PDA

View Full Version : Can somebody explain the new Campy triple cranks?

dvancleve
06-23-2007, 04:57 PM
Hi there.

I see that instead of having a triple crank option for most of the gruppos, Campy instead has the Champ, Race and Comp triples. They are still square taper, and it appears to me that they are based on the Centaur and below wider BB triple crank. Is that right? I gather from the weights that they probably are Centaur and below, Chorus and Record equivalents (same order previously listed)? Any thoughts on these versus looking for an older Record or Chorus triple?

Thanks, Doug

sjbraun
06-23-2007, 07:05 PM
I think you're fine either way, but I think there are some advantages to going with the new Comp triple set up or Centaur if you can find it.
Weight differences are negligible, (2005 Chorus triple crank, 730gms, 2005 Centaur triple, 730 gms, 2007 Comp triple crank, 788gms.) But the nice thing about using the Comp Triple is that it requires the Centaur 111mm square taper BB. Its a really nice BB that weighs no more than the Chorus BB you'd need. It's advantage is that you can use any square taper Centaur crank with the same BB. So you can switch from compact to triple to standard 53x39 cranksets without changing anything bedsides your front derailleur adjustment.
I used one on my Waterford (after the FOF ride to Arrivaca a few years back, I switched the W'ford back to a geared bike.) It served me well on my Pegoretti, initially as a triple with an older Racing T crank and now with a Centaur carbon compact drive train.
Older Centaur is really nice stuff, maybe even better than the new triple options from Campy.
Steve- Tucson

Dave
06-24-2007, 09:50 AM
I'd say you're right, that the Comp group is probably Centaur level and the rest are below that. An unfortunate downgrade, IMO.

I switched from double to triple Campy 10 drivetrains four years ago, when I moved to Colorado. Campy's 52/42/30 chainring offerings do not make sense to this mechanical engineer, so I tried FSA triple cranks. I buy stock 53/39/30 cranks cheap on E-bay and swap the little ring to a 28. I've had great luck with them. Most of my cranks are Team Issue carbon models with ISIS bottom brackets, but I also have one Energy aluminum crankarm model and one SLK carbon with MegaExo outboard bearings. The SLK is certainly stiff, but it's also about 75 grams heavier than the Team Issue crank with a Ti spindled BB. At times, there have been FSA Gossamer triple cranks on E-bay that go real cheap and they're probably as good as any of the new Campy offerings.

At least you can still get higher level Chorus and Record RDs in the medium cage, which will handle a triple with all but the 13-29 cassette. I have tried a 13-29 on my early season bike, so I've bought some NOS upper level long cage RD's. Functionally, of course, the Comp RD should work just fine.

Ahneida Ride
06-24-2007, 10:40 AM
I had the first Record Triple 53/42/30 with Phil BB.

I switched to a TA Zephyr 48/36/22 with Phil BB

I gave the Record stuff away free to my LBS guru.

I Still have the Record LC Derallier and Record Silver Brakes.

Now Record Triple, Zephyr, Record LC Derallier are all history.

What are they thinking? ........

Us triple riders are just not REAL cyclists !!!

Ps... My LBS guru is a former Masters champion of the Mt. Washington
Hill Climb. He rides a Triple and a 13-29 Cogset.
He simply does not get dropped on hills.

RPS
06-24-2007, 11:59 AM
I switched from double to triple Campy 10 drivetrains four years ago, when I moved to Colorado. Campy's 52/42/30 chainring offerings do not make sense to this mechanical engineer, so I tried FSA triple cranks. I buy stock 53/39/30 cranks cheap on E-bay and swap the little ring to a 28. :confused: Dave, care to say why Campy's 52/42/30 chainring offering doesn't make sense to you? Is it about the gearing or is there more?