PDA

View Full Version : Reynolds Attack Wheel questions

Lanny R. Levenson
06-18-2007, 04:43 PM
I'm considering a clincher set of Reynolds Attack wheels and was interested in hearing the boards thoughts. I'm presently riding Velocity Aeroheads with DT 240 hubs and have about 19000 miles on the wheels with only a couple spokes having broken. The wheels probably weigh about 1470 grams. I want light wheels for climbing and acceleration. The Atacks weigh 1500 grams so that fits the bill and there is some aero advantage due to the rim height of 31 mm vs. 21 mm. I think the Attacks are stiffer and that should help on acceleration and cornering. The carbon should decrease road shock but carbon doesn't break as well in wet weather. I'm not sure how much of a worry this really is.

Is there something else I should consider or are there other wheels options?

Lanny

Serotta PETE
06-18-2007, 04:58 PM
DT makes a wheel in the 1500 gram range. SPOKES has a set. They seen pretty nice....

Just an alternative.

PETE

Ozz
06-18-2007, 05:17 PM
...but carbon doesn't break as well ...
Freudian slip.... :rolleyes:

jbrainin
06-18-2007, 05:37 PM
A pair of Nimble Spiders (aluminum rims) wheels cost $520 to $550 (depending on whether for Shimano or Campy) and weigh less than 1400 grams (1370ish). I prefer them to my pair of Reynolds Cirro Mid-V clinchers (which are a step up from the Attacks). Check out www.nimble.net for more info.

Lanny R. Levenson
06-18-2007, 06:12 PM
break vs. brake

Freudian it surely is. But then, Phil Liggett always talks about the sound of expensive carbon breaking at the Tour.
I'm not a great descender. Typically on descents on the Blue Ridge, I start braking around 40 and am never one to run with the group around 50.

Lanny

bhungerford
06-19-2007, 07:08 AM
i've got Stratus DVs, and with the yellow Swiss Stop brake pads they stop pretty darn well, even in heavy rain, they are expensive, but better to spend 50 bucks on pads then put your face into a car or something...just my opinion

Lanny R. Levenson
06-19-2007, 08:00 AM
I rode some Zipp 303's with the regular Campy pads and they weren't fun on damp roads. I would get the proper brake pads with the wheels if I get the Attacks.

It's my hope the wheels would be stiffer and more aero than my everyday wheels and not pay a weight penalty. If only I were stronger and not attempting to buy speed.

bhungerford
06-19-2007, 08:41 AM
again, i haven't had time on the Attacks, but their Stratus DVs are very stiff and light wheels, and at least feel faster. and although they are stiffer, because mine are tubular the ride is still pretty smooth. just get the correct pads and i think you'd be happy with them

Lanny R. Levenson
06-19-2007, 09:11 AM
I rode a set of Stratus tubulars. The tubulars were a real nice ride. I would worry about using something like them for everyday wheels. Getting a flat on the road would be a PITA. I know I could use a sealant but given none of the group rides tubulars (except for racing crits or TT), my luck would be a flat way out in the country and trying to give my wife directions when I don't know the road names.

bhungerford
06-19-2007, 09:25 AM
hahaha, i'm in the same boat, like the stratus tubbie ride, but am just waiting for the day when i have to call to get picked up, i'm real careful what i'm riding through, so i'm looking at getting some nice clinchers for my new CDA, thinking of just sticking with handbuilts, as they can be just as light (or lighter) and repaired anyplace, just don't have that 'bling' factor....if you get the Attacks let me know how they are

RPS
06-19-2007, 09:39 AM
......snipped.......I'm not a great descender. Typically on descents on the Blue Ridge, I start braking around 40 and am never one to run with the group around 50.Lanny, if you climb better than descend, have you thought about using sturdier wheels instead of lighter ones?

“Buying speed” as you mention by saving a little weight is often overrated. Given a choice, I’d take a slight weight penalty if it instills confidence on descends.

malcolm
06-19-2007, 11:36 AM
Nimble fly's are in the $1000 to $1200 range for a set. Just the rear is about 550 for campy. Great wheels though.

swoop
06-19-2007, 12:20 PM
ive been on dv46c's all season. they were supposed to be race only wheels buti like them so much that i train on them.
they feel great and are durable enough for every day.. but i think they aren't a wheel for the clydesdale type... even though i don't think of them as being light wheels. overall, they are the best wheel i've had the pleasure of riding.

the attack is supposed to be their pricee point wheel to take-on ksyriums... i haven't used them.. but i hear the trick with them is to install a better bearing in the hub than what comes stock....

enjoy!