PDA

View Full Version : 25mm tubular source

LegendRider
06-25-2007, 11:39 AM
Anyone know of a retailer with a high-quality 25mm wide tubulars in stock?

I just ordered a pair of Mavic Cosmic Carbone Pro wheels and the mechanic at my LBS, former Team CSC wrench, recommends a wider tire to protect the rim. Apparently CSC broke a lot of Zipps using 21mm Vittorias - moving up to 23mm helped a great deal. Since I pay for my carbon rims, I'm thinking perhaps a 25mm would be smart.

zap
06-25-2007, 12:38 PM
From what I understand, the Cosmic Pro rims are going to be stronger than Zipps.

If your looking for ultimate aero performance, 25mm tires are too wide for Cosmic aero rims. Get some Conti Comps Vectran 22 from World Class Cycles. These tires roll well, ride just right and appear to be quite durable.

jthurow
06-25-2007, 12:44 PM
Ribble Cycles (http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/list_search.asp?keyword=--Keyword--&Make=&Category=TUBULARS&submit=submit) in the UK has Conti GP4000s, Vittoria Paves and Veloflex Roubaix's. No connection besides being a satisfied customer.

jimi

LegendRider
06-25-2007, 01:08 PM
From what I understand, the Cosmic Pro rims are going to be stronger than Zipps.

If your looking for ultimate aero performance, 25mm tires are too wide for Cosmic aero rims. Get some Conti Comps Vectran 22 from World Class Cycles. These tires roll well, ride just right and appear to be quite durable.

I was concerned about the impact on aero performance, but I've been told the Conti 25s measure a true 23mm. I have no idea whether or not that's true.

Polyglot
06-25-2007, 07:57 PM
Try this guy: http://www.fm-boyaux.fr/

He even still makes silk tubulars in whatever width you might want.

sspielman
06-26-2007, 06:13 AM
Try this guy: http://www.fm-boyaux.fr/

He even still makes silk tubulars in whatever width you might want.

...and if you get some, give a report.....I have heard that this company is the heir apparent to the "old" Dugast (considering that the "new" Dugast has headed to the lower regions in a hand basket)

LegendRider
06-26-2007, 06:34 AM
Don't hold your breath...my bike budget is nearly exhausted for the year...

mdeeds71
06-26-2007, 07:18 AM
Don't hold your breath...my bike budget is nearly exhausted for the year...

Wow! Thants a concept I don't have yet for cycling....a budget :D

60% cycling 20% home 20%food and extras

djg
06-26-2007, 09:31 AM
I was concerned about the impact on aero performance, but I've been told the Conti 25s measure a true 23mm. I have no idea whether or not that's true.

You know, I think that I've got a set at home that I've been meaning to stretch. I can check if you want.

H.Frank Beshear
06-26-2007, 09:39 AM
I've been riding the new gp4000 25's they seem about the same size as my vittoria pave 24's but I can measure when I get back home tonight. At 115 psi in back and 110 front they are very nice ride.

Johny
06-26-2007, 10:15 AM

The older (legendary) Competition 25mm's are true 25mm. I think these are still being sold by Peter White for $115 each.

rphetteplace
06-30-2007, 10:56 PM
the new gp4000's in a 25 are actually smaller than a 23 michelin prorace!

Too Tall
07-02-2007, 07:19 AM
Makin' me nuts with all the new tubular tyre monikers!!!!!

The the vittorias were pretty minimal for the wheel but very aero and like you said not worth the risk. However, you don't really need to go the an extreme to get good rim protection and a fast wheel. You could run the Conti Comp 25's however it is overkill. I've been running the 25's for daily commuting and ocassional off road "adventure" and these are really not as fast as the next size down...which will offer plenty of rim protection. Go for the comps., they are coming out of the factory super nice these days.