PDA

View Full Version : Shop recommendation for DC?

theandrew
06-25-2007, 07:39 AM
Hey all,
I am going to be relocating to Washington DC here in a few months, and wondered if anyone had shop recommendations? Looking for more of an old school traditional road shop than the TREK superstore type. A shop that knows what tubulars are and has good ones in stock.
Thanks,
Andrew

saab2000
06-25-2007, 07:41 AM
Pro Bicycle Shop on M Street in Georgetown.

stevep
06-25-2007, 07:41 AM
get in touch with too tall...a friend of his just opened a shop down there that sounds like what you want

flydhest
06-25-2007, 07:56 AM
theandrew,
The Bike Rack has recently opened (about 6 weeks ago) and they are shaping up nicely. The owners are good friends with TooTall, one of the wise men of this here forum. That said, they don't stock old school style road frames as of yet. I did spend some time with one of the owners on Friday talking to him about the selection of tubulars they should stock, so those should be in soon.

www.bikerackdc.com

I lead the shop ride on Sundays, so come on out when you get to town. 8:30 Sunday morning, 14th and Q.

TimB
06-25-2007, 08:31 AM
If you find yourself in need of something really funky and obscure, College Park Bikes near U of MD likely has it. Larry Black is near-legendary in the DC area for his collection of old bikes and parts. It's a bit of...well, let's just say that you ought to research price before you go, because on the old stuff the charges sometimes seem a bit - random.

They also have a nice collection of old frames for sale hanging in the shop - from NOS to very well-used.

MilanoTom
06-25-2007, 09:06 AM
theandrew,
The Bike Rack has recently opened (about 6 weeks ago) and they are shaping up nicely. The owners are good friends with TooTall, one of the wise men of this here forum. That said, they don't stock old school style road frames as of yet. I did spend some time with one of the owners on Friday talking to him about the selection of tubulars they should stock, so those should be in soon.

www.bikerackdc.com

I lead the shop ride on Sundays, so come on out when you get to town. 8:30 Sunday morning, 14th and Q.

A buddy of mine moved from Woonsocket, RI to DC to help manage the shop. He can be ornery at times, but I'd trust him with whatever you needed.

flydhest
06-25-2007, 11:49 AM
MilanoTom,
Is that Wayne?

Re:TimB's suggestion, I agree College Park has a lot of interesting stuff and is an old school shop in a lot of the best possible ways, but I wouldn't advise anyone to trust word one out of Larry's mouth without lots of verification.

djg
06-25-2007, 11:51 AM
I haven't been to the new shop flydhest mentioned, although I'd like to check it out, along with the ride he's organized there.

The Bicycle Pro Shop on M Street in Georgetown is maybe the closest to what I think of in a high-end shop oriented -- at least somewhat -- to road racing bikes and gear. They always have tubular tires in stock, although I haven't seen any local shop with a good selection of them. Also, I hear that Noel is back, which to me would be a good thing.

College Park bikes is a neat place, but a haul from me and I've only been a few times. Certainly, it's worth a visit for that old time bucha-frames-hanging-from-the-rafters thing and some conversation.

Most of the rest are chain-ish, with some ups and downs. Both Spokes, etc. and Revolution are local shops that have turned into small chains and do something of the trek superstore routine. Because of their growth (and the manner of that growth) it seems to me that people can have very different experiences depending on when they show up and who it is they run into. At the same time, both have some very good people to deal with and more than just the most run-of-the-mill stuff. Spokes, etc. is a Serotta dealer, btw, and I've had generally good dealings there in the past and fairly recently.

On a couple of occasions, calling around for this or that, I've ended up going to the uptown version of City Bikes -- the guys in the back were helpful with parts and I picked up a closeout pair of Sidi doms for 80-something bucks, so there's that.

I don't really have the time to hang out at a shop in the way I sometimes did long, long ago, so that's the survey I have as a more casual shop visitor.

flydhest
06-25-2007, 12:12 PM
I haven't been to the new shop flydhest mentioned, although I'd like to check it out, along with the ride he's organized there.

Dan,
Do show . . . it's turning into a pretty good group. Yesterday was the third ride and we got to split in two group. 15 people, 4 women, a couple of the mechanics from the shop . . . Zap put a hurting on the guys who went on the longer ride, apparently.

zap
06-25-2007, 12:26 PM
MilanoTom,
Is that Wayne?

Re:TimB's suggestion, I agree College Park has a lot of interesting stuff and is an old school shop in a lot of the best possible ways, but I wouldn't advise anyone to trust word one out of Larry's mouth without lots of verification.

Larry can be difficult at times but he really is a good guy with a ton of knowledge.

His shop in Mt Airy, MD is a pretty good place to test some of the stuff he carries, including a Calfee tandem.

I have yet to get to his shop, but I've known Chuck for over 10 years and he's a great guy. So I too have to say that you should check with his shop The Bike Rack.

Another I have to recommend is The Bicycle Place. I've dealt with Mike (the owner) for close to two decades and he has always been pleasant to deal with. I don't know if they stock tubulars but they can get them in quickly.

flydhest
06-25-2007, 01:05 PM
Zap,
I formed my final opinion of Larry when trying to buy a tandem from him at the Mt. Airy shop. I have precisely zero interest in ever doing business with him again. The first disappointment came with wanting to test some stuff. It went downhill from there.

Len J
06-25-2007, 01:25 PM
Dan,
Do show . . . it's turning into a pretty good group. Yesterday was the third ride and we got to split in two group. 15 people, 4 women, a couple of the mechanics from the shop . . . Zap put a hurting on the guys who went on the longer ride, apparently.

What kind of pace and distance?

Len

TimB
06-25-2007, 02:41 PM
I agree about Larry - frustrating to deal with at best, and I never have felt like I had his undivided attention when dealing with him...but if you _really_ need that old, small bit, he's more likely to have it than just about anyone in town.

Chuck opened a shop? Good on him...tell him Hi from Me and Katie!

sc53
06-25-2007, 02:50 PM
Mr dHest: to echo LenJ, what pace and distance were your two shop rides this last weekend? All racers or some recreational riders (like me??)

To the original poster: if you do visit Spokes Etc. go to the Quaker Lane shop in Alexandria and talk to Jim Strang (the owner) or the Mark who rides the fixie to work. They are the best sales guys there and will share info and opinions for as long as you have the time. Dale, Ricky, Sam and Brian are the wrenches and I like all of them. They've done work on both my Serottas (both of which I was fitted for and bought there) and all of the various others in my collection over the last two decades. Well, Brian hasn't worked on bikes for two decades he's only about 20 yrs old.

flydhest
06-25-2007, 03:05 PM
For all in the DC area interested, the Bike Rack ride is Sunday morning at 8:30 at the shop. It's 1412 Q Street. We roll at 8:45 no iffs, ands, or buts (this draconian mindset is a result of an earlier thread here on the forum). We do 40 miles with an option for longer. We started (and will continue) to take R to Florida to Q to Wisconsin to Reservoir (sounds like more turning than it is, it's essentially a straight shot) and Reservoir runs into Macarthur Blvd. Macarthur to the hill and right on Falls Road. Quick stop at Starbucks in Potomac. Out River to Norton (about 1 mile) and wend to S. Glen to Glen. Here's where the group split. The longer group went out to Darnestown and I took the other group up Glen to Falls to Tuckerman to the Park.

No one gets dropped. Sarah, you're just fine, you won't be the last person. The speed on Macarthur was hovering just below 20 while riding with a little fracturing at the back that closed when we came to the intermittent stop signs. I float back and forth from the front to the back to make sure that everyone is riding at a pace they like. All bets are off on the hill so I can give Chuck a smackdown. We regroup on Falls back to the coffeeshop.

All reports have been very positive and we're getting a good group.

Len, would love to see you here for the ride. You're welcome to come the night before.

manet
06-25-2007, 03:56 PM
... The first disappointment came with wanting to test some stuff. It went downhill from there.

the date from hell

Dekonick
06-25-2007, 10:14 PM
Larry can be difficult at times but he really is a good guy with a ton of knowledge.

His shop in Mt Airy, MD is a pretty good place to test some of the stuff he carries, including a Calfee tandem.

I have yet to get to his shop, but I've known Chuck for over 10 years and he's a great guy. So I too have to say that you should check with his shop The Bike Rack.

Another I have to recommend is The Bicycle Place. I've dealt with Mike (the owner) for close to two decades and he has always been pleasant to deal with. I don't know if they stock tubulars but they can get them in quickly.

The Mt Airy shop is a special place - lots of unusual parts, frames, tandems, etc...

College park cycles is where I had my first fitting done. They are a great bunch to work with. The collection hanging from the ceiling in both shops is worth the trip alone.

not a DC store, but a destination anyway.

:)

djg
06-25-2007, 11:47 PM
Dan,

Thanks, I'm gonna take you up on it -- this past weekend's application to my Significant Scheduling Coordinator was denied, but I should be able to make it after next week's vacation.

Dustin
06-26-2007, 05:35 AM
I've never met Larry, perhaps because I always used to go to the College Park shop, but I always had good experiences there, and there aren't many bike shops in the US where you can go and see that kind of stuff in person. It's a haul, true. But I used to drive up there from Alexandria just because I liked it better than any of the closer alternatives.

zap
06-26-2007, 11:58 AM
I've never met Larry, perhaps because I always used to go to the College Park shop, but I always had good experiences there, and there aren't many bike shops in the US where you can go and see that kind of stuff in person. It's a haul, true. But I used to drive up there from Alexandria just because I liked it better than any of the closer alternatives.

Larry works at the Mt Airy since it's a lot closer to his palatial homes. One used for bike storage (yes, lots more) and the other for his family.

sspielman
06-26-2007, 01:31 PM
College Park Bicycles was a great place 20 years ago. Back then, they had a fabulous assortment of high-end everything....from frames to parts to clothing and shoes. As time has marched on, they seem to have focussed less on the high-end market and more other things. Dozens of frames still hang from the ceiling, but they are mostly leftovers from the day...in sizes under 50 cm or over 62. The clothing has also gone south with Castelli and Denti giving way to Bellwether..the shoe selection may be considered good if you require a sole adaptable to clips and straps. It is alot like Elizabeth Taylor's bedroom...alot used to go on there, but it is mostly left to memories today.....

JonnyComeLately
06-27-2007, 12:03 PM

I second this recommendation. They did a very nice job this spring building up my new Spectrum. Mike is great, as is Pepper, the head wrench.

Too Tall
06-27-2007, 01:23 PM
Wait a sec. I thought that building Spectrums was my job???? ;)

Flyman if the river don't rise I'll be with y'all for the shop ride Sunday. Knitting circle shortly after on my porch BYO BBQ I got's charcoal.

Classy steel bikes built right are prob. going to happen at the shop. Rumors are floating...something about a sweet tig'd club racer and city fixie???? Mmmm, steel. No kidding, plans are in the making for a shop branded bike. I'll do the fittings for these :) The idea for this came from my admiration for the slow food culture here and abroad....think same but different.

Fly is SUCH a mench to step up...dewd!