PDA

View Full Version : met helmets

soulspinner
06-20-2007, 04:49 AM
Anyone know a US source for Met helmets? My 2 year old Bell Ghisallo is getting a hairline crack (not crashed). Thought Id try a Met as they are light and stylish.

boneman
06-20-2007, 07:04 AM
Last time I checked, they were still not being sold in the US. Manufacturer does not care to be exposed to US liability litigation. I bought mine when living in London.

frenk
06-20-2007, 07:26 AM
You are right, Met won't sell in the US.
Best is to get one when you travel to Europe. I don't suggest to buy one online because fit is somewhat different compared to Bell/Giro & co.

BumpyintheBurgh
06-20-2007, 09:57 AM
I've had a Met Stradivarius for over 5 years. Good helmet, no problems, easy to adjust the fit and it is sharp looking. Chances are that you won't see many of them around. Bought mine from one of the UK bike stores online, don't remember which one. They are sold on eBay by the Flex-ABC store. If you are shopping for something different, other helmets that you rarely see are Spiuk, LAS, Lazer and Catlike.

soulspinner
06-20-2007, 10:02 AM
thank you for your responses

Polyglot
06-20-2007, 10:14 AM
The Met helmets do not meet the USA safety standards and the manufacturer is not interested in making a specific model to pass them. When I spoke to them about possibly importing them a few years back, they said that they had no intention of selling in the US because of the risk of litigation and the cost of double models. They recalled the situation with Brancale helmets many years ago (Brancale went bankrupt for a bogus helmet lawsuit). One of the main selling points of their helmets in Europe is that they are lightweight, something they would lose if they were obliged to pass US standards. European standard helmets can pass with lighter weight foam and different straps and strap fixation. For your standard bicycle accident, both will work equally well. If on the other hand you have a car/bike accident the American standard will in theory give you better protection.

Personally, I would not recommend buying any helmet that is not approved to American standards in the US. If you race, in accordance with the rules, marshals could and should not let you ride. Besides, you are unfairly placing the manufacturer at risk of litigation; case in point Met who has made their position very clear. I believe that Met has even sent out a circular to its dealers saying that they are not to sell the helmets to residents of the US.

Personally I like the LAS helmets. They pass US, European and Australian standards, are reasonably light weight, don't give you a mushroom head and have truly functional ventilation. I still have to bang my head, so I can't comment on the protection.

soulspinner
06-20-2007, 12:19 PM
The Met helmets do not meet the USA safety standards and the manufacturer is not interested in making a specific model to pass them. When I spoke to them about possibly importing them a few years back, they said that they had no intention of selling in the US because of the risk of litigation and the cost of double models. They recalled the situation with Brancale helmets many years ago (Brancale went bankrupt for a bogus helmet lawsuit). One of the main selling points of their helmets in Europe is that they are lightweight, something they would lose if they were obliged to pass US standards. European standard helmets can pass with lighter weight foam and different straps and strap fixation. For your standard bicycle accident, both will work equally well. If on the other hand you have a car/bike accident the American standard will in theory give you better protection.

Personally, I would not recommend buying any helmet that is not approved to American standards in the US. If you race, in accordance with the rules, marshals could and should not let you ride. Besides, you are unfairly placing the manufacturer at risk of litigation; case in point Met who has made their position very clear. I believe that Met has even sent out a circular to its dealers saying that they are not to sell the helmets to residents of the US.

Personally I like the LAS helmets. They pass US, European and Australian standards, are reasonably light weight, don't give you a mushroom head and have truly functional ventilation. I still have to bang my head, so I can't comment on the protection.

Great info-didnt know they werent US standard. Ill look into LAS.

Polyglot
06-21-2007, 10:27 AM
Great info-didnt know they werent US standard. Ill look into LAS.

Please understand that the US standard is not necessarily better. It simply requires makers to respect different values. Personally, I would not have any problems accepting the European standard which I feel to be every bit as good as the American one in your average bike accident. I also find the lighter weight to offer a benefit. Race marshals can and should however block you from racing as the helmets do not meet the prescribed local standards.