PDA

View Full Version : Stem-Steerer Clamp - am I risking my life?

Louis
06-23-2007, 12:45 PM
I'd like to use a stem that has a clamp height that is a bit taller than the steerer tube really would allow. As shown on the attached pic, the top of the steerer tube is about 6mm below the top of the stem, (but still 4mm above the upper clamp bolt). If it makes any difference, the steerer tube is 1 1/8" steel.

Am I really asking for trouble with this, or will it be OK?

This is the first threadless fork/stem I've worked with, and I know little about them, but I would imagine that ideally the steerer tube would be about 1mm below the top of the stem (or spacers, if I wanted to put a few above the stem).

TIA
Louis

bshell
06-23-2007, 01:41 PM
steer tube is usually 3mm below top cap when no top spacers are present.

snug everything up and you'll be fine.

dave thompson
06-23-2007, 03:41 PM
Send the bike to me. I'll test it and give you a report.

Chris
06-23-2007, 06:15 PM
you're solid. ride your bike.

davep
06-24-2007, 08:47 AM
I had the same issue when I changed stems. Looking at the specs for the Thomson stem they spec no more than 3mm for a carbon steerer tube, but 7mm for aluminum or steel. So, check the specs for you stem, but you should probably be OK.

Dave
06-24-2007, 09:29 AM
To make the setup as safe as possible, move the expanding plug up to the very top of the steering tube, if possible, or use one of the types where the top cap has a large diameter tubular shape with internal threads, rather than the type with a simple M6 clamp bolt.

http://www.fullspeedahead.com/fly.aspx?layout=product&taxid=34&pid=250

I've salvaged a too-short steering tube by permanently epoxying in place an undersized (1-inch) star nut. The star nut had to be ground down slightly, so it just slipped into the carbon steering tube. A small piece of foam rubber under the star nut keeps the epoxy from running down the steering tube. It's not hard to actually extend the length of a steerer by 1cm with this method. I used a 1-inch, no-stop copper tube coupling as a form to allow the epoxy to rise above the top of the steerer. This copper tube coupling has a 1-1/8 inch ID, that's a tight fit with the steering tube. The coupling should be waxed or very lightly greased to keep the epoxy from adhering to it.

ericson
06-24-2007, 04:24 PM
According to my trusty copy of Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance, 3mm-6mm between top of steerer and stem are okay.