PDA

View Full Version : Witch Hunt?

KKevin
06-21-2007, 08:02 AM
From cyclingnews.com

UCI goes after the "Men in Black"

The UCI has targeted "six or seven" top riders who are suspected of using doping products, by subjecting them to extra unannounced doping controls. Some of these riders have already produced "non-negative" results, according to Anne Gripper, director of the UCI's anti-doping program. "We have picked out six or seven riders who are considered high-risk cases because of their suspect behaviour and subsequent good performances in the Tour de France," she told the press agency Belga. Some of these riders "have already had three or four unannounced doping controls," although the UCI only requires one per rider per year.

Gripper said that "We have information that they train in strange places." The controllers refer to the riders as the "Men in Black", because they were neutral clothing on their training rides, rather than their team kit, which helps them avoid attention by the UCI controllers.

"Some of the results may well be announced before the start of the Tour de France," Gripper said. "Several abnormal results have already come in. We are busy with those results and not all of them are negative," she said, "but it will take time, because we have to respect the process, the analysis of the B samples, before we can make any announcements."

Erik.Lazdins
06-21-2007, 09:09 AM
I'd bet that Cyril Dessel and Christophe Moreau aren't on the list!

I could be since I wore a black swobo jersey and black giordana bibs yesterday!

wasfast
06-21-2007, 09:50 AM
It's not a witch hunt if they're actually guilty. Pro cycling still needs more house cleaning (IMO) before it's believeable again.

Delpo
06-21-2007, 10:52 AM
I wish that they would use the memory erasing thingie from Men in Black so that we can all forget about this doping nightmare and get back to the fun of racing.

Delpo

BumbleBeeDave
06-21-2007, 02:11 PM
. . . is reporting that Lance's strong performances in the Tour were due to the surprising fact they have uncovered that his "unknown" father is in fact, none other than Bigfoot!

It MUST be true . . . THEY wouldn't lie, would they??????

BBD

harlond
06-21-2007, 02:12 PM
It's not a witch hunt if they're actually guilty. Pro cycling still needs more house cleaning (IMO) before it's believeable again.You reckon the authorities in Salem thought anything different?

For that matter, with all the ratcheted up prosecution, cycling has had about the same success eliminating doping that Salem had eliminating witches.

I'm with Delpo.

benb
06-21-2007, 02:29 PM
Bad comparison.. there was no supernatural activity in Salem.. there has been plenty in the Peloton.

Ginger
06-21-2007, 02:41 PM
. . . is reporting that Lance's strong performances in the Tour were due to the surprising fact they have uncovered that his "unknown" father is in fact, none other than Bigfoot!

It MUST be true . . . THEY wouldn't lie, would they??????

BBD

At least they didn't claim the guy was an alien...

KKevin
06-22-2007, 08:08 AM
From Velonews

Vinokourov blasts UCI insinuations

Tour de France favorite Alexandre Vinokourov blasted UCI officials for insinuating that Astana riders are trying to avoid anti-doping controls and said he would not be distracted before the July 7 start of the Tour in London.

The UCI earlier this week made suggestions that a half-dozen "suspect" riders were being targeted with increased anti-doping testing and dubbed a few of them as the "men in black" because they were riding in anonymous jerseys to avoid possible controls ahead of the Tour.

Many jumped to the conclusion that officials were referring to Astana riders Vinokourov and others who train along France's Cote d'Azur without wearing their emblematic team jerseys. The Astana team issued a statement Thursday saying the team had "nothing to hide."

In an interview published in the French sports daily L'Equipe, Vinokourov said he was angered by the implication.

"Stop the rumors! If I train in a black jersey it's only on the Cote d'Azur, where I live, and it's because I want to be avoided be recognized by cycling tourists," an angry Vinokourov said. "It's not ideal to train for the Tour when I have 20 riders on my wheel for hours at a time. I'm not the only one who does it. Bettini doesn't train in his rainbow jersey."

On Wednesday, UCI anti-doping manager Anne Gripper told AFP that it was tracking "six or seven" suspect riders ahead of the Tour and subjecting them to extra out-of-competition controls.

Vinokourov told L'Equipe he's already been tested three times, once ahead of Fléche Wallone, another time while training in Tenerife in April and once again in early June in his home in Monaco.

"If there had been an anomaly, I'd be the first to know, but there's been nothing from the UCI, no mail," Vinokourov said. "They are trying to scare us a little, but I am calm. I have nothing to hide."

wasfast
06-22-2007, 08:24 AM
You reckon the authorities in Salem thought anything different?

For that matter, with all the ratcheted up prosecution, cycling has had about the same success eliminating doping that Salem had eliminating witches.

I'm with Delpo.

Noone but the riders and maybe the team managers/doctors know who's really doing illegal (per the UCI list) chemistry/methods. As long as the suspecion level is running as high as it currently is, pro cycling will get large amounts of negative interest.

The riders being tested by the "men in black" supposedly won't be measured by subjective methods but rather lab results. Provided the lab follows industry standards for protocols, being found guilty by that method seems realistic.

The lead up to the TdF has become the spectacle in recent times it seems.

flydhest
06-22-2007, 09:53 AM
The riders being tested by the "men in black" supposedly won't be measured by subjective methods but rather lab results. Provided the lab follows industry standards for protocols, being found guilty by that method seems realistic.

You make it seem like there's never anything subjective in lab results.

You make it seem like the labs always follow standards for protocols.

I better stop, because I make it seem like this is a valid conversation.

William
06-22-2007, 10:04 AM
Don't go to bed, with no price on your head
No, no,
don't do it.

Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time,
Yeah,
don't do it.

And keep your eye-hi-hi-hi on the sparrow.
When the going gets narrow.
Don't do it,
don't do it.

Where can I go where the cold winds don't blow,
Now.

Well, well, well....

And dat's da name of dat tune.