PDA

View Full Version : stem basic stem with rise recommendations

d_douglas
06-25-2007, 03:10 AM
I am in need of a new stem.

I bought a Ritchey Swisscross this weekend (!) and the owner had a Ritchey WCS stem that likely had had the bolts stripped, so he cobbled together horribly ugly bolt replacements.

I rode the bike home without problems, but started thinking that the stem bolts were both ugly and potentially deadly, so I am looking for a new stem.

I would like a 110mm ahead (ideally 1 inch diameter, but no big deal) for 26.0mm bars and with a fair bit of rise - like 12deg or more. I suppose a standard flat road stem that can be flipped over would do the trick (that is what I did with the WCS stem) One last thing - I need a low stack height on it, as the steerer has no extra room for spacers. As it is, the WCS stem only extends 5 or 6mm beyond the steerer tube.

The stem can be old and not so stylish - just safe and cheap.

Any suggestions?

TimB
06-25-2007, 08:35 AM
I had an old Salsa CroMo stem that would likely be close to what you're looking for. I think it was +17 degrees. The only bummer was that it didn't have a removable face plate.

No longer in production, but you may be able to find one used.

RPS
06-25-2007, 02:55 PM
Performance has the Ritchey Pro Stem listed at $39.95 (regular $69.95), and is available in 11cm and +/- 17 degrees.

Rise: +/- 17 degree
Steerer Diameter: 1" and 1 1/8"
Weight: 140g
Clamp Diameter: 26.0
Clamp Height: 40mm
Lengths: 90, 100, 110, 120, 130mm
Material: Aluminum

They also have their lower-cost Forte brand but its angle is only 7 degrees.