PDA

View Full Version : Cycling movies?

lucas223
06-17-2004, 05:17 PM
Are there cycling genre movies to be rented / purchased for those nights that you are worn out after a long ride and you want to live vicariously through someone else's adventures who shares the passion for bicycle riding? Other sports have movies for their aficionados eg...

Basketball: "Hoosiers"
Motorcycles: "Wild One," "Easy Rider," etc.
Running: "Chariots of Fire"
Flying: Can't remember the movie name... Susan Pleshette flying her P-51
Boxing: "Rocky"
Golf: "Caddyshack"

:bike:

BumbleBeeDave
06-17-2004, 05:27 PM
The Bicycle Thief
Breaking Away
Peewee's Big Adventure
American Flyers

bcm119
06-17-2004, 05:36 PM
Its pathetic that Breaking Away is still the standard in bike movies. We need a better one, and soon! Disney just made that hockey movie, why not something about an underdog team at the Tour?

Bill Bove
06-17-2004, 05:44 PM
Breaking Away is one of the all time best "us against them" "coming of age" "teen angst" "bicyling" movies ever made. I watch it at least once a year and still get a laugh out certain scenes and a tear in my eye from others.

CUTTERS RULE!!!

bcm119
06-17-2004, 05:53 PM
You're right Bill, Breaking Away IS a great movie, but how long ago was it made- '77 or something? We need another good movie about cycling, preferably about modern cycling - you know, STI, carbon forks, EPO...

Ozz
06-17-2004, 05:59 PM
but the "Triplets of Belleville" is supposed to be hilarious....animated, but so what.

A (non-cycling) woman in the office next to mine has rented it twice, she enjoyed it that much.

Kevin
06-17-2004, 06:01 PM
cutters

Bill Bove
06-17-2004, 06:02 PM
Point taken. There was this guy once who came back from a life threating disease to win multiple tours, maybe they could work with that.

Ozz
06-17-2004, 06:05 PM
You're right Bill, Breaking Away IS a great movie, but how long ago was it made- '77 or something? We need another good movie about cycling, preferably about modern cycling - you know, STI, carbon forks, EPO...

You mean like the Tour de France meets "Drugstore Cowboy"?

Maybe make a it a dark comedy?

:cool:

djg
06-17-2004, 06:18 PM
Flyers, although lacking in certain very conspicuous regards, had several things going for it; namely, Rae Dawn Chong, a Kevin Costner character dying, and Randolph.

While we're slumming, surely somebody remembers the name of the Kevin Bacon stockbroker/bike messenger flick, no?

Bill Bove
06-17-2004, 06:22 PM
Quicksilver. Forgot about that one. Nelson Vails was an extra in it. The in the loft bike/ballet was erotic.

Ozz
06-17-2004, 06:23 PM
While we're slumming, surely somebody remembers the name of the Kevin Bacon stockbroker/bike messenger flick, no?

"Quicksilver"

victoryfactory
06-17-2004, 06:53 PM
I had a Masi before that punk in "Breaking Away", but after that movie
came out, I couldn't keep it. All those riders in Central Park looking at me
like I was some kind of copycat.
Ah, youth

VF, who has outgrown (physically and spiritually) the ability to be cool..

vaxn8r
06-17-2004, 07:28 PM
I'm a sports movie junkie. "I'm a cutter. You're not a cutter. I'm a cutter!" I still watch Breaking away and American Flyers at least once a year. My kids watched Breaking Away with me last week and loved it. American Flyers is pretty lame but I still love it. I love the photography as they catch those Specialized Allez' shifting ever so smoothly with their Suntour Superb Pro groupos. "Do we ever race? Yeah, we had a pretty good one last week. How'd I do? Nipped ya at the finish line. Bull $hit! Bull $hit!"

Other good sports movies:

Hockey: Miracle. This is a great sport movie. Nice action. Very good acting. True to the real story in many aspects.

Baseball: For Love of the Game. A bit to romantic at times but I love the flash backs and Costner's talking to himself on he mound is hilarious. Rookie is very good...probably better than the former.

Football: Radio Very nicely done. I highly recommned this if you haven't seen it. Remember the Titans, another good one.

Track and Field: Prefontaine It's a little bit low budget but fairly well done. Worth seeing if you haven't.

Horse Racing: Seabiscuit Not near as good as the book but not bad.

Dog racing: Good Will Hunting OK not much dog racing but I had to sneak it in there because it's such a good movie.

Dog Show: Best in ShowThis is an awesome movie...though your sense of humor needs to be a bit demented to really appreciate it.

Some sports flops: The cutting edge about a hockey player turned figure skater. Tin Cup I can not recommend this drivel. A few funny golf scenes in an otherwise terrible movie.

Hors Categorie: Gladiator. Russel Crow was perfect for that role.

Tom Robison
06-17-2004, 07:43 PM
"Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid"...Some of the moves Paul Newman did on the bike were outstanding. Not to mention, back then I thought Katherine Ross was "it".

Tom

Tom Byrnes
06-17-2004, 08:17 PM
I recently saw a 1992 made-for-television movie entitled "Tracks of Glory". That film (interestingly made in Australia) is about American Marshall "Major" Taylor, the 1899 world champion. For those who have not heard of Major Taylor, he was a Black cyclist who had to fight racial bigotry and prejudice to compete and excel in the sport of cycling.

The Seven Hills Wheelmen bicycle club of Worcester, MA renamed its annual 100-mile ride the Major Taylor Century in honor of the champion cyclist who lived there.

Well worth seeing.

:banana: :banana: :banana:

csb
06-17-2004, 08:44 PM
has a very funny scene involving a bicycle

Bill Bove
06-17-2004, 08:58 PM
there was a movie back in the '70's, I think it was called "The Apartment" or "The Key" it was a about a couple of what we would soon know as yuppies who lived in Manhatten and worked as stock brokers or something and raced in Central Park on weekends. Anybody remember it?

vaxn8r
06-17-2004, 11:00 PM
Seinfeld....

he always had a green Mountain Klein hanging on the wall.

coylifut
06-18-2004, 08:31 AM
A documentary of the 197? Paris Roubaix. Merckx, Martens, De Valmic, Moser...Do I need to say more. You can probably order it at your local library.

Onno
06-18-2004, 09:09 AM
I saw this movie last month. It is weird and very funny, and it is in some ways about cycling. It's mostly a satire, though, and one of its many targets involves showing professional cycling (set vaguely in mid-century) as mindless drudgery. The plot involves one such mindless drudge as he discovers the passion of cycling, his training, and his eventual kidnapping by gambling sharks. The image of "Champion" climbing the endless hills of the Tour de France is hilarious. I was unfortunately reminded of that image watching bits of the Giro (Sella's stage win) and it had the effect of undermining the grace of riders who rock excessively when they're climbing.

It's well worth renting, but a celebration of cycling it ain't.

Onno

bostondrunk
06-18-2004, 09:14 AM
the drunkman likes american flyers. HELL OF THE WEST BABY!!!!

jrisles
06-18-2004, 09:23 AM
Man

I remember when i was at my prime on my bicylce when American Flyers came out. I must have watched it about 3 or 4 times back then. Have seen it a couple of more times since then i might add. I remember a couple of scenes in it when the camera does a "close up" of the rear derauiller changing gear as they race down a back country road. (I can't believe the things that i got excited by back in those days) :)

But another interesting movie that will be "airing" shortly is one title "LA Confidential" sounds like a very interesting plot. I just wonder who will be casted for the Lead roles.

cheers
Jeff
Brisbane, Australia

M_A_Martin
06-18-2004, 09:43 AM
After watching the Triplets of Belleville is there anyone else out there who hears whistles when going up hills?

"TwEEt TwEEt TwEEt TwEEt TwEEt TwEEt!"

Russell
06-18-2004, 12:27 PM
Has anyone seen "The Hard Road"? It is a documentary about a US (I think) cycling team.

Other sports movies not mentioned:

On Any Sunday - cool stuff of trials and motocross

Slap Shot - funny movie with Paul Newman. Reminds me of the Rodney Dangerfield joke - "I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out."

Bill Bove
06-18-2004, 01:52 PM
On Any Sunday and Endless Summer are two fantastic movies that I can watch over and over again. Somebody should do a movie on the Cat. 2/3 crit circuit in the style of On Any Sunday.

High school wrestling got done right in Vision Quest and Kevin Costner gave us Bull Durham and Field Of Dreams, both very good.

Bruce H.
06-18-2004, 02:01 PM
Tom, now you have piqued my curiosity...Who was the "IT" girl from the early days of movies??? Was it Betty Boop, or one of the silent film stars? I cannot remember...(Sr. Moment)
Bruce H.

Kevan
06-18-2004, 02:21 PM
THE BICYCLE THIEF June 19, 21, 23
Vittorio De Sica, 1948; 93 min. NR. Italy, in Italian with subtitles. Kino.
"The most universally praised movie produced anywhere on Earth during the first decade after World War II." (Village Voice)
Best Foreign Film Oscar. This hauntingly beautiful depiction of a man and his son desperately searching for their stolen bicycle is one of the cinema's greatest works. De Sica examines postwar urban chaos in Italy simply, sincerely, and in great - and moving - detail. A neorealist classic.

25th wedding anniversary is on the 23rd; wonder if she'd be interested? :D

MartyE
06-18-2004, 02:35 PM
6 day racer with Joe E. Brown, 1934.
Showing tonight/Sat am on 4:45 Eastern time on
Turner classic Movies.

Funny that this came up on CR list today.

Marty

Bill Bove
06-18-2004, 02:37 PM
The '72 Olympic organisers commisioned eight prominent directors to make a short film on any subject of the games and released it as "Visions Of Eight" I don't remember who did the piece on Ron Hill,, the great British marathon runner but I think it is the best inside the head of the athlete thing ever.

Ozz
06-18-2004, 03:13 PM
Tom, now you have piqued my curiosity...Who was the "IT" girl from the early days of movies??? Was it Betty Boop, or one of the silent film stars? I cannot remember...(Sr. Moment)
Bruce H.

Theda Bara???

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0000847/bio

PanTerra
06-18-2004, 03:16 PM
Bruce H.

How about Mary Pickford (http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0681933/)?

BarryG
06-18-2004, 04:28 PM
Has anyone seen "The Hard Road"?

Pretty good documentary following the ins/outs, ups/downs of the Net Zero team through the 2001 domestic season - DVD worth ordering from www.thehardroad.com

Bruce H.
06-18-2004, 08:43 PM
PanTerra I do believe it was Mary Pickford! Thank you..now I can go watch "Breaking Away for the upteenth time and fall asleep!
Bruce H. :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Dekonick
06-18-2004, 09:32 PM
Charriots of fire... track.

ET - flying bikes! :bike:

Revenge of the nerds has the tricycle race...

AKIRA - well its motorcycles...but still cool!

Seven Samurai - well its just a kick arse flick. Japanese with subtitles

Makes you think... there really arent many flicks about bikes. Figures. At least Queen wroke a good song about bikes... :D

Flyers was a little ummm... corny. I still love it.

sheesh - there is even a flick for skateboarders (gleaming the cube) and surfing (North Shore)

Keep thinking about the Hors...wheels missing (getting final true and blue locktite - gotta love custom wheels!) on my stand... mad at me for not properly setting it up...mad at me for not riding it...mmmmm oh wait - its my wife who is mad at ME! :rolleyes:

Needs Help
06-19-2004, 12:33 AM
Point taken. There was this guy once who came back from a life threating disease to win multiple tours, maybe they could work with that.

Man, that's nothin! I've been working on a script about this cat who I have going on a hunting trip and getting shot in the heart, and let's see....yeah some of the pellets from the shotgun blast are inoperable. Next, let's see....despite those pellets rubbing and sanding away on this dude's heart, he trains for the Tour de France and enters the race. And...during the race, he does better than anyone believes possible, and he even has a shot at winning!, but by the last stage, the yellow jersey has an insurmountable lead over gunshot to the heart guy. :( Race over. :( heh.

But, wait...bad ending, so let's see...let's have the dude's wisened old mechanic invent all this futuristic cycling equipment and somehow the shotgun pellets give our cat the superhuman determination to ride the last stage...and, it's not realistic I know, but I'm gonna make the last stage a time trial up the Champs to be more dramatic....and the leader of the Tour, knowing he has won, rides the time trial sitting up with his long black..no! his long blond ponytail gently blowing in the breeze (maybe Brad Pitt for that part!). Yeaaah, and here's an idea! Let's make blond pony tail guy French. Then, as the clock on the Champs winds down, with the crowd roaring (pan to a beautiful French girl waiting for our American hero and the sun setting over the Arc de Fiat), shotgun blast to the heart guy beats his French rival by 4 secs to win the tour as blond pony tail guy collapses onto the cobbles whimpering allez, allez....allez.

The American contingent then envelops the new Tour champ, screaming speech, speech, speech! When he catches his breath and after he plants one on the lips of the dark haired French beauty who was waiting for him at the finish, he announces that the shot gun pellets have given him Lou Gehrig's disease and he has to retire from pro cycling. Everyone in the crowd weeps uncontrollably as shotgun blast to the heart guy rides off into the sunset after miraculously defeating his French rival and with the French girl on his handlebars. Credits roll.

Nahh...never mind. you stupid screenplay!

Elefantino
06-19-2004, 08:29 AM
Robin Williams said he'd like to make one about LA, or at least see one made. He envisioned Barry Pepper (Roger Maris in 61*) playing the title role.

If so, then who would play the other characters?

Kristin Armstrong: Jessica Simpson
Jan Ullrich: Brad Pitt mit der earring und der accent
Marco Pantani: Tom Cruise, shorn
Bob Roll: Billy Crystal

Dekonick
06-19-2004, 08:42 PM
Who would play Phill L. ?

Elefantino
06-19-2004, 11:04 PM
Jean-Marie LeBlanc: Jerry Lewis.

Dr. Doofus
06-20-2004, 11:52 AM
The "It" girl was Clara Bow...named for her short bob and huge eyes that, when paired with a cloche hat or other lid covering, gave her a hot-hottie androgenous kind of look...she was smokin in any era...however, like Fatty Arbuckle (but not nearly as kinky or disasterous) she had an "interesting" off-screen life, that included, allegedly, nighttime romps with the USC football team (including one Marion Cambell)...orally gifted but phonically challenged, she wasn't as prolific during the talkie era...
although public image burnout was the main culprit behind her career-crash....

Most sports movies suck. They're horrid movies. The Sports Illustrated "50 Best Sports Movies" list was chock-full of dramatic dreck.

The only bike movies worth watching:

The Bicycle Thief
The Triplets of Belleville
Breaking Away
Pee-Wee's Big Adventure
The Great Escape (one of the Brits walks a bike in one scene...I think it was the Cavendish character, or the Ashley-Pitt character who bites it in the railway station where he creates the diversion so the Big X can get away...but obviously I'm just working this one in under the "brit dork with a bike" excuse so I can watch that kick-ass motorcycle chase along the Swiss border scene one *more* time)

Best Bike Book:
The Third Policeman, by Flann O'Brien. Cop turns into a bicycle from riding it too much. Enough said.

Best Bike Movie Never Made:
Charles Bronson as Rik Van Looy...mud, blood, and mean monosyllables would never have been as mid-60s cool....

shinomaster
06-20-2004, 12:18 PM
my freind Bob was an extra in American flyers.