PDA

View Full Version : Rode to the Dauphine finale on Sunday

BoulderGeek
06-18-2007, 11:13 AM
Here are a few pics from Sunday's ride to the Dauphiné in Annecy. I rode from Chambéry, 56 miles, three cols, maybe 6000 feet of climbing (haven't hooked up the Garmin yet).

Broke a spoke on the cobbles in Vieux Annecy, and it rained like a mad bastid, so I took the balais train home (after a few beers anyway).

Bummer for Levi. That flyer looked so promising. In a nod to the pure sportsmanship of the schmenges, 30,000 people watching the diamondvision screen at the finish line all applauded when Levi got back on the bike.

Just got back from the VeloLand shop (getting the spoke fixed on the crappy FSA wheels I brought, wishing they were the Ksyriums). At the shop, I met up with 10 Aussies in their 40s to 60s where are here to ride for two weeks. Had some nice chat in English, and swapped Colorado, Serotta and French riding stories (not that I really know anything about the latter two).

William
06-18-2007, 11:17 AM
That's cool and all......but where in the heck are the 19-20 something Icelandic girls?!?!?! :crap: :confused: :butt:

Beautiful! Keep the reports coming. :beer:

How fast were you going on the decents with those hairpins?

William

victoryfactory
06-18-2007, 11:31 AM
G*eat shots!
Looks like a te**ific place to *ide.
thanks for the inspi*ation

VF

So**y, but I busted my "R's" this weekend... nyuk nyuk

BoulderGeek
06-18-2007, 11:36 AM
That's cool and all......but where in the heck are the 19-20 something Icelandic girls?!?!?! :crap: :confused: :butt:

I'm sorry, that must have been a typo. The Icelandic girls in my class are all 17! Therefore, I'm not allowed to comment, look or take their pictures and post them. Heck, on of them told me today that I'm old at 40 (on Sunday) as her father is 41! Ouch!

Beautiful! Keep the reports coming. :beer:

How fast were you going on the decents with those hairpins?

William

You know, I didn't fit a computer to this bike before I shipped it. It was my TT/triathlon bike last year, and I only used it with GPS.

Judging from my own comfort level and history in Colorado, I usually reel it in around 42MPH. The turns I took at 25-30, I'd guess. Definitely felt like 40 on my alpine snowboard. Way, way fun, pure rhythm, no one around.

Except, on the Grand Revard, it was Porsche Sunday, and probably 30 Porsches went rocketing up and town the twisties. One interesting thing I noted was that they separated into model hierarchy, with the nwere Type 996s all arrayed in a line. Then, the Type 993s, then the early-90s Carreras, followed by the 911s. Super cool, and trés cher over here.

Invariably, I get passed by fitter, leaner Frenchmen on these cols. But, it usually turns into a good conversation, and pushes me to wick it up a notch. I did pass some 70 year olds and housewives, however, who were all out riding in the mountains on a Sunday. Watch out, septugenarians, I'll show you some fat boy kick in my 39/32! :D

EDIT: The GPS doesn't lie. I had to install the software on my Powerbook and download from the GPS.

Max speed for this ride: 39.4. That seems to be about the max with most of my noodling rides at home, too. I do have some 45MPH descents in the history. But, here, on unknown roads, far from ambulances, I'm not in any need to prove how fast I can fly down or off of a mountain.

Interesting how one's internal clock does inflate the numbers, however. I was dead on with elevation. Total climb: 6071 feet.

I'd like to see the distancfe and climb numbers double this summer. Galibier, I'm talking to you.

soulspinner
06-18-2007, 11:42 AM
I was so bummed when Levi fell. I have a feeling Bruyneel is keeping his best 4 the tour. Never been a Disco fan except this year Id love 2 see Levi ride the tour of his life, have no positive tests, and piss off mr Pound! :p

hybridbellbaske
06-18-2007, 10:28 PM
Great pictures and great stories. I really enjoy them. It looks like you are having a fabulous time- keep it up!

William
06-19-2007, 05:24 AM
I'm sorry, that must have been a typo. The Icelandic girls in my class are all 17! Therefore, I'm not allowed to comment, look or take their pictures and post them. Heck, on of them told me today that I'm old at 40 (on Sunday) as her father is 41! Ouch!

http://www.dougquick.com/nbc_SNL_radner.jpg

Oh, well, ~never mind~.....

;)

You know, I didn't fit a computer to this bike before I shipped it. It was my TT/triathlon bike last year, and I only used it with GPS.

Judging from my own comfort level and history in Colorado, I usually reel it in around 42MPH. The turns I took at 25-30, I'd guess. Definitely felt like 40 on my alpine snowboard. Way, way fun, pure rhythm, no one around.

Except, on the Grand Revard, it was Porsche Sunday, and probably 30 Porsches went rocketing up and town the twisties. One interesting thing I noted was that they separated into model hierarchy, with the nwere Type 996s all arrayed in a line. Then, the Type 993s, then the early-90s Carreras, followed by the 911s. Super cool, and trés cher over here.

Invariably, I get passed by fitter, leaner Frenchmen on these cols. But, it usually turns into a good conversation, and pushes me to wick it up a notch. I did pass some 70 year olds and housewives, however, who were all out riding in the mountains on a Sunday. Watch out, septugenarians, I'll show you some fat boy kick in my 39/32! :D

EDIT: The GPS doesn't lie. I had to install the software on my Powerbook and download from the GPS.

Max speed for this ride: 39.4. That seems to be about the max with most of my noodling rides at home, too. I do have some 45MPH descents in the history. But, here, on unknown roads, far from ambulances, I'm not in any need to prove how fast I can fly down or off of a mountain.

Interesting how one's internal clock does inflate the numbers, however. I was dead on with elevation. Total climb: 6071 feet.

I'd like to see the distancfe and climb numbers double this summer. Galibier, I'm talking to you

The Porsche's were shooting up the mountain with you on it? That could get hairy. I remember summer on Skyline in Portland. A windy road that run along a ridge that looks out over the Willamette Valley/Columbia River area. Guys on their sport bikes would rocket up and down that road. I had a number of close calls with guys ripping around corner practically touch knees on the ground.

Good call on the speed-O-meter, no need to push the limit...esp when help isn't close.

Thanks for sharing!

William

stevep
06-19-2007, 05:31 AM
great shots geek.
enjoy yrself man.
trip of a lifetime.
s