PDA

View Full Version : Shimano Carbon Crankset

Jason E
06-26-2007, 09:08 AM
For your review...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2007/features/tour_de_suissetech

timto
06-26-2007, 10:36 AM
I'm a lover of DA - I hated the current gen cranks when they first came out but have grown to appreciate their quality construction and 'gasp' - even the look! It's an all alloy group that is beautifully made and works beautifully too and if it wasn't for the too huge shifters and external cables - it is perfect to me.

I was curious about when they'd come out with the blackstuff in the cranks but am dissapointed in the overall lines. The non drive side arm looks very square-ish and lacks elegance. I hope the prod models end up being more svelte.

jmo

timto

jhcakilmer
06-26-2007, 11:05 AM
I really can't pinpoint it exactly, but the crankset looks so much nicer then the current DA, IMO. I'm a campy loyal, but I'd even consider buying that. As stated above, could use some refinement around the edges, but I'm sure it wil be for production!!

I give it two thumbs up..... :)

gdw
06-26-2007, 11:26 AM
They don't look bad on a carbon bike with oversized tubes like the Specialized Tarmac but keep those monsters away from your classic steel frame.

CNY rider
06-26-2007, 11:27 AM
snipped..."It looks good, and it should be stiffer and a little bit lighter [than a standard chainset]."

Good thing, because I have the current DA crank and when I heave my 148 pounds down on that thing while going up a steep hill at 7 mph I just feel that sucker flex and I kinow that's what's holding me back. :butt:
Anyone else flexing their DA cranks on a regualr basis? :confused:

Ozz
06-26-2007, 11:38 AM
Reminds me a little bit of the Deda carbon crank

Deda D-Power (http://www.biketiresdirect.com/productdetail.asp?p=DEPWR)

It is what it is....I am sure it will work fine for those who want it.

Waldo
06-26-2007, 12:06 PM
The drive-side arm is hideous. The rings are a big improvement on the current version.

PaulE
06-26-2007, 12:06 PM
The chainrings in the picture look like Ultegra, maybe the new Ultegra SL, but they are certainly not the current Dura Ace.

Are they trying to hide that the cranks are Shimano?

RPS
06-26-2007, 12:16 PM
Anyone else flexing their DA cranks on a regualr basis? :confused:Every time I ride the bike. :rolleyes:

Jason E
06-26-2007, 04:05 PM
As for aesthetics, please keep in mind this is nowhere near a finished product.

RPS
06-26-2007, 04:17 PM
Jason, I'd guess that for Shimano it's more about weight than aesthetics or stiffness. I like the rings but the cranks appear a little too boxy -- although it's hard to tell from a picture.

Ray
06-26-2007, 04:52 PM
Call me crazy, but I actually kind of like the look of the driveside crank, with that partial starfish type design opposite the crankarm. The non-driveside looks pretty clunky, but I'll reserve judgement for the final product.

-Ray

Bill Bove
06-26-2007, 05:09 PM
Looks cool to me.

It's carbon to be carbon, do you need any more reason?

kerrycycle
06-26-2007, 06:29 PM
snipped..."It looks good, and it should be stiffer and a little bit lighter [than a standard chainset]."

Good thing, because I have the current DA crank and when I heave my 148 pounds down on that thing while going up a steep hill at 7 mph I just feel that sucker flex and I kinow that's what's holding me back. :butt:
Anyone else flexing their DA cranks on a regualr basis? :confused:

CNY, If you are flexin' DA cranks, those must be some serious pistons you have. DA cranks are the stiffest out there. I'm a big 175 lb sprinter and what little flex I get comes only from my frame.

Call me a pragmatist. In general, looks are secondary to functionality to me (yet everything on my rig still matches). As long as the new DA does not compromise its stiffness and weight, I could care less if it were boxy, sleek, pink, black...

Avispa
06-26-2007, 08:27 PM
Looks cool to me.

Does it really, Bill? I think Campy's looks better... But let's see what they do with the graphics.

It's carbon to be carbon, do you need any more reason?

This is called plain and simple: keeping up with the Joneses.... :p

stevep
06-27-2007, 05:39 AM
market demand.
ask seven, merlin.

Marcusaurelius
06-27-2007, 07:43 AM
I've never liked carbon cranks and I'm not too fond of carbon components either. I liked forged alloy for a crankset and wish campagnolo offered either a chorus or record alloy crank instead of the silly carbon stuff. I think shimano is just following current carbon fashions (next year maybe it will be magnesium).

Bill Bove
06-27-2007, 08:42 AM
Does it really, Bill? I think Campy's looks better...

Well that just of course goes without saying :D

Big Dan
06-27-2007, 08:53 AM
It's not a bad looking piece.
Personally I don't like black cranksets, don't matter who makes them.
imho....
:cool:

soulspinner
06-27-2007, 12:50 PM
Looks a lot like the Deda carbon crank to me....

MilanoTom
06-27-2007, 02:32 PM
It's no longer on their website, but it also looks like the carbon compact that Performance was selling for a while (which, of course, looked like the Deda).