PDA

View Full Version : Received my Specialized Alias 155 Saddle Today

Louis
06-20-2007, 11:01 PM
I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to try it. My 143mm wide ProLink, which I put on a few days ago (to replace the previous ProLink, which went bad), was OK for a 4hr+ ride last Saturday, so I guess I can't complain, and I hate to change things if they seem to be going well.

However, my first impressions of the Specialized:

The Good

1) When I lay a ruler across the back, it sure looks to me like my 105mm wide sit bones will fit better on this 155mm saddle, compared to where they fall on a 143mm wide saddle. They aren't nearly as close to the edge.

2) Weight is less than a ProLink. (By my calibrated hands.)

3) Padding seems about right.

The Bad

1) "Micromatrix" cover reminds me more of a vinyl car seat. Plus there are some seams right about where one's sit bones will rest, even though the cover is advertised as "seamless."

2) Chintzy faux-carbon plastic thingies on the bottom side.

3) Nose is a bit wider than the Selle Italia, and with my massively powerful thighs :p we'll see how that rubs.

Louis

benb
06-21-2007, 10:07 AM
I picked one up from my LBS at lunch yesterday too.

Good luck with it. I measured out at 150mm on the Specialized "device". I can tell riding on this saddle that I definitely, definitely should have been riding on a 150-155mm saddle for years.

I still have to get it in the right place. I had to lower my seat almost 2cm compared to the Toupe 143. I feel like I'm sitting on top of the Alias 155, as opposed to "in" every other narrower seat. Hard to describe. I think I might be sitting further forward on it then other saddles as well.

I immediately noticed an immense increase in balance on the bike though. Like as in I think I can sit up and put on a jacket while riding no handed with this saddle. Enormous difference.

I agree.. the cover is not so great and the padding is perhaps too squishy. But it will do for now, it gets me 90%+ of the way there to saddle perfection. I was concerned about rubbing my thighs.. It's no problem as long as the saddle is in the correct fore/aft position as far as I can tell. The nose is only 2-3mm wider then the 143 Toupe or Alias, it's the middle & back of the saddle which are so much wider.

wasfast
06-21-2007, 10:53 AM
I also fit a 155 width although I've been riding Aliante's for the last 3 years. I bought Vitesse recently to see if that might be the answer but still like the Aliante better despite the face that my sits bones are literally on the edges of the saddle.

Another saddle in this width that was brought to my attention yesterday is the Selle San Marco Aspide Glamour. Sold as a womens saddle but looks to have a nice narrow nose for those of us with big thighs.

Spinner
06-21-2007, 10:56 AM
Louis,

Have you tried a San Marco Regal? I won't leave home without one.

Cheers!