PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Info On Calgary

little.man
06-18-2007, 08:02 PM
I ended up with a last minute business trip to Calgary for the next 2 weeks. So, does anyone have any information on where I might rent a bike? Where to ride? What to ride? Mountain or road? A roadie, but would consider jeep trails, but probably not technical single track.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

BumpyintheBurgh
06-19-2007, 10:15 AM
If you're going to be in Calgary for awhile and you have some days off, check out Banff, just 80 miles west in the Canadian Rockies. Banff National Park is one of the most scenic areas of North America. The bike ride from Banff to Jasper, 200 miles on the Icefields Parkway, has some of the most breathtaking scenery anywhere in the world. Mostly following the river valleys with spectacular mountain and glaciers on both sides. There are some mountain passes and you cross the continental divide, so there will be some climbing but the ride down is thrilling.

Joel
06-19-2007, 02:48 PM
I used to work up there and did a lot of riding but it's been too many years to know about rentals. I'd vote road on this one if you have to choose.

The ride in Banff National Park is lovely beyond description. If you don't want to do the full Icefields Parkway, just take some of the side roads in the park.

Get an early - like dawn - there are so many animals roadside you'll have trouble concentrating on the ride. There is a great flat valley road just after the park entrance. I think you still have to take the Trans-Canada into the park, but check with the local folks to see.

There are also some road climbs up and over the divide are not that steep nor insanely high. Much easier than Colorado but still bring a jacket as it can get cool at the pass.

Big fun! Enjoy.

Joel

timto
06-19-2007, 04:55 PM
To get the most out of MTB you need some locals to take you - the singletrack is amazing...

But for road I'd recommend...

Kananaskis village to Highwood pass and back (nice roads, about 80km?, one big climb - beautiful scenery and little traffic - good shoulders. 1 hour west of Calgary)

Banff to Castle Junction and back on the 1A (increadible side road, slow traffic speeds, lots of animals, insane views, and a nice lunch spot to sit by a waterfall and eat lunch at ~ 60km, 1 1/2 hours west)

Lake Louise to Emerald Lake (2 hours west, starting at Lake Louise parking lot ride into British Columbia and down the kicking horse pass - lunch in a town called field underneith some towering rocky mountains, then proceed to emerald lake, sit in sun, have an ice cream and marvel at a lake as green as... emerald! - nice climb back. ~ 65 km)

I'm basing this on holiday funtime - with an emphasis on relaxing as much as biking. You can go harder or longer if you want to make it hammertime.

Not sure where to rent bikes though? My personal fav is Lake Louise to Emerald Lake. :) The parkway ride to Jasper is also amazing if you have some support - as you end up quite far from calgary.

timto

timto
06-19-2007, 05:02 PM
For some fun bike shops you can check out...

'bowcycle'
'Mountain equipment co-op' (not so much a shop with bikes but a shop with lots of bike acessories, clothing etc)

d_douglas
06-19-2007, 05:38 PM
I have not ridden much in Calgary, but I have a good friend who lives there. I have Emailed him to ask his recommendations, but will have to wait until tomorrow for a reply. Will post shop suggestions tomorrow if you can wait.

I would suggest going out with him, but he is a formerly fanatical cyclist turned to fanatical father expecting number three, so he would be an unlikely riding pardner!

More to come...

Darren

DarkStar
06-19-2007, 07:50 PM
Have a look at the University of Calgary, their outdoor center will rent out equipment for just about any activity you can think of. Here's a link.

http://www.ucalgaryrecreation.ca/pdf/goactive/2007-GoActive-Summer.pdf

A better link.

http://www.calgaryoutdoorcentre.ca/

little.man
06-20-2007, 12:35 PM
Thanks for all of the good information. Will make the trip much more enjoyable.
Darren - I can definitely wait. Look forward to your friend's input.

Mark

pdonk
06-20-2007, 01:41 PM
This is probably a good spot to start

http://www.thebikeshop.com/

The owner is the organizer of the Trans Rockies and a pretty good guy to go for pints with.

d_douglas
06-20-2007, 03:34 PM
No word from Mr. Ed yet, but i am counting on him. He may be swamped, but I expect that he will get back to me within another 24hrs.

By the way, there is some big money in Calgary and therefore, there are some fancy bike shops. I was there in February to see my buddy and he took me to a littel indy shop called 'Il Campione' - the same sheister owns the cheesy one in Vancouver, but this on is cool and was full of Indy Fabs, Sycips, Surlys etc. More of a hipster shop than a race shop, but nice stuff nevertheless.

More to come...

Darren

DarkStar
06-20-2007, 05:10 PM
No word from Mr. Ed yet, but i am counting on him. He may be swamped, but I expect that he will get back to me within another 24hrs.

By the way, there is some big money in Calgary and therefore, there are some fancy bike shops. I was there in February to see my buddy and he took me to a littel indy shop called 'Il Campione' - the same sheister owns the cheesy one in Vancouver, but this on is cool and was full of Indy Fabs, Sycips, Surlys etc. More of a hipster shop than a race shop, but nice stuff nevertheless.

More to come...

Darren
I'm very sorry to report that Campione is no longer owned by the man that made it the coolest bike shop that I've been to. Craig was recently bought out by the sheister that owns the Campione in Vancouver. No telling what will become of the shop now. Saw my first Perogotti, Moots and a stunning Nagasawa there. :crap: