PDA

View Full Version : *****

14max
06-25-2007, 06:00 AM

Blastinbob
06-25-2007, 08:00 AM
Search the old forum. There is a link at the bottom of the page.

victoryfactory
06-25-2007, 08:24 AM
The F1 is the Serotta carbon bladed fork that was made until
~ 2001-ish It had many fans, and still does, but....
The Steerer is Steel. It was made to be used on threaded 1" headtubes.
It had Ti dropouts.
In my experience it was very stiff (bordering on harsh) riding and
pretty much as heavy as a brick.
IMHO, this was designed right at the beginning of the carbon fork craze,
over built because designers didn't trust the carbon completely yet, (or maybe
the carbon technology was too new)
and was surpassed by other later designs.
I found that the Reynolds Ouzo Pro was way better on my Atlanta.
In fact Serotta must have thought highly of the Reynolds forks as well
because after a few years of re-branding reynolds forks as "Serotta", they
apparently bought the company!

VF

Ahneida Ride
06-25-2007, 09:20 AM
VF is correct. I've heard reports of F1's stopping Abrams tanks.

Having said that, if you want a fork that is bombproof then
thet F1 is your candidates.

If you are a Clydesdale, like myself, there is no better fork.

Just be on alert that a 23 is the largest tire the F1 will accommodate.
On some 25's the space between the tire and fork is too tight.

David Kirk
06-25-2007, 09:29 AM
I know a little something about the F1.

Everything said above is true. We had trouble controlling weight. It had a steel steerer so that added a bit but the real deal was that the foam core was too porous and absorbed too much resin. Resin is heavy stuff and the weight climbed in a big way.

They have proven to be very safe over the long term and the only issues were that some early forks had issues with dropouts rotating in the blades. This was solved with a drop out change.

The ride is very much like a good steel fork and that was what it was designed to do. I still feel it's one of the best handling forks made.

Tire clearance is tight. Most any 23 will fit but some 25's won't.

I hope that helps.

Dave

14max
06-25-2007, 09:39 AM

victoryfactory
06-25-2007, 09:49 AM
If you're not a weight weenie, the F1 is very elegant looking.
It also was made for your frame and so keeps the classic look
together.
Finally, it may make the resale value to a complete-ist higher, if
that matters to you.

However if it's performance you want, I'd recommend installing a
1" threadless ouzo pro, It transformed the ride and handling of my
Atlanta. (and took a full lb off the weight)

VF

14max
06-25-2007, 10:23 AM

Ahneida Ride
06-25-2007, 10:26 AM
Thanks to all. A corollary question: is it worth keeping or should I replace with something newer/lighter?

All non racing Cylesdales should seriously consider an F1.

I ride in Upstate NY .... I hit Pot Holes .. WHAT the %^*$ was that ?????
I'll keep the F1.

Even Uncle William could not destroy an F1.

Ken Robb
06-25-2007, 10:28 AM
VF - Thanks for the quick reply. Being CF, it's still lighter than a comparable steel fork, yes?
I don't think so. BTW, I've got a Profile Design AC-1 all carbon fork off of my Waterford that rides as well as any of my Reynolds forks and has more tire clearance that I would sell with Stronglite HS for $100 if you want an inexpensive way to try threadless-all carbon fork.

Serotta PETE
06-25-2007, 11:22 AM
Unless you want to go threadless (no reason to) I would keep the F1 fork.

The lightness is a personal item and it will not make you faster. If you do not like the ride then consider an alternative.

Keep in mind that you lose "stack height" by going to threadless vs threaded steerer.

Additionally, it is my understanding that the F1 had a slightly different rake or somethings verses the Reynolds and others...What this means :confused: :confused: :confused: I would ask Mr. Kirk or Serotta.

Personally I would stay with the F1 and spend the money on RED wine but bikes are very personal - - so do what puts a smile on your face. :D

David Kirk
06-25-2007, 11:31 AM
Unless you want to go threadless (no reason to) I would keep the F1 fork.

The lightness is a personal item and it will not make you faster. If you do not like the ride then consider an alternative.

Keep in mind that you lose "stack height" by going to threadless vs threaded steerer.

Additionally, it is my understanding that the F1 had a slightly different rake or somethings verses the Reynolds and others...What this means :confused: :confused: :confused: I would ask Mr. Kirk or Serotta.

Personally I would stay with the F1 and spend the money on RED wine but bikes are very personal - - so do what puts a smile on your face. :D

Sir Pierre is correct..........the F1 has a span (length) the same as a steel fork or 365mm. Most carbon forks today have a span of 370 or above. It will alter the angles and feel a bit by going with a longer fork. It will work and may work very well but it will be different than intended.

I believe the rake on all F1's was 43mm. There was talk of adding different rakes to the lineup and that may have happened after I moved to MT.

Dave

jeo99
06-25-2007, 11:32 AM
BTW the FI was also made with a TI steering tube for a short time. I have the F1/Steel on several frames without a problem. I have the TI version on two without issue as well. As for weight vs. steel, this can be a toss-up! :beer:

tv_vt
06-25-2007, 11:40 AM
I saw that frame on eBay. You got a good deal. I wouldn't start worrying about the fork until you get the frame built up and on the road. See what it feels like.

I'm also curious how tall you are and how well you find the frame to fit. I wasn't sure if I would've been able to get the handlebars high enough on that frame, but maybe with the threaded steerer tube, I could've.

Beautiful frame. Enjoy. Save the fork decision until winter.

Thom

14max
06-25-2007, 12:13 PM

Larry
06-25-2007, 12:36 PM
I had a 1998 CSi with the original F1. Totally dependable and rock solid
descending. Never any control issues. I am heavy, also. 6 and 1/2 years on the F1. For my taste, better than an all steel fork. (I tried the Atlanta with an all steel fork.)
I switched to the 1 inch Ouzo Pro carbon steerer. This could have been a mistake.

.....Just a gut feeling. The F1 was really designed for the CSi or Legend
of that time period. It was a perfect match. It looked perfect for that frame.
Well... with the Ouzo, the bike certainly was lighter on the front half, and noticeably so.
But, I also think that the balance of the bike was better with the F1.

If it looks to be in excellent condition, I would stay with the F1. Don't spend the additional money for a new fork, new headset, new stem, etc.
It costs a significant amount, and the weight saving is not worth the price.

14max
06-25-2007, 01:19 PM

kbone
06-25-2007, 02:00 PM
What is the life expectancy of an F1? What should one look for when inspecting for wear?

David Kirk
06-25-2007, 02:14 PM
What is the life expectancy of an F1? What should one look for when inspecting for wear?

I think one should use common sense just with any other product. I've not seen any outright failures that leave one on the ground or walking home and never expect to. That said use common sense and when cleaning look at it and be sure all looks normal.

There were some early forks where the dropouts worked loose and they could spin in the blades. They could not come out but just spin. They made an awful noise while doing this most of the time. There were a few folks that thought for sure they had a creaky BB when it was a dropout. I should think that most of these are no longer out there.

Ride it forever and smile.

Dave

Larry
06-25-2007, 02:22 PM
Have the best serviceman available thoroughly
inspect the fork for wear and tear. A good one will know what to look
for.
Talk to the seller if you can. Condition, accidents, cuts in the fiber, etc.
The steel steerer should last for a long, long time.
If Dave helped to design it, it had to be an excellent and overbuilt fork that could handle racing, pounding, and stress that most of us normal folks would not put a bike through.

14max
06-25-2007, 02:25 PM

David Kirk
06-25-2007, 02:30 PM
Dave - If *knock on wood* mine does have that dropout issue will Serotta be able to fix it?

I can't speak for Serotta but I think they were replacing them with another product. You'd have to ask them or your dealer.

I very seriously doubt you'd have a fork with an issue. There were precious few and that was a long time ago.

I've got a beer that says it's just fine..........and I'm talking Sam Adams Stout!

Dave

14max
06-25-2007, 03:22 PM

William
06-25-2007, 03:41 PM
Here's hoping the tubes are straight and rust-free and the fork is as stout as the Guinness I'm headed out to buy...

Extra Stout I hope! :beer:

William :D

kbone
06-25-2007, 04:03 PM
I think one should use common sense just with any other product. I've not seen any outright failures that leave one on the ground or walking home and never expect to. That said use common sense and when cleaning look at it and be sure all looks normal.

There were some early forks where the dropouts worked loose and they could spin in the blades. They could not come out but just spin. They made an awful noise while doing this most of the time. There were a few folks that thought for sure they had a creaky BB when it was a dropout. I should think that most of these are no longer out there.

Ride it forever and smile.

Dave

Thanks Dave.

Keith A
06-25-2007, 04:13 PM
I am curious about the HT/ST angles. I wonder if they're parallel 73 like my other Serotta or not.Do you know the serial number on this? I may have a catalog from this era that will list the stock sizes.

Serotta PETE
06-25-2007, 04:20 PM
I will throw in a bottle of red betting you do not have the problems also. It was VERY rare.

My F1 has been fine for the last 8 years and the bike has traveled with me and has many miles..

PETE

I can't speak for Serotta but I think they were replacing them with another product. You'd have to ask them or your dealer.

I very seriously doubt you'd have a fork with an issue. There were precious few and that was a long time ago.

I've got a beer that says it's just fine..........and I'm talking Sam Adams Stout!

Dave

SoCalSteve
06-25-2007, 04:56 PM
I have a JB repainted F1 on my Hors Categorie and wouldnt change it for anything (and I love the Ouzo Pro).

I have a F1 on the Hors, a F2 on the CSI and a F3 on the Ottrott. All 3 are fine products. Oh, and Im a clydesdale...

Enjoy!

Steve

David Kirk
06-25-2007, 04:56 PM
I will throw in a bottle of red betting you do not have the problems also. It was VERY rare.

Mine F1 has been fine for the last 8 years and the bike has traveled with me and has many miles..

PETE

I'll hold the bottle in escrow just in case there are any issues.

Merlot Dave

14max
06-25-2007, 05:10 PM

14max
06-25-2007, 05:11 PM

14max
06-25-2007, 05:12 PM

StephenCL
06-25-2007, 05:17 PM
Not that it counts for anyting close to Kirk's opinion, but I have been a long time faithful F1 fanatic. I would concur that it rides so much like a steel fork it is scary. It was built at a time when I think that Dave and Ben were still searching for that "How do we make ti bikes with carbon forks still ride like steel". It is a funny thing, when I hop on my superlight Carbon bike and charge down my favorite winding hill, there is not a time that I go down that I don't wish for my F1 fork.

While it is as heavy as all get out, in my humble opinion it was the best carbon fork ever made. I say stick to the F1.

Stephen

Ahneida Ride
06-25-2007, 06:21 PM
While it is as heavy as all get out, in my humble opinion it was the best carbon fork ever made. I say stick to the F1.
Stephen

Amen ...

Ken Robb
06-25-2007, 06:47 PM
Do you know the serial number on this? I may have a catalog from this era that will list the stock sizes.
That won't be much help as this is a custom frame. Serotta could maybe tell him what they are if he sends them the serial #.

14max
06-25-2007, 06:57 PM

Keith A
06-25-2007, 07:07 PM
That won't be much help as this is a custom frame. Serotta could maybe tell him what they are if he sends them the serial #.I didn't realize it was a custom frame. They didn't do as much custom back then as they do now. I have also found that Serotta usually doesn't have the details on the older frames and they can only questimate what year it was from.

BTW, I still absolutely love my older CSi and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Edit: I could be wrong about this, but many (most?) of the older custom frames had the word "custom" integrated in the CSi logo. Maybe DK can confirm this. Also, I love this color scheme...it is a true classic!

14max
06-25-2007, 08:37 PM

Keith A
06-25-2007, 09:48 PM
I'm sure Andrew will do as much as he is able to do...the only problem is that they don't have the records (or maybe the details) that go back that far :( At least that has been my experience when trying to get some of the details on the Serottas that I own.

regularguy412
06-25-2007, 10:22 PM
Dave - If *knock on wood* mine does have that dropout issue will Serotta be able to fix it?

I recently had some minor re-brazing and a repaint performed on my 1997 CSI. I also sent in the F1 fork. The techs noted a loose dropout on the fork ( tho I had not noticed any loosening or noises, myself). Serotta opted to replace my F1 with a new Ouzo Pro at their cost. Bear in mind this is now TEN years later.

The F1's performance always made me feel very confident when descending and cornering at speed. I raced and trained on that fork for over 30,000 miles from 1997 thru 1999 without one hint of trouble. Ride the fork and see how it feels. If you 'really' think there is a problem with it, send it to Serotta. I'd bet they'd be happy to check it for you and would probably replace it , if they were not 100% satisfied with it.

Serotta is a great company. This was the first refurb work of any kind that I have ever had accomplished on one of my bicycles.

Mike in AR

SoCalSteve
06-25-2007, 10:36 PM
I'm sure Andrew will do as much as he is able to do...the only problem is that they don't have the records (or maybe the details) that go back that far :( At least that has been my experience when trying to get some of the details on the Serottas that I own.

They couldnt give me any details on my 1999 Hors categorie beyond that it was built in 1999. Soemthing about them having the data, they just dont have the program anymore that reads the data. And, the paper trail is in some basement somewhere, maybe in a basement that they no longer go to or???

Anyway, maybe they can find yours, they couldnt with mine and mine was custom as well.

Steve

Bruce K
06-26-2007, 05:19 AM
Late to this party but, for a short while there was an F1 Ti fork produced by Serotta. The F1 Ti had a titanium steer tube for reduced weight.

I have one on my Concours and the ride is quite nice.

Maybe Dave K. can tell us about how many forks of this version were produced?

BK

William
06-26-2007, 05:56 AM
The F1:

They don't call it the "FrankenFork" for nothing...

William

Ahneida Ride
06-26-2007, 06:43 AM
The F1:

They don't call it the "FrankenFork" for nothing...

William

Spoken by Mr. Frank N. Stein himself !!!!

Ohhhhhh.... I'll pay for that !!!! ;)

Correction .....

That's Mr. Zank N. Stein

Now I'll pay just a bit less ..... ;)

Bruce K
06-26-2007, 08:14 AM
At least he's not Dr. Frank N. Furter ! :eek:

Let's do the Time Warp again...... ;) :rolleyes:

BK

Larry
06-26-2007, 09:07 AM
Larry - Lots of thoughtful advice there. Thanks for the input. I'll wait until the frameset arrives and if it is in immaculate shape (as I expect it will be) I plan to keep it as is.

Now, all I need is a 7Eleven jersey (or two) to compliment the frame...

I saw the frame on Ebay. If the bike rides as straight as an arrow,
you bought a great frameset with a lot smaller dent in your wallet.

2006 Chorus or Centaur 8 piece group set. Sweet, Italian accents on a super frame!!!! You are set for a LONG time. :beer: :beer: Two Rows custom brew!!