PDA

View Full Version : Coaching?

mike p
06-23-2007, 10:26 AM
Who here has hired a coach? Did it help? Was it worth the cost? For the first time I'm considering hiring a coach. I just feel I need some imput to up my game. I spoke with Too Tall and swoop to get some advice. Whats your experience? Any thoughts.

Mike

FlaRider
06-23-2007, 12:18 PM
I've been racing for about 3 years (first bike racing, then triathlon) and honestly couldn't even imagine training without input from my coach. I get daily workouts as well as analysis of my power files. Coaching takes the guesswork out of the training process and the coach provides objectivity that is invaluable. PM me if you have any further questions.

swoop
06-23-2007, 07:31 PM
it's the only way to get seriously fast.
atmo.

Climb01742
06-24-2007, 05:27 AM
agree. a coach can really help you improve. i can't imagine having done MW without one. that said, finding one you_really_synch up with is a challenge. i was mostly satisfied with my cycle-smart coach. the workouts he gave me were great. i improved a lot. but he and i never quite gelled, communication was a challenge (for which i take part of the responsibility.) the ideal situation, i think, is to find a coach you can occasionally ride with. but coaching via the web can work, just not ideal.

mike p
06-24-2007, 09:12 AM
Anyone that has a coach, can you say it took me from cat5 to cat3 in one season? Or cut 5 min. of my TT? I'm just trying to get an Idea of results to be expected. Some coaching is pretty pricey.

Thanks
Mike

swoop
06-24-2007, 03:15 PM
its better to think of it this way. one is a room in the dark and one is a room with a light on. you have to decide what room you're better able to live in until you find the switches on your own.
a coach just shows you the light. what you do with it is up to you.

keno
06-25-2007, 05:52 AM
first I think you should be able to state with some specificity what your goal is. That someone else has improved by moving from cat 5 to 3 or cut 4 minutes off a TT result may bear no relevance to you not only as goals but also to you as an individual athlete who brings your body and mental and emotional make up to the table not easily compared to anyone else's similar characteristics.

My own experience with coaching and my goal did not work out well for me. There were three problems. First, he was in FLA and I in NJ, so his even seeing me ride was out of the question, and I think you need to ride with your coach once in a while as he or she may see things in position, gearing choices, fit, etc. that may be very important in relation to your goal. Second, he was very introverted and difficult to talk with. Third, and most important, the training took all of the fun out of riding as even though I limited specific workouts, in terms of intervals and aerobic levels, to two a week, they were so demanding that there was little energy left for rides with friends. The workouts became too much of a focus in terms of energy. I ended the relationship after a month and I chalked it up to experience.

keno

Climb01742
06-25-2007, 06:03 AM
Anyone that has a coach, can you say it took me from cat5 to cat3 in one season? Or cut 5 min. of my TT? I'm just trying to get an Idea of results to be expected. Some coaching is pretty pricey.

Thanks
Mike

predicting results is hard. with coaching i definitely got stronger. the structure really helped me. if your coach was good and you put in the effort, i'd wager you would certainly see results. how much would depend on a lot of variables: your commitment and talent, your coach's commitment and talent, and how suited you are to your event goal. but all in all, a good coach is a very good investment, at least based on my experience. but i'd interview a few to make sure you were well matched.

William
06-25-2007, 06:44 AM
As has been stated already, predicting what sort of improvements you will have is difficult at best. A lot depends on genetics, your willingness to follow instructions, and how far you are willing push yourself. Good instruction is important, but like the old saying goes, "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink."

When I started racing I went from a cat 5 to a cat three in one season and ended that year by finishing third in the the district Champ RR and a top ten (6th or 7th) in the district crit championships in the cat 1,2, & 3 race (winning the pack sprint..after the break away). But, I had come off of a couple of seasons of competitive rowing at a high level so I was in great shape to begin with. Plus I'm one to always push myself and have a need (or itch if you will) to be in the mix. Plus, I'll always watch and learn from those who are better then me. The "coaching" I had at that time was just the guys on the team who were more experienced at racing then I was. We didn't have a DS per say. I'll bet we could have been even more competitive if we had. But we did well.

The point to my ramble is that if you have good genetics and a work ethic to constantly push yourself to improve, a good dedicated coach can really help polish the rough edges. Even if your genetics may not be the best for cycling, you can still make leaps forward with a good work ethic to push yourself to improve following a coaches guidelines.

Regardless of what you do, any improvement is still based on your willingness to work hard. Set small goals and work toward them. If they are coming too easy, pick tougher goals. But always set something to work for. Bottom line: It's all up to you.

Just my $.02

William

bostondrunk
06-25-2007, 09:35 AM
If you are currently Cat 5:

Ride more, eat less. That'll be $25.

:beer:

Sandy
06-25-2007, 09:43 AM
I am a cat 25. I like your advice and that is exactly what I plan to do. Ride more (climb lots of hills), eat less- eat a lot less. In fact, I am eating probably 1/3 of what I used to eat in a day. Your advice is actually quite good.

Come to the DC area and I will buy you dinner (up to $25.):)

Slowly Shrinking Snail Slow Serotta Somebody

bostondrunk
06-25-2007, 09:46 AM
I am a cat 25. I like your advice and that is exactly what I plan to do. Ride more (climb lots of hills), eat less- eat a lot less. In fact, I am eating probably 1/3 of what I used to eat in a day. Your advice is actually quite good.

Come to the DC area and I will buy you dinner (up to $25.):)

Slowly Shrinking Snail Slow Serotta Somebody

It's the same plan I'm following, as quickly as possible, before the baby boy arrives in August! People keep telling me my training time will become very limited?!?

William
06-25-2007, 09:58 AM
It's the same plan I'm following, as quickly as possible, before the baby boy arrives in August! People keep telling me my training time will become very limited?!?

Ok BD, spill it. Are we talking baby boy Basset? Or are we talking baby boy baby boy? :confused:

William :beer:

bostondrunk
06-25-2007, 10:15 AM
Ok BD, spill it. Are we talking baby boy Basset? Or are we talking baby boy baby boy? :confused:

William :beer:

Baby boy.
I'm still negotiating with the better half about the basset thing. I'm losing that battle... :(

William
06-25-2007, 10:26 AM
Baby boy.
I'm still negotiating with the better half about the basset thing. I'm losing that battle... :(

But Bassets love babies!!

http://toottoot.com/images/firstkiss.jpg

Congrats BD!! :beer:

William

Climb01742
06-25-2007, 10:47 AM
geez, bd, a father. someone better test what's gonna go into junior's bottle. :D

hey, congrats, bd. better ride like hell now. sleep will be rare. happiness, though, won't be.

bostondrunk
06-25-2007, 11:44 AM
Hopefully he'll like being dragged along in a Chariot. My buddy has a double he is gonna sell me. Kid in one seat, beer in the other.... ;)

Willy,
I sent her that pic. She just emailed me a one word reply:
"No!"
Back to the drawing board....How do you convince a better half that a basset hound doesn't smell bad (even though they smell -strong- of hound....)

Talk about hijacking a thread!! Sorry!

mike p
06-25-2007, 11:56 AM
"Talk about hijacking a thread!! Sorry!"

Congrat's Drunk!! The good times are about to begin!

As far as coaching results go, I wasn't looking for any precise results but mainly to make sure there was defenate improvement, as most coach's seem like a lot of money. Thanks for all the help.

Mike

manet
06-25-2007, 12:38 PM
... from cat5 to cat3 in one season? ...

... you do NOT need a coach for that.

keno
06-25-2007, 03:22 PM
with you as my coach, I think I could go from cat 5 to cat box in a weekend.

keno

manet
06-25-2007, 04:02 PM
with you as my coach, I think I could go from cat 5 to cat box in a weekend.

keno

don't limit yourself. the bully pulpit, catbird seat, or dog house are all possible.