PDA

View Full Version : Pegoretti question (which of two suit my needs/wants?)

MilanoTom
06-25-2007, 08:40 AM
For the last year or so, I'd been thinking of getting a Pegoretti. Now that he's sick, I decided to get one while there's still some supply. Anyway, the only two apparently available in my size (probably a 51cm) are the Big Leg Emma and Love #3. There may be an 8:30 AM around as well, but I'm inclined to get one of the more advanced models. I've got some bikes with pretty stiff frames (Alberto Masi 3V, Grandis Overmax Light, 3Rensho Katana S, as well as a Cannondale CAAD3 for the rain), but don't want to beat myself up any more than is necessary. At 48, I'm not a young guy anymore. If it makes a difference, I'm a hair under 5' 7" and about 155 lbs, but trying my darndest to get under 150 again (it's not any easy thing to do anymore!). Whatever I get would be used for shortish (20 - 40 mile training rides) MS-150 tours, and centuries. I almost always climb sitting down, and am not much of a sprinter. I talked to a fellow at Gita who claimed to be about my size, and recommended the Love #3, because when he was going to get an Emma, the other folks at Gita told him that the Emma would be be too much bike and he'd regret it. Being a steel rider, I lean toward the Emma myself, but if it turns out that neither of these two frames would suit me, than so be it.

Any thoughts/advise would be welcome.

Regards
Tom

grey poupon
06-25-2007, 08:53 AM
you have pics of the san rensho?

good luck.

MilanoTom
06-25-2007, 08:58 AM
I've got a couple up on Flickr - User name IPMerkin. There also photos of my Grandis, Masi Gran Crit, and Milano (Alberto Masi) 3V. None are pro-quality and for some reason my purple Grandis ends up looking blue, but the photos are OK, I suppose.

justinf
06-25-2007, 09:02 AM
I don't have any experience with other Pegs, but I'm about your size and ride similar rides. My Marcelo is quickly becoming my favorite bike for the longish rides you mention. I love the road response, and somehow it's even a little bit snappier than my other steels (CRL, Crown Jewel) when you apply the power.

Climb01742
06-25-2007, 09:15 AM
For the last year or so, I'd been thinking of getting a Pegoretti. Now that he's sick, I decided to get one while there's still some supply.

perhaps there is a more tactful and humane way to approach this.

MilanoTom
06-25-2007, 09:15 AM
Thanks for writing.

I'd probably be best suited to a Marcello or Duende. I've talked with Gita, however, and neither of those are still available available in my size. Unless a store happens to have one laying around in their stock, I'm out of luck. My local dealer, International Bike, has none. They'd have to order from Gita, which leave me the choice among the 8:30 AM (although Gita was down to one in my size last week), Love #3, or Emma. It's either those, keep an eye on eBay, or go without.

Regards.
Tom

bostondrunk
06-25-2007, 09:25 AM
I doubt you are gonna flex either frame, so either is gonna ride stiff, and they have the same geo. So buy the one you think looks the nicest. Seriously.

rickygarni
06-25-2007, 09:31 AM

I am in agreement with Climb. Actually, I would prefer not to approach it at all! All the best to Dario.

As a Pegoretti owner (Marcelo/Fina Estampa/CCKMP/Luigino/Custom Team and Love #3 rider, not owner) and also riding in the style that you appear to Tom (20-40 miles non competitive) I would second the opinion for a Marcelo. This is a bike that will always make you happy. Speak to Brendan at Competitive Cyclist. Order one in your size.

Ricky

MarcusPless
06-25-2007, 09:32 AM
Have you checked GVH Bikes (http://www.gvhbikes.com)? Their "frame inventory" page shows a pair of Duende frames -- a 49x52 and a 50x52.5.

--Marcus

Bittersweet
06-25-2007, 09:32 AM
Have you contacted Competitive Cyclist to see what they have in stock? They're the biggest dealer in the US I believe.

www.competitivecyclist.com

MilanoTom
06-25-2007, 09:48 AM

I apologize to you any anyone else that I have offended. Based on your post, my choice of words should have been better. Please trust that I meant no disrespect, and I would not be making this purchase for any kind of mercenary reasons (as I suspect that some may be doing). It's also not something that I jumped into after reading his announcement. Back in January, when I first read about the Resonsorium, I tried to see if it was in production yet, and would be riding one now if it had been available back then.

If it makes any difference to all of this, I've admired the man, his craftsmanship, and his attitude (as much of it as I can understand, not having met him in person) for some time. He is the kind of man that I wish I was, and I was utterly dismayed to hear of his illness. Even though his work may be best suited to one of more ability than I possess, I would still like the opportunity to experience the pleasure of riding something that has passed through his hands. Yes, this makes me selfish to some degree, and I'll admit to being impatient by not wanting to wait until he recovers and is back at full production.

Tom

MilanoTom
06-25-2007, 09:53 AM
Have you checked GVH Bikes (http://www.gvhbikes.com)? Their "frame inventory" page shows a pair of Duende frames -- a 49x52 and a 50x52.5.

--Marcus

Marcus - thanks for writing.

Been to the GVH site and have talked to Competitive as well. Competitive's stock, in my size at least, matches Gita's inventory. I've seen a 49cm in person, and it's too small. The 50cm may be too small as well. Most of my bikes have top tubes in the 53 to 54 range. I'm probably going to International later today to let them measure me up. That, of course, would make me feel a bit more inclined to buy from them, but if I'm better suited to a 50cm, I'll probably go with GVH's Duende, if it's still there.

Tom

Climb01742
06-25-2007, 10:16 AM
I apologize to you any anyone else that I have offended. Based on your post, my choice of words should have been better. Please trust that I meant no disrespect, and I would not be making this purchase for any kind of mercenary reasons (as I suspect that some may be doing). It's also not something that I jumped into after reading his announcement. Back in January, when I first read about the Resonsorium, I tried to see if it was in production yet, and would be riding one now if it had been available back then.

If it makes any difference to all of this, I've admired the man, his craftsmanship, and his attitude (as much of it as I can understand, not having met him in person) for some time. He is the kind of man that I wish I was, and I was utterly dismayed to hear of his illness. Even though his work may be best suited to one of more ability than I possess, I would still like the opportunity to experience the pleasure of riding something that has passed through his hands. Yes, this makes me selfish to some degree, and I'll admit to being impatient by not wanting to wait until he recovers and is back at full production.

Tom

no worries. there's nothing selfish about wanting a wonderful bike. it's all in the spirit behind it.

getting measured is a good idea. craig at international can certainly help you figure out the right size frame. i'd suggest a steel pego for what you're seeking. hope you find one that fits. good luck.

and here's hoping the supply of pegs will flow strongly, healthy, and happy soon.

rickygarni
06-25-2007, 12:31 PM
no worries. there's nothing selfish about wanting a wonderful bike. it's all in the spirit behind it.

getting measured is a good idea. craig at international can certainly help you figure out the right size frame. i'd suggest a steel pego for what you're seeking. hope you find one that fits. good luck.

and here's hoping the supply of pegs will flow strongly, healthy, and happy soon.

Again, I second Climb's suggestion. I know that availability is scarce right now (in most models, most sizes) but I my suggestion was to order one (perhaps even custom?) from CC. I have faith that Dario will abide (and beyond.) And I believe he is working now, too.

MilanoTom
06-25-2007, 01:30 PM
Again, I second Climb's suggestion. I know that availability is scarce right now (in most models, most sizes) but I my suggestion was to order one (perhaps even custom?) from CC. I have faith that Dario will abide (and beyond.) And I believe he is working now, too.

I've also heard that he is working again and tolerated his first round of chemo quite well, although I've also heard that as the treatment progresses, one begins to feel progressively worse.

I want to again apologize for my clumsy choice of words. I admire the man a great deal, not only for his craft, but also for being true to himself in a very public way. It's a tough thing to me to articulate, but in order to reach some level of professional success, it seems as though we often leave far too much of ourselves at the door. Whether or not he realized it, he set a mighty fine example for us. One doesn't have to sacrifice one's precious self in order to succeed. There aren't enough of those examples around, and we can ill afford to lose one of the best and brightest.

I'm lucky (or blessed, regarding on how you look at it) enough to be able to afford to ride one of his creations, and hopefully appreciate, to some small degree, the genius, skill, and soul of the person responsible for it. I should have taken advantage of the opportunity to ride one of his bikes years ago, It would seem to be an especially great waste not to take advantage of the chance now, even though I have faith that he will be back.

I'll be heading over to International Bike after work today. I'll see what's up with custom orders, but I suspect that my impatience will get the better of me.

Regards.
Tom

paczki
06-25-2007, 02:24 PM
International Bike in Allston had a bunch of really nice Pegs when I went over there last week.

MilanoTom
06-25-2007, 02:58 PM
I'm heading over to the Boston store after work today, so they can measure me up right and tell me what size to get. Who knows - if they have a few new ones there, maybe I'll be taking the train home with one slung over my shoulder.

Tom

tv_vt
06-25-2007, 09:55 PM
...if you do find one to bring home.

Thom

MilanoTom
06-26-2007, 07:47 AM
I ended up going yesterday, and threw my leg over David's 51cm, but it was bigger than I expected. Then, for sh*ts and grins, sat on a 49cm 8:30 AM(they had no 50cm) in stock). The darned thing seemed to fit right. Normal amount of seatpost showing, decent standover, and I didn't need a goofy-long stem. Being used to steel, I didn't particularly like the ride of it, but I don't get why such a small size would seem to work right. The BB may have been a little higher, but that doesn't account for everything. The only thing I didn't do that I should have done was measure the standover, so I could compare it to what I have at home. If a 49cm is really what I need, then I've got some more options - there are a few of them floating around.

Regards.
Tom

Cary Ford
06-26-2007, 04:23 PM
I am 6.4, 41 years old, 205 pounds and ride a 60 cm Big Leg Emma. This thing is stiff bordering on harsh...just the way I like it. If you're not into stiff (much stiffer than the MXLeader for instance), stay away.

davids
06-26-2007, 04:46 PM
Based on what I know about Dario's line-up, I think Tom would be happiest on a Duende or Luigino. Maybe a Love #3... It's my understanding that even the Marcelo is a pretty stiff frame.

As Tom mentioned, he had the opportunity to throw a leg over my bike. Yes, it's no longer merely a frame - It's an actual, rideable bike.

So: :banana:

Only one ride so far, but the Love #3 ain't harsh. It's solid, responsive and stable. It transmits a bit more buzz than my Nove (although that could very well be the deeper, lower-spoke-count wheels.) A more detailed review and photos to come soon, I promise!

MilanoTom
06-27-2007, 08:57 AM
Yesterday I ordered a 2005 Palosanto from Cycles Bikyle. Kyle was kind enough to talk with me for a while about my riding style & needs, and what I liked and didn't like about the bikes I already had. He thought the Palosanto would suit me well, especially on century rides. His remaining 2005 stock was discounted, so the price was right, too. They'll be doing the frame prep, applying rustproofing (included in the price), and installing a headset sometime this week, and I should be receiving it by early next week.

Cary - Thanks for the advise. I don't mind stiff bikes (I've got a Grandis OverMax and an Italian Masi Volumetrica), but the 8:30AM just wasn't right for me. My bet is that if an Emma in your size was almost harsh, it would have been over the top in my size.

Regards (and thanks) to all.
Tom

davids
06-27-2007, 09:40 AM
Tom,

Congrats! You've made an excellent choice. I didn't think any Palosantos were still available. It sounds ideal for your tastes.

http://www.cbike.com/images/03_palosanto_bike.jpg

Looking forward to pictures and a ride report!