes: Makes the bikes seem less desirable, no? ha.

cpg
06-27-2007, 11:50 AM
One of my sources pointed out Paul Smith was a Cat 1 racer in Great Britain back in the 70's before he went into the fashion biz. To me, that makes the whole connection more natural.

Curt

justinf
06-27-2007, 11:52 AM
yep. Apparently his company is called 531 after, well, you know.

nick0137
06-27-2007, 12:15 PM
I sorta see the point of the Paul Smith Mercians, and the Paul Smith Grand Depart jersey - http://www.paulsmith.co.uk/shop/ - and other such stuff. But, call me old fashioned, I think these guys should stick to what they know best. Mercian should make Mercians - which they do a lot cheaper than with the Paul Smith tag: from £430 plus VAT (sales tax) for a track frame. And Paul Smith should make clothes and suits - which he does, or rather his tailors do, very well (speaking from personal experience).

39cross
06-27-2007, 01:01 PM
What the heck is a "lifestyle designer"?Someone who sells the sizzle without the steak...and you are ever so grateful.

SimonC
06-27-2007, 01:07 PM
I have to agree with much of the sentiment expressed on this thread - Mercian frames are quite nice and very reasonably priced compared to what others offer. Quite why I'd pay a substantial premium to have someone else pick the finishing kit and paintwork I don't know.

Smacks of selling bikes as another part of the Paul Smith lifestyle empire, to people who wouldn't know one end of a crankarm from the other....

vaxn8r
06-27-2007, 02:46 PM
Mercians are sweet. I loved the 531 versions with the barbershop poles from back in the 80's. They didn't used to be very expensive.

jsfoster
06-27-2007, 03:17 PM
$6000. Very nice but , one can order a similar bike from Mercian (similar) for half that price, it just doesn't have the dual paint job and /or the same amount of long point lugs.

I went kalavinka for a lot less.

-Jon

norman neville
06-28-2007, 09:24 PM
fugly. yuck. those lugs look prehistoric, ridiculous.

what a ripoff. get a real one, with 531 and normal lugs, back 10 years ago or so, once you crank up the wayback machine. cheep. good. not ugly.

i kinda dig the orange/yellow one with pinky lugs and turquoise lining. truly vile.

dbrk
06-29-2007, 11:10 AM
Mercians are sweet. I loved the 531 versions with the barbershop poles from back in the 80's. They didn't used to be very expensive.

You mean, like this?

shave and a haircut, two bits,

dbrk