PDA

View Full Version : Your two favorite 3-4 rides out of Ithaca, NY

ashwinearl
06-18-2007, 10:52 AM
This is a follow-on post from my original Finger Lakes riding request here: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=29690&highlight=finger+lakes

We've decided to base our two day trip out of downtown Ithaca, NY.

I've look at routeslip.com and found several rides out of Ithaca but need some help narrowing it down to two 3-4hr loops. We are experienced, fit cyclist from hilly country.

Please suggest your favorite 3-4hr routes in the Ithaca region. From advice given, I'll be ordering a detailed map of the area.

thanks

soulspinner
06-18-2007, 11:46 AM
Ithica is very challenging terrain. Beautiful too. Havent been there since I was young and fitter, but its a blast.

97CSI
06-18-2007, 12:29 PM
Am also headed to Ithaca to ride. The third week of August. I did a google search for bicycle clubs in the area. Got one that was very helpful. Pointed out various rides, with cue-sheets, on their website. Of course, I can't lay my hands on it right now, so you'll need to do your own google search. Gives us the option of riding with the locals (nothing beats local knowledge) or going out with cue-sheets for our own rides.

Edit: Finding the info wasn't that difficult. http://www.flcycling.org/newsletter/2004_05/8bikeart.shtml Just send an e-mail to a couple of their listed officers and someone will respond. I spoke with Dave Ruppert.

Mo' betta edit: Just noticed you list yourself as a wannabe MTB racer. They have officers for both road and MTB riding. Go for it.

Hardlyrob
06-18-2007, 04:31 PM
you kind of have to ride the lake. From downtown go to Cass Park, and keep going on route 89 north to the top of the lake - then route 20 east across the end, and 90 south through Aurora. Total loop is 88 miles, and not all that hilly compared to a lot of the other riding, as you are basically along the lake, not climbing in and out of the valleys. The scenery is specatacular.

The FLCC mentioned above will certainly have the route details. They used to do a race / tour of the lake every fall. The only time I raced against Davis Phinney - he beat me (by about two hours).

If you want a real challenge, see if the FLCC has the Ringwood Road loop - really steep and long climbing to the North and east of Cornell. There were two versions a 22 mile and a 35 mile loop.

Cheers!

Rob (ex Ithacan)

stevep
06-18-2007, 04:37 PM
check out swans cycles while yr there. glenn is a racer for years.
might be able to hook up w/ some of the locals for soem rides. his shop is very unique..located in his house on top of a steep hill maybe 5 miles in the middle of nowhere...big time middle of nowhere. 39- freakin 25 to get to his house. nio wonder he can climb.
everyone knows glen.

the hills out there can be very steep. my 2 kids went to cornell and i did spend some time there... with a bike a few times...nice riding... farms, countryside, very pleasant.

Hardlyrob
06-18-2007, 05:03 PM
Glenn is a GREAT guy. When I raced for Cornell 20+ years ago, he was the coach. Swancycles has always been an interesting shop - a little of this, a little of that. Glenn even built my first custom frame in 1983 (serial number 5) after I trashed a Raleigh Professional. Raced it unpainted for the spring season because I didn't want to wait for paint.

Glenn also is a masters world champion time trialist from four or five years ago (maybe more). The man can motor! I remember Friday evening time trials by the FLCC, and Glenn turning in a 22:20 on a 10 mile not very flat course - Yikes!

Cheers!

Rob

RIHans
06-19-2007, 12:46 AM
Some years ago I lived in the Southern Tier...Owego in fact. Glenn Swan was strong then, and I'm sure still now. The best part, Glenn is tough bike rider, but a nice guy. He has a website...click on flcycling.org.

Glen's site is under local bike shops...Cycling in the finger lakes is soo nice...you will enjoy.
The best advice I can offer is to stay by the lake for flat/rolling rides. To see upstate...head uphill. You will be challenged, but rewarded...nice country, real nice!
I live in flat RI, but still take vacations in upstate NY to enjoy the Catskills, Hudson Valley...NY ain't all about NYC.
Enjoy...Hans

jemoryl
06-20-2007, 10:54 AM
Check out some of the rides at the FLCC website. I like the one called Cayuta Lake Plus: http://flcycling.org/flcc/touring/rides/maps/cayutaplus.htm . It is a short ride up to the starting point at Hayts Rd. and Rt. 96 from Ithaca. A similar ride is the one labeled Newfield-Odessa. As others have mentioned, there are also some good hills out around the eastern side of Cayuga, out towards Swan's shop.

stevep
06-20-2007, 12:41 PM
make sure that you hike in the tremain state forest through the gorge
also buttermilk falls has a great hike up one side and down the other.

Hardlyrob
06-20-2007, 09:05 PM
I grew up next to lower Treman St. Park - it is just off Rt. 13 south of Ithaca, by maybe 10 minutes. By all means go there and hike the gorges to the upper park - an absolutely spectacular hike of about 8 miles round trip. If you do it right, you can go up one side of the gorge and come down the other.

The other don't miss park is Toughannock (pronounced Tig- an- ock by the locals, just like the lake Key-uga not Kay-uga) on the west side of the lake - a beautiful park that juts into the lake on a river delta - then you hike up the stream to find a 300+ foot tall waterfall in the middle of nowhere - quite stunning. If you ride the lake loop, you go right through Toughannock - bring a lock, and hike up the gorge to the falls.

Treman, Buttermilk, Toughannock are all worth the trip by themselves - each was built by the CCC in the 1930's to keep people employed, and the stonework is something to marvel at.

Cheers!

Rob