PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to your favorite bike shops

Ginger
06-20-2007, 03:58 PM
I'm not employed by any shop, I don't own any shop and I thought it might be nice to start a thread sending Positive vibes to shops you like (not advertising...sharing), not slamming shops you don't like.
And not a laundry list of what shops inhabit your area, but what shops do *you* really enjoy, local or not? I don't know if I have the right vibe for this thread, but do you get my drift?

I tend to like the smaller shops better... I'm fortunate in the local selection.

Kinetic Systems in Clarkston Mi is my club shop. They sponsor the Flying Rhinos and several club charity rides each year. They're good people and they have a nice shop. They're a little distant for me to frequent often, but I really really like them! They do a great job with whatever you bring to them Campy or Shimano, no matter. But they do get Campy right. And they're a Serotta dealer!

Two Wheel Tango in Ypsilanti. They're a drive, and I think they're a concept store...but if I want to try out all the saddles in the Terry line? I take my bike down and start swapping out saddles. They sponsor several charity rides for local charities. They're riders, they have a nice selection of bikes and gear. They know you need to sit on the saddle before you know if you like it or not.

Continental in Hazel Park. An institution in the area with new owners, moved, and picked up a better attitude towards female customers! Only three miles away from my house, they've improved so much that they're light years beyond what they were when I first walked into Mike Waldon's shop 15 years ago. The staff is helpful and knowledgeable, they have plenty of cool bikes to drool over, and, they're a Serotta dealer!

On the trip for TOMRV we stopped in at Healthy Habits in Bettendorf, IA While I didn't see any Serottas, this shop was very well stocked with great bikes, components, clothing, and nutritional "stuff. Just about anything you'd need. And the staff was helpful and tolerant even though they were sponsoring TOMRV and the shop was hopp'n busy with people getting stuff and having bikes repaired the day before the big ride and getting ready to work support on the ride the next day. Not often I walk into a shop "somewhere else" and wish it was closer to home. I wasn't there long enough to figure out exactly what they carried...but I was there long enough to know if I lived in the area I'd spend way too much money there. Ooooo look at all the pretty wheels!

Anyone else have a shop that they really really like for what they carry or what they do for the community?

93legendti
06-20-2007, 04:03 PM
Ditto on Kinetic Systems.

I am jealous you are 3 miels from Continental. It takes my equal time to get to Continental and Kinetic and it is always a minimum 1 1/2 hour round trip to the lbs. :(

rounder
06-20-2007, 04:23 PM
Good idea for a thread Ginger.

I am near Baltimore. I like the Mt. Washington Bike Shop (Joe's Bike Shop). They mainly carry Seven and Bianchi...the folks there are knowledgeableand helpful and act like they like to ride their bikes. Good selection of stuff. The Lutherville Bike Shop is also very nice...carry Serotta and Scott and also have some Pinarello and Colnago. The owners are new...wish them much success. Both shops have won Balltimore's Best awards.

My favorite bike shop of all time was Chesapeake Cycle Design in Bel Air. Wish they were still there.

itsflantastic
06-20-2007, 04:33 PM
Deep within the lovely neighborhood of Sunset Park, Brooklyn, New York, is an unexpected treasure trove of high end bike gear.

Mr. C's Cycles on 7th ave and 47th st.

They have a killer mechanic, a decent fitting service, and the nicest staff I've ever encountered. Genuinely good people who want to help you out with 0 snobbery. A nice stock of interesting bikes like Guerciotti, De Bernardi, Ciocc, Casati, not to mention Trek, Specialized, and Cannondale. 2 floors full of good stuff, good prices, and 1 heck of a parts bin to dig through. When I built up my CSI I found campy record shifters and a chorus rear derailleur (silver!) 2 years old and unused for a killer price.

If you live in NYC I suggest you try them out. As far as customer service goes they are tops. I liked them so much, I moved 1 block away (joking of course it was mere coincidence) :beer:

Dan

davids
06-20-2007, 05:46 PM
My faves are rather predictable, I think:

International Bike (http://internationalbike.com/index.cfm) in Allston. I bought a few cheap bikes there back before I was a "cyclist" and found them helpful & friendly. I bought my first 'real' bike (my Klein Adept) from them, and they put up with all my questions and indecisiveness. From that point on, either the owner or manager began to recognize me when I came in, and they actually seemed happy to see me! After I'd truly been bitten by the bug, I spent a number of hours in there fondling bikes, and talking about various brands. It's where I first learned about IF and Pegoretti (That nice manager talked up Dario's work quite a bit. Meanwhile, I was getting a lot of other info from some jerk on the intraweb. Eventually I put it together...) When I bought a Serotta from my other favorite shop, they didn't get all pissy and offended - They told me I'd bought a great bike. That manager hooked me up with a great deal on my next bike. He got me into a set of orthotics that are slowly realigning my whole body. And they still seem happy to see me when I come through the door.

Wheelworks (http://www.wheelworks.com/) in Belmont. This is the 900 lb Gorilla in Boston. They have more high-end frames, top-end bikes and, well, everything than any other bike store I've ever been in. I've connected with the best of their large staff over the years, first when I brought my eBay Seven frame to them to be built up, and again when I started serious shopping for a high-end bike. I was able to test ride over a dozen stock and custom bikes, since their inventory is deep enough to provide a wide variety even in my relatively small size. I spent one of the most luxurious days of my life with one of their talented fitters (let's call him "DiTesigns" to protect his identity), getting my position fine-tuned, being sent off to test ride my final candidate bikes, and selecting every last component for my new Nove. I've read the words of a lot of dissatisfied fitting customers on this board - Nothing could be further from my experience. 18 months later, I still look forward to every ride on that bike. And I still go out of my way to drop into the store, even if it's just to say hello.

darylb
06-20-2007, 06:18 PM
I am not saying it because the owner (Bill Bove) is a forum member but my bike shop is Fat Cat Cycles.

I live in a pretty populated area and you would think the selection of shops would be good but honestly, I have only liked a couple that I have been in. Bill's shop is by far my favorite. He carries a great stock of bikes that I wish I could afford. He runs a good old fashioned, come on in and talk about bikes, or racing, or politics (especially local), or whatever current even has Bill laughing that day. I only work a few blocks away so I stop by when I can and they let me hang out and talk and check out all the carbon and campy - even though I really dont buy enough.

Bill and Mike are both great mechanics who really care about their work and they offer fair deals on goods and service. Above all, they are good people.

Bill Bove
06-20-2007, 06:39 PM
Checks in the mail Daryl :D

I am biased, but the shop that most influenced the way I try to run my shop and in many other ways my life is Frank's Spoke 'n Wheel in Waltham, Mass. Frank, his employee's and family have all meant a great deal to me over the years. Thanks, I miss you guys. Even that salesman trying to be the Northshores cycling version of George Stienbrenner.

stevep
06-20-2007, 06:42 PM

I am biased, but the shop that most influenced the way I try to run my shop and in many other ways my life is Frank's Spoke 'n Wheel in Waltham, Mass. Frank, his employee's and family have all meant a great deal to me over the years. Thanks, I miss you guys. Even that salesman trying to be the Northshores cycling version of George Stienbrenner.

and stay in florida.
s

kudos to the shops that deliver. it really does keep the flame burning.

Bart001
06-20-2007, 08:29 PM

I'm somewhat new to the area, and stopped into Frank's to buy a pump last week. They sure do have a lot of bikes crammed into that space. That's a good sign :) And the salesman didnt try to sell me THE most expensive pump; another good sign.

Two central Mass. shops that have done good by me are Trek Stop in South Grafton and Bicycle Alley in Worcester. Gerry, the owner of Trek Stop, got my Legend ti on the road for me and is a gem of a guy. And he actually beat Lance in a race! (Lance's first time entering the Fitchburg Longsjo Classic, I believe, which I'm told that Gerry won that year.)

csm
06-20-2007, 08:39 PM
Holme's Cycling and Fitness in Camp Hill, PA.

Jack Brunk
06-20-2007, 08:55 PM
I have two. Sundance Cycles in Agoura Hills, Ca and International Bicycles in Boston. Both a top notch shops and they get it.

H.Frank Beshear
06-20-2007, 09:11 PM
On the trip for TOMRV we stopped in at Healthy Habits in Bettendorf, IA While I didn't see any Serottas, this shop was very well stocked with great bikes, components, clothing, and nutritional "stuff. Just about anything you'd need. And the staff was helpful and tolerant even though they were sponsoring TOMRV and the shop was hopp'n busy with people getting stuff and having bikes repaired the day before the big ride and getting ready to work support on the ride the next day. Not often I walk into a shop "somewhere else" and wish it was closer to home. I wasn't there long enough to figure out exactly what they carried...but I was there long enough to know if I lived in the area I'd spend way too much money there. Ooooo look at all the pretty wheels!

Anyone else have a shop that they really really like for what they carry or what they do for the community?

Thanks for the good words about my favorite shop. Bruce and the guys do a lot for cycling beside TOMRV. It's a great shop and Bruce has put a lot of time and effort in making it a success. he's always been willing to go the extra mile to help someone out. He's still working on a jersey for you btw ;) :D

bironi
06-20-2007, 09:18 PM
Here is what I said, and it still holds true.

I feel very fortunate. I am fairly new to the Olympia, WA region, about 3 years, but I think Seattle has nothing over the cycling scene here. I am especially impressed with the best bike shop in town. The Bike Stand is managed by Bill Stevenson, a custom steel frame builder, who is a great asset to the cycling community in Olympia. He builds a quality ride, leads local rides, leads spin classes in the winter, builds wheels, keeps our bikes in good running order. Anyone may walk back to his workstand to chat while he goes about his business. He seems to know everyone in the industry, and many from his racing past. I swap cycling books and videos with him regularly, and suck his wheel on many a local ride.

He told me today that business is up 91 percent from last year. His attitude and reputation and commitment keep us all coming back for more service. I hope all of you are as lucky as we are here in my community. I would like to hear how things are in your area. What do you think of your best local bike shop?

Byron

Ginger
06-20-2007, 09:48 PM
He's still working on a jersey for you btw ;) :D
Talk about going the extra mile for a customer! He's such a sweetheart. But please let him know it's ok!

AgilisMerlin
06-20-2007, 11:12 PM
CycleMania : Portland Maine

because Eddie can suffer like nobody else on two wheels

because Dave is the best hack mechanic this side of the divide

because of this we called Dave the Butcher" - cause he ain't no baker nor candlestick maker.

although i live deep in the mountains of Virginia - i spent 5 good years working for those two in the mid nineties........

give em' a shout :banana:

kerrycycle
06-21-2007, 03:49 AM
To respond to davids comment earler about International Bike in Boston / Allston...

A word of warning about International Bike. A newbie racer I know recently bought a new bike from them. Let's say she is a bit vertically challenged and needs a small frame. Supposedly International Bike gave her a fitting. When she showed up at a race, the bike had 175 mm crank arms and her knees were nearly hitting her chest. Needless to say, a teamate and I sent her back to the shop to get properly sized cranks. Secondly, I am disappointed with many of their bike builds that I have seen as they seem to build up their stuff with whatever they have laying around. For example, they recently had a Pinarello Dogma FP on the floor built up with Bontrager hardware & wheels...a definite NO NO. I've seen other poor choice builds sitting on their showroom floor as well. Needless to say, I am now steering persons away from the shop.

Bill Bove
06-21-2007, 04:29 AM
175 cranks, no.

Bontrager hardware and wheels? Why not?

Bruce K
06-21-2007, 07:34 AM
Favorite LBS is a shared experience between Bay Road Bikes in Hamilton, MA and Seaside Cycle in Manchester-by-the-Sea, MA. Both are small, comfy shops with good mechanics and fun stuff to look at and play with.

Favorite Serotta dealer is now Grace Bicycles in Holliston, MA. They hosted a Demo Night last night with Steve bringing out the demo fleet and John providing support. A nice ride with some STRONG riders and a pleasnat evening after. Roy Cervantes is a real gentleman, he is very knowledgable from all his years in retail and at Seven, and he seems to be a very good fitter (SICI Certified) from what I have seen.

My favorite shops when traveling is still Fat Cat Bicycles in Lake Worth, FL (yes, that's Bill Bove's place), and Oakley Cycle in Cincinnati, OH (Kathy Krumme's shop). Both are comfy, clubby shops with great inventory and excellent knowledge.

BK

sspielman
06-21-2007, 07:57 AM
I really don't have much need for a local bike shop...they never have what I want on hand...and when I ask if they can order it, their eyes glaze over, I wait a week, and they got it wrong...So, I ether utilise the internet/mail order OR I stock up when I can get to my favorite shop. My favorite shop is ERA in Lancaster, PA. They always have a big selection of the consumable items...AND they have lots of frames, wheels, etc. to cause trouble for future purchase planning. I have never gone wrong by sending friends there for bike purchases...or new riders for fitting.....and they build great wheels as well. They understand the difference between Quality and Expensive.....

davids
06-21-2007, 08:37 AM
175 cranks, no.

Bontrager hardware and wheels? Why not?
+1, on each comment...

And I didn't know that Grace was now a Serotta dealer. That's a store I'd like to check out - I keep riding closer and closer to Holliston, but haven't made it there yet.

Tom
06-21-2007, 08:48 AM
- For wrenching and large purchases, Blue Sky Cycles in Saratoga. A little out of the way for me but by far the best shop in the area as far as I am concerned. From mechanics to service to fittings, the best. Tell them what you want and they'll set you up and never steer you wrong.

- Local for drinks and spare tubes and stuff, Plaines in Schenectady. Pups, but very enthusiastic riders and they bring a lot of energy to the local scene.

Bart001
06-21-2007, 09:26 AM
Favorite Serotta dealer is now Grace Bicycles in Holliston, MA. They hosted a Demo Night last night with Steve bringing out the demo fleet and John providing support. A nice ride with some STRONG riders and a pleasnat evening after. Roy Cervantes is a real gentleman, he is very knowledgable from all his years in retail and at Seven, and he seems to be a very good fitter (SICI Certified) from what I have seen.

Darn I wish I'd known about this. I live very close to Holliston. But I'll be sure to check out that shop.

barry1021
06-21-2007, 09:34 AM
CycleLoft in Burlington, Ryan in service has been great. Bought my original Serotta at Wheelworks, but CycleLoft is much more convenient for me, and the service has been good.
In Scottsdale, its Fat Tire in Cave Creek, a small Trek shop but 5 miles from my house and just great folks. Also Bicycle Showcase in Scottsdale, which I happened to see as I was heading to my first and last stop at the Landis shop around the corner (AVOID, IMO). It's a shop for serious cyclists, and they always have the odd part that i am looking for.

b21

Ginger
06-21-2007, 09:42 AM
:banana:
Excuse me...I'm noticing some negativity seeping in. EVERYONE will have a shop they don't like that someone else loves. Every shop will have an issue of some sort. Even if you love a shop, you know that somewhere they have dirt. We're not looking for dirt.

We're looking for POSITIVE vibes here!

We're not looking for recommendations or slams, just who your favorite bike shop is and why. Say something nice before they're all gone!

Thanks! :banana:

P.S. Kerrycycle, tell us something about *your* favorite shop! Tell us why it's your favorite shop.

scooter01
06-21-2007, 09:46 AM
Well my local shop was the one in the other thread that has closed.

But my LBS that I currently use isn't really a true walk in shop at this time.
He is by far the best wrench I have ever seen as well as spending countless hours with me, and he is a fellow Forumite
Praised by many here and that's Spoke :)

mpetry
06-21-2007, 10:03 AM
I feel very lucky to have 3 bike shops - each unique, and each of which have made cycling a great experience !

#1 Cupertino Bike Shop in Cupertino, CA proprietor Vance Sprock has only sold me 3 Serottas and his knowledge, friendship, and sense of humor make every visit to his well equipped store a great experience.

#2 Classic Cycle, Bainbridge Island, WA, when you visit Seattle be sure to see Jeff Groman's collection of 200+ vintage bikes with an emphasis in the historical track and 6 day racing bikes. Jeff is producing a movie that documents the history of this great sport and the larger than life personalities that made it unique. National Team Mechanic Paul Johnson has "the touch" and is always ready to offer good advice or a funny story.

#3 Il Vecchio, Seattle, WA Just down the hill from scenic Leschi Park on the shore of Lake Washington, George Gibbs' small but beautiful shop evokes memories of the old "Cupertino Bike Shop" when Spence Wolf sold Alex Singer and Cinelli.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA

William
06-21-2007, 11:20 AM
SteveP's buddies down in Wakefield Rhode Island.... :cool:

Jim, John, and Eric at Steadman's. A nice hole in the wall bike shop with all the cool stuff, excellent wrenches, cross racers and roadies, and they support the local race scene...esp. cross.

When you walk in, look toward the bottom of the display case where the register is. The Serotta Banana guy will be smiling up at you. :banana:

William

bcm119
06-21-2007, 11:46 AM
My local go-to shop is Full Cycles (http://www.fullcycles.com)
They're relatively new, run by young guys, and have really stepped up in supporting the local racing scene.

Past favorites in SoCal:
-Fastrack in Santa Barbara

-Sundance in Agoura Hills

Bob Ross
06-21-2007, 12:01 PM
International Bike (http://internationalbike.com/index.cfm) in Allston.

Hey, I bought my very first bona-fide lightweight racing bike from them...27 years ago!

These days my favorite is probably the Piermont Bicycle Connection (http://www.piermontbike.com/). They have the best mix of knowledgeable/friendly staff, drool-worthy bikes (from Cervelo, Cannondale, Lightspeed, Scott, and a few others), and most importantly, conscientious and thorough mechanics.

Also, a big shout out to Larry's 2nd Avenue Bicycles Plus (http://larrysbicyclesplus.com/index.cfm), who get 2 outta 3.

jthurow
06-21-2007, 12:41 PM

Thanks for the good words about my favorite shop. Bruce and the guys do a lot for cycling beside TOMRV. It's a great shop and Bruce has put a lot of time and effort in making it a success. he's always been willing to go the extra mile to help someone out. He's still working on a jersey for you btw ;) :D

When I lived in the QCA (that's Quad City Area for those not in the know) I used to routinely ask Bruce and Jim at Healthy Habits to help me out getting my odd ball vintage parts to work together. They never gave me a cross look even though I was more of a pain in their arse then a high dollar customer. I miss those guys more than the quite Iowa farm roads.

Round StL, I've had good luck at Maplewood Cycles and Mesa Cycles. Both went out of their way to help me with find some replacement spokes when I started poppin' them like mad on one of my wheel sets. Definitely not high dollar parts but they made it feel like they were.

jimi

72gmc
06-21-2007, 12:47 PM
Elliott Bay Cycles in Seattle. New stuff, old stuff, all kinds of riders, a lot of bike culture. Everyone from Bob Freeman (whose shop it is) to Bill Davidson to the rest of the staff will just talk bikes and rides, offer advice, and show you their favorites without pushing product on you. If you're lucky enough to purchase a custom you get a thoughtful fitting from Bob himself, as much conversation as you need about ideas and options, and visits to the fabrication and paint shops in the back. They're genuine bike nuts.

Plus it's a short walk to the Pike Place Market for cookies the size of your head.

davyt
06-21-2007, 01:23 PM
My favorite is Bike Station Aptos (http://www.bikestationaptos.com/) in Aptos, CA (near Santa Cruz). Joanne, Matt and Lee are enthusiastic and attentive and do all that extra stuff that makes for a completely positive experience.

peter weigle
06-21-2007, 02:56 PM

Jim, John, and Eric at Steadman's. A nice hole in the wall bike shop with all the cool stuff, excellent wrenches, cross racers and roadies, and they support the local race scene...esp. cross.

When you walk in, look toward the bottom of the display case where the register is. The Serotta Banana guy will be smiling up at you. :banana:

William
Peter Weigle says,,,
I'll second that,,, Steadman's is a great shop,, have know the folks there for years.
Eric and I raced together back in the old days,,,
I rode The Flattest Century with John,Eric, and Barbara last year.
John speaks Rando!! That will come in handy when he does PBP this year. Jim knows his stuff! Great shop!

RIHans
06-21-2007, 04:07 PM
I admit I'm biased, 'cause I worked there years ago for the current owner's Dad...Ken Caster.
That said, it's a quality shop with a good selection, and the workers are racers and the shop supports the sport.
BikeRI.com
Hans

Steelhead
06-21-2007, 04:21 PM
A little over two and a half years ago my Dad was diagnosed with cancer in and around his kidneys. The prognosis was originally pretty good and we all traveled to Houston where he was admitted to MD Anderson Cancer Center and they would be able to take care of the problem from there. Upon further investigation by the doctors at MDA, there was really nothing they could do. My Dad's health went down quickly, and we began the process of aggressive chemotherapy and all that entails. I live in Austin and would spend many days driving back and forth to Houston, and often spending the night and trading shifts at MDA with my Mom and little sister sitting with my Dad, watching him slip farther away every week.

During those times I got out the phone book and looked for bike shops in the area - I needed something to do with myself to get away from that place and I found West End Bicycles not too far away. I would drive over there 2-3 times a week and just walk around looking at the bikes. They have a wonderful little shop that is in a nondescript building off a freeway in Houston. Concrete floors, an open mechanics area, a grass roots racing team, and a cool shop dog. They also had a collection of not for sale vintage mountain bikes which I loved, old stuff from Ibis, Fisher, Ritchey, Fat City, Merlin, Yeti...all the cool old stuff. They sold Moots, Indy Fab, SyCip and a few of the main street lines, as well as Castelli clothing and Swobo I think.

I never bought anything in there in all the times I visited except a SyCip t-shirt for myself and a pair of Moots socks for a friend. The time I spent in there was a blessing to me in the lonely dark world of watching a loved one fighting cancer.

About two weeks before my Dad left this world I told him I had ridden 100 miles the day before. He held my hand and told me, "I want you to keep your head on straight, help your Mom and sister, and keep on riding those bikes - I know you love it and that makes me happy. I'm real proud of you." That was really the last lucid talk we had.

Aside from my regular haunts and hang outs in Austin (Bicycle Sport Shop where I got my Serotta CDA and Nelo's), West End Bicycles in Houston has a special spot in my heart.

:)

stevep
06-21-2007, 07:48 PM
Peter Weigle says,,,
I'll second that,,, Steadman's is a great shop,, have know the folks there for years.
Eric and I raced together back in the old days,,,
I rode The Flattest Century with John,Eric, and Barbara last year.
John speaks Rando!! That will come in handy when he does PBP this year. Jim knows his stuff! Great shop!

dont forget everett...
85 yrs old... not getting any younger but still kicking...
hes been there for all 85 yrs.
he likes his if the best of his bikes.

iPaul
06-21-2007, 08:18 PM

William

I bought my Alexi Grewal colored Columbus SL tubed Pinarello there. Soooo many miles and memories from that bike. Thanks Steadmans!

saab2000
06-21-2007, 08:21 PM
I really like one LBS. But not many more.

Grand Performance on Grand Avenue in St. Paul, MN. Not a Serotta dealer, but should be.

Dan Casebeer was (still is to be honest) a world class cyclist in the 80s. Now runs GP and sponsors a high-level team. Sells Bianchis, Campagnolo, Surly, Moots, Zipp, Continental, Salsa, and even Shimano if you ask nicely in the back room.

They open the beers in the back room by 1 PM. They will glue tires as well as anyone anywhere on earth. They will sell you a super duper Bianchi or Moots and do whatever needs to be done. It is really too bad Dan doesn't sell Serottas, because he is the quintessential knowledgeable rider who gives a crap and knows a thing or two about fit. But for some reason he doesn't sell Serotta. He is the reason I don't own more Serottae. I am loyal to Dan and he is loyal to the non-Serotta world. Bianchi is his world and has been since Moreno Argentin was riding with toe-straps.

And Dan on his Bianchi at 50 will drop riders 20 years his junior on a regular basis. And then wait for them at the next light with zero attitude. His shop rides have one rule. "NO attitudes allowed."

Given the oddball service at many LBSs, I am not keen on most of them. But sometimes there is a diamond in the rough. And GP in St. Paul is one of them.

RIHans
06-22-2007, 01:50 AM
Mr. Casebeer's shop rides are "No attitudes allowed"...
Sigh me up! Bring the hammer, lose the 'tude.
Hans

myette10
06-22-2007, 05:26 AM
Two central Mass. shops that have done good by me are Trek Stop in South Grafton and Bicycle Alley in Worcester. Gerry, the owner of Trek Stop, got my Legend ti on the road for me and is a gem of a guy. And he actually beat Lance in a race! (Lance's first time entering the Fitchburg Longsjo Classic, I believe, which I'm told that Gerry won that year.)

That Gerry loves to talk! The Trek Stop is my local shop as well and it ain't for their inventory (that's what Wheelworks is for). Service is the word. The head mechanic Kenny is a great guy and has become a good friend over the years. He knows his stuff and no one else touches my bikes. Gerry is a perfectionist in every sense of the word (I recall one night being there until 2:00 am as he tried to tune the slightest squeak from an old set of open pros) and has taught Kenny well. They will get absolutely every last bit of performance that can be gotten out of your bike.

They are trying to establish a mid-week 5:30 pm shop ride so if you are in the area PM me and I'll grab your email. It had been Thursdays but moved to Wednesday this week and the result was a bit better attendance. Bgav was in the house, riding strong. To give you an idea of the effort, us fellas did 53 miles w/3200' climbing at just over 20 mph and there was a women's ride that went 25 miles at 16 mph or so...

William
06-22-2007, 05:32 AM
dont forget everett...
85 yrs old... not getting any younger but still kicking...
hes been there for all 85 yrs.
he likes his if the best of his bikes.

Doh! :crap:

I forgot to mention Everett!!

William

Serotta PETE
06-22-2007, 05:40 AM
Bet that comes as a shock ;) ;) ;) ;)

Also SPOKES in RALEIGH and SPIN CYCLE in Cary.

quattro
06-22-2007, 06:18 AM
[QUOTE=William]Doh! :crap:

I forgot to mention Everett!!

Living in Kingston and Narragansett for many years I used to frequenst Stedmans and ride with Eric and Everett once in a while. A great little shop, I always stop in to say hi when I'm in the area. If in the area make sure to stop into Italian Village across the street for a broccilli/eggplant parmagana pie, to die for!

wgp
02-21-2009, 06:18 PM
Decided to resurrect this thread after responding to the request for good DC shops to visit.

I really like the Bicycle Pro Shop in Georgetown - great people and mechanics. They are my local go-to shop, but I also like Bill Mould as a wheelbuilder at the Spokes shop in Alexandria (Belle Haven store).

From my travels, I have to say some of the following (in no order):

Vechios (a museum of racing paraphanalia adorning the walls) and Pro Peleton in Boulder, CO

Big Shark, Maplewood, and Ghisallo in St. Louis

mhc
02-21-2009, 06:36 PM
Bici Bike, San Jose.

thwart
02-21-2009, 06:58 PM
Geez, I miss Ginger...

draper
02-21-2009, 07:00 PM
B&L in Solana Beach is really helpful when I need it with modern/current stuff. Velo Cult is great for the vintage and fixie.

Not my LBS but River City is enough to make me want to live in Portland. Great Staff and selection. I work in Portland quite a bit and they have always treated me right.

Bruce K
02-21-2009, 07:10 PM
I doubt we'll be hearing much from the newly married lady any time soon unless the happy couple make an appearance at NAHBS.

She is greatly missed but I'm sure she is happy down in Australia.

BK

PacNW2Ford
02-21-2009, 07:25 PM
B&L in Solana Beach is really helpful when I need it with modern/current stuff. Velo Cult is great for the vintage and fixie.

Not my LBS but River City is enough to make me want to live in Portland. Great Staff and selection. I work in Portland quite a bit and they have always treated me right.

I've been a customer of River City's ever since they opened. They're just good people.

kgreene10
02-21-2009, 09:26 PM
I had great experiences at the old City Cycle in San Francisco. I heard that it changed significantly last year and I have no knowledge of the new place, but at the old one the guys were road bike experts, they gave free fittings before you bought a bike, and they would set up multiple rides to your specs and let you test them over a three mile course. Contrast that with places that try to sell you whatever they need to move out the door and wince at anything more than a parking lot ride.

Here in Austin, I really like AustinBikes. Sol and Eric are very cool and very nice. They both race and definitely know their stuff, but they don't lord anything over anyone. In fact, the place has a vibe of encouragement and relaxation. They are very much part of the local community and I feel good about rewarding that.

jlwdm
02-21-2009, 10:11 PM
Dazza posts a fair amount across the hall and Ginger posted a few times about the wedding.

Jeff

chuckred
02-21-2009, 11:52 PM
I'm rarely there as it's not local for me... but this am I ended up in Morrison with the wrong shoes for my bike (dumb a$$ rookie move). Swung in to Green Mountain Sports and one of the guys who works there loaned me a pair of his personal Crank Bros. pedals that he had in his truck. Saved my ride! The guy had never seen me before - just asked that I bring them back "sometime".

That was for sure beyond the call of duty!

Thanks guys!

Hope you enjoyed the Smithwick's!

EastCoastRoadie
02-22-2009, 01:27 PM
Evolution Pro Bike in Buckingham, PA. Scott is an incredible mechanic, and carries a nice variety of high end bikes (no longer Serotta b/c Ben thought he should focus only on Serottas). Very straight shooter who doesn't try to up-sell you on anything frivolous, but rather really listens to what you want and think you need. The boy can flat out ride as well! :beer:

Ripple
02-22-2009, 02:42 PM
Bet that comes as a shock ;) ;) ;) ;)

Also SPOKES in RALEIGH and SPIN CYCLE in Cary.

+1 on Cyclesport .... :)

Bought my Legend and an IF there as well. Good fit, knowledge, integrity ... and they take care of you.

97CSI
02-22-2009, 07:14 PM
Also, CycleSport in Media, PA. Home of Harry Havnoonian. Who is busy (I hope) putting the finishing touches on my new lugged touring frameset.

Oirad
02-23-2009, 06:09 PM
Berlin Bicycle (in Berlin, CT). Chapeau to Chris and to Bruce, and to crew. Good, knowledgeable, honest folks. They like nice bikes and they like ordinary bikes. It's about the cycling more than anything.

-- Oirad

PoppaWheelie
02-23-2009, 06:37 PM
I had great experiences at the old City Cycle in San Francisco. I heard that it changed significantly last year and I have no knowledge of the new place, but at the old one the guys were road bike experts, they gave free fittings before you bought a bike, and they would set up multiple rides to your specs and let you test them over a three mile course. Contrast that with places that try to sell you whatever they need to move out the door and wince at anything more than a parking lot ride.

Aeron, Ari and Steph opened Bespoke Cycles in Noe Valley...go check 'em out and say hi (I think they're on Castro). They've helped me out a few times over the past few months...nice guys.

William
06-29-2011, 09:31 AM
I'll revive this thread to give a shout out to my buddies in Wakefield...the Lbs price quote thread spurred me on to talk about the shops we like again...

I know I've mentioned them here before, as have some other forum friends...but I'll do it again cause those guys are the best!!

They take good care of me....and everyone else that walks in their door, prices are reasonable, support and customer service is great. I was actually there yesterday and was pleasantly surprised at the smokin' deal they gave me on two mtb's.

If you're ever in Southern RI for a vacation at the beaches and need a rental, service, parts, or just want to shoot the breeze with folks who get it...go here:

http://www.westedman.com/

Selling bikes since 1920. Say hi to Jim and John (Everett and Eric haven't been around too much lately).

William

PS: I need to figure out how to get the photos I took of the Fondriest and Carrera frame and forks hanging in the shop off my phone.

dave thompson
06-29-2011, 11:27 AM
For me..... Two Wheel Transit here in Spokane. I pass 3 bike shops on my way there. New owners (as of last year) trying very hard, and succeeding, in engaging the cycling community here. Extremely knowledgeable, terrific customer service; the other day I rode there to show off my new Milholland and they noticed I hadn't cut my stem down yet. Their question: "Would you like us to do that for you now?" came out of the blue. I love these guys!

FlashUNC
06-29-2011, 12:22 PM
I'll add my two cents.

If you're ever in Charlotte, stop by Espada Bicycles on North Davidson and 35th St.

Its a one-man band, and Steve does fantastic work. Doesn't a lot of inventory, but can order just about anything within a day or two, and is one of the best wrenches I've seen.

Plus, on the gallery crawl nights (shop's mixed in with a bunch of galleries, and shares space with a custom jeweler), they have cupcakes for sale:

http://espadabicycles.com/

gdw
06-29-2011, 12:49 PM
The Trek Store in Boulder is an exceptional all-around shop. Friendly knowledgeable staff, skilled mechanics, realistic prices... and no attitude. I'm one of those customers who just buys cables and housing but have been treated very well and have paid them back by sending friends looking for new bikes to their shop. So far they've sold 4 due to those referrals.

As to pro level shops, Old Potatoe's is the best in Boulder.

Ahneida Ride
06-29-2011, 12:51 PM
In Manhattan .... Signature Cycles

In Northern NJ .... Cyclesport

In Washington DC ..... our own Smiley

In Vermont ...... Mt. Cycology, Ludow, Vt.

bfd
06-29-2011, 02:03 PM
I might have missed it, but nobody in the SF Bay Area seems to have mentioned A Bicycle Odyssey in Sausalito, CA! Tony Tom, the owner, is a great fitter and mechanic and the shop is listed on Classic Rendezvous as one of the top vintage shops in the US:

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Bike_Shops/A-Bicycle-Odyssey.htm

Although Tony always has a great selection of latest carbon/ti/aluminum and steel framesets. That includes being the US distributor for Ron Cooper frames. He is also a Serotta dealer. Good Luck!

Aaron O
06-29-2011, 02:12 PM
There are basically three shops I go to in Philadelphia and I see each as having a slightly different purpose:

One - Via Bicycles (on line as bikeville.com) - their mechanics are first rate, the owner, Curtis, is fantastic (and actually pays people), he gets interesting stuff to look at and for those super rare parts, he's a major resource. I absolutely love Via and their employees.

Two - Bicycle Therapy - for more modern stuff, they are terrific. Honest, great work and they do what they say they will correctly the frist time. Sometimes their waites can get long and they are NOT cheap - but they're worth it.

Three- Bells Bicycles - the're actually more of a warehouse, but for buying stuff in Philly, they can't be beat.

henry14
06-30-2011, 01:34 AM
In San Francisco:

Roaring Mouse

Box Dog Bikes

Freewheel

AngryScientist
06-30-2011, 06:37 AM
In Northern NJ .... Cyclesport

+1,

a few months ago, when i was putting my cross bike together, i called (literally) a dozen local shops looking for a GXP bottom bracket in stock. Cyclesport is a bit of a drive for me, but they were the only ones in a reasonable radius of my home (remember now, there were at least 11 other shops that didnt have one in stock), but Cyclesport came through. Cool shop.

tele
06-30-2011, 07:04 AM
here in the happy valley I enjoy Valley Bike and Ski Werks in Hadley. Great guys, know them for 20+ years. Bike wrenches are fast and willing to teach, especially when I bring a rack of brew. :beer:

dumbod
06-30-2011, 07:16 AM
I have three:

My go-to shop is Bay Ridge Cycle World in Brooklyn. They don't have the greatest selection of high-end stuff in the world but the owner and lead mechanic are both excellent and they're happy to work with you.

It's hard to beat Signature Cycle in Manhattan for top-end gear and their service is top notch.I stripped a thread on my wife's crankset disassembling the bike the day before we left for a one-month trip to England. Grant saved the day and the trip (not to mention my bacon) by re-boring that afternoon.

Joe's Garage in Haydenville, Mass (near Northhampton). Joe is probably the best mechanic I know and a genuinely nice guy.

oldpotatoe
06-30-2011, 07:33 AM
The Trek Store in Boulder is an exceptional all-around shop. Friendly knowledgeable staff, skilled mechanics, realistic prices... and no attitude. I'm one of those customers who just buys cables and housing but have been treated very well and have paid them back by sending friends looking for new bikes to their shop. So far they've sold 4 due to those referrals.

As to pro level shops, Old Potatoe's is the best in Boulder.

Grazie molto, quello era molto genere di voi.

Aaron O
06-30-2011, 07:51 AM
I have another shout out...I've only been in there once, and didn't have any work done, but Wheelfine Imports in Lambertville NJ (pretty close to New Hope/Bucks County) was pure eye candy. I've never seen so many beautiful frames in one spot...he had an AMAZING Cinelli B, possibly the nicest frame I've seen of its age, that I might buy if I can find sufficient body armor to protect me from my wife.

Also - the dude is just COOL! We were wrapping about Tom kellog and his days working with Redcay, Bilenky...everyone. It was a delight.

AngryScientist
06-30-2011, 08:15 AM
I have another shout out...I've only been in there once, and didn't have any work done, but Wheelfine Imports in Lambertville NJ (pretty close to New Hope/Bucks County) was pure eye candy. I've never seen so many beautiful frames in one spot...he had an AMAZING Cinelli SC, possibly the nicest frame I've seen of its age, that I might buy if I can find sufficient body armor to protect me from my wife.

Also - the dude is just COOL! We were wrapping about Tom kellog and his days working with Redcay, Bilenky...everyone. It was a delight.

good to know, i ride down in that neck of the woods every once in a while.

Aaron O
06-30-2011, 08:40 AM
DEFINITELY worth the stop. He has a gorgeous Marnati at a reasonable number that I'm also pondering. I just can't get that B out of my head...I almost hope someone buys it before me to help me resist temptation.

If you want some interesting conversation, steer it to performance of American frames vs. Italian. He's not a fan of American frames (which I firmly disagree with, but that's what makes these chats so fun!). He's VERY opinionated, and I mean that as a compliment.

Hank Scorpio
06-30-2011, 11:31 AM
Michael at Wheelfine is awesome. That is my favorite LBS to frequent. So much to look at and he is always willing just talk bikes or offer his opinion on a any variety of other topics. Definitely a must visit if you are even remotely close.

I went to Cyclesport twice. Plenty of serottas to look at as well as high end accessories to ogle.

jr59
06-30-2011, 12:14 PM
I don't live there, nor have I ever been,

BUT

I want to give Peter @ Vechiros (spelling) in Bolder some props.

I think if I lived closer, I would be a 51 year old shop rat!

christian
11-10-2011, 03:33 PM
Searched out this old thread just to give a shout out to two great shops in Northern Westchester:

Both Julio Bicycles in Chappaqua and Bicycle World in Mt. Kisco, NY are great LBSs.

Julio is a smaller shop, but they have a great mechanic, helpful owners and staff, a good selection of Campagnolo, and carry Colnago, Moots, Look, along with Scott and a couple of other big brands. Also a great selection of saddles and stems. Just the kind of bike shop that's a pleasure to visit. Last time I was there, got bearings, and a freehub for a Mavic CrossMax wheel, an Italian-thread, ISO-taper 111mm bottom bracket, and a 12x1 1/4 tube for my son's bike. All in stock at fair prices.

Bicycle World in Mt. Kisco is a much bigger Ridley, Trek, Giant, Parlee dealer. Very good mechanics, incredible selection of accessories (Sidis in every size!). It's pretty much like the internet in a bike shop. And great sales staff, too. Last time they worked on my bike, they stuck a shop water bottle in the bottle cage, just like that. Class act!

I feel extremely fortunate to have shops like this in and near my hometown.

etu
11-11-2011, 08:50 AM
Roaring Mouse Cycles - deals mostly with mainstream bikes, but Chris Lane the owner is a very nice guy who is all about customer service and running a tight ship. He does not mess around when it comes to making sure people get what they need. I've known him since he opened over 10yrs ago and I can't say I have encountered anyone who is as conscientious and serious about his business. Nicely balance with a crew of mechanics who are laid back and do great work.

Bicycle Odyssey - Tony is an establishment. Master fitter. Really cool bikes.

evo111@comcast.net
11-11-2011, 07:30 PM
Dallas/Fort Worth TX area

Knobbies And Slicks in Colleyville

Fairly new shop about a year old. Smaller than the typical big box stores in the Dallas area and more personal attention. Bud the owner is top notch. He has created a great feel in the shop. You can hang out and have beer, spin training classes, massage therapist, showers, group rides, etc.

Great mix of bikes and equipment - road, mtb and tri and some very sweet builds, Chris King Ciello, Pegoretti, Fondriest, etc.

Reutel fitting, pretty slick with aero/tt fits.

Great mechanics.

:bike:

maxn
11-12-2011, 03:44 AM
not local to me anymore, but Montano Velo in Oakland is a great shop.

soulspinner
11-12-2011, 06:20 AM
Full Moon Vista in Rochester NY. Scott, Kyle, Shana et al do a nice job in the coolest part of town, and they have supported cross and rr here including the now defunct (funding) twilight criterium that was such a boon to the area.

1happygirl
11-12-2011, 10:02 AM
Great shops all.

From the earlier posts, Are they all still up and in business?

It would be fun to 'road trip' and visit all of them!!!!!!!!