PDA

View Full Version : Ot. Pastrami sandwich

shinomaster
06-18-2007, 12:24 AM
I know it looks kinda trashy but I ate simply tonight. It was as yummy (and expensive) as meat and bread and cheese can be. I sauted a fresh porcini, melted cambozola cheese over pastrami and served it on a foccacia...Yum.. What a waste of a good mushroom..
Orval may be the best beer I have ever gulped. :banana:
I want more..

toaster
06-18-2007, 12:49 AM
I like the computer in the middle of your dining table instead of the usual flower arrangement and candles.
:)

oracle
06-18-2007, 02:27 AM
hey

the meat looks like the the pink stuff in chinese fried rice.....

J.Greene
06-18-2007, 08:13 AM
I'm in day 6 of a stupid cleanse diet. I should not have opened this thred.

JG

grey poupon
06-18-2007, 08:51 AM
shino, how do you store bread like that. I like to pickup some at panera, but it will go bad within a day or so. not just foccacia, but any artisan bread that doesn't have preservatives. I don't buy this kind of bread anymore, because I won't eat it before it goes bad. they are selling more mini-loafs, baguettes, etc. so maybe they understand this.

michael white
06-18-2007, 09:21 AM
mmmm pastrami,

Katz's or the Carnegie. Better than most sex.

Bruce K
06-18-2007, 09:33 AM
Careful shino or pastrami might become the new tuna and you know where THAT thread got us!

:rolleyes: :beer: :banana:

BK

slwbutnofred
06-18-2007, 09:36 AM
shino, how do you store bread like that. I like to pickup some at panera, but it will go bad within a day or so. not just foccacia, but any artisan bread that doesn't have preservatives. I don't buy this kind of bread anymore, because I won't eat it before it goes bad. they are selling more mini-loafs, baguettes, etc. so maybe they understand this.

Just after you buy the loaf, cut it into portions to fit your wishes. Wrap each portion in good plastic wrap. Put all the wrapped portions in a freezer bag. When you want some of the bread, pull from freezer, remove wrap and put (ideally) in a toaster oven on "fan bake" or just a simple oven for 5 to 8 minutes. Let cool for about 10 minutes and voila, you'll have fresh bread.

A bit of work, but worth it when you're in the mood.

pdonk
06-18-2007, 10:51 AM
remove the cheese, add some home made saurkraut, a kosher brine dill pickle and a spot of mustard and it would be perfect.

shinomaster
06-18-2007, 12:00 PM
Just after you buy the loaf, cut it into portions to fit your wishes. Wrap each portion in good plastic wrap. Put all the wrapped portions in a freezer bag. When you want some of the bread, pull from freezer, remove wrap and put (ideally) in a toaster oven on "fan bake" or just a simple oven for 5 to 8 minutes. Let cool for about 10 minutes and voila, you'll have fresh bread.

A bit of work, but worth it when you're in the mood.

+1 on the freezer...works great... Oracle the pink stuff in fried rice are dry cured mouse thighs.

gt6267a
06-18-2007, 12:14 PM
there is nothing like pastrami from katz's. shino, what pastrami is that? anyone have recommendations for grocery store available pastrami that is not overly lean or does not suck?

Ozz
06-18-2007, 12:16 PM
remove the cheese, add some home made saurkraut, a kosher brine dill pickle and a spot of mustard and it would be perfect.
Sure it's not kosher, but I'm liking the foccacia, et al....However, it 'taint pastrami without horseradish. imho, :beer:

shinomaster
06-18-2007, 01:22 PM
there is nothing like pastrami from katz's. shino, what pastrami is that? anyone have recommendations for grocery store available pastrami that is not overly lean or does not suck?

I think I just read about Katz in the NY times last month? This is from a local company called Nieman Ranch. I'm no pastrami expert, but I liked it..

Bud_E
06-18-2007, 01:32 PM
there is nothing like pastrami from katz's.

http://www.langersdeli.com/

'nuff said.

SoCalSteve
06-18-2007, 01:56 PM

'nuff said.

Nothing better when it comes to pastrami...

'nuff said too.

Steve

sunninho
06-18-2007, 01:59 PM

'nuff said.

Ooooh, pastrami and chopped liver sandwich :banana:

Bart001
06-18-2007, 02:06 PM
Whether the pastrami is Kosher becomes academic once CHEESE is added to the sandwich!

Pastrami with cheese on focaccia -- pass the mayo ;)

shinomaster
06-18-2007, 03:08 PM
Whether the pastrami is Kosher becomes academic once CHEESE is added to the sandwich!

I'm not Jewish. That cheese was sublime. :banana:

97CSI
06-18-2007, 03:34 PM
Two that I've found to be as good as Katz and Carnegie are the NY Deli across Rt. 1/95 from the Quakerbridge Mall outside of Trenton and the Kibbutz in Cherry Hill. The Kibbutz is unusual in that they do their own meats. Too bad they didn't make a go of it in Ocean City. Now I have to drive 60 miles to get to them. And, where else can you get Black Cherry soda?

inGobwetrust
06-18-2007, 03:49 PM
Nice! I love Cambazola, never thought to use it that way.

djg
06-18-2007, 06:25 PM

Academic and historical. It was or was not, ere it saw edam. After that, not so much.

Ken Robb
06-18-2007, 06:26 PM
I don't remember the brand but the stuff sold at Costco is pretty good but maybe too lean fo0r some mavins.

big shanty
06-18-2007, 06:45 PM
*** is with open-faced house-cured pastrami in Portland? Went down for the day w/ my girfriend, and both places we ate (Wildwood & Higgins) were touting the open-faced house-cured pastrami.

Nothing like a corned beef sandwich and a potato knish at Katz's. :banana:

pe3046
06-18-2007, 08:26 PM
former la native stuck on the east coast missing pastrami at the hat.

rwsaunders
06-18-2007, 08:29 PM
It's been some time since the last Shino food spread. Perhaps a cookbook is in the works? "Shinomaster's Food for the Forum"?

Kevan
06-18-2007, 09:23 PM
a nice chewy rye, some favorable roast bif, and give or take a slop, 50/50 mayo mixed with hot horseradish.

Daa..amn!

goonster
06-18-2007, 09:50 PM
I have only two things to say:

1. Pastrami & cheese: ***? (This coming from a gentile with two dairy-craving genes)

2. The dollar bill placed conspicuously into the tip glass of the pastrami carver at Katz's, before he makes your sandwich, is the best money you will ever spend. :beer:

m_moses
06-19-2007, 12:01 AM
Your posts often make me hungry.

oracle
06-19-2007, 12:15 AM

i think that it is still kosh if it is a cheese from a non-cow source, yes?

p.s. pastrami is originally turkish, yes?

pp.s it really does look like the pink suff in fried rice.

shinomaster
06-19-2007, 01:27 AM
Oracle you know a lot of stuff...how did you get so smart?

pdonk
06-19-2007, 05:50 AM

I meant the pickle being kosher, kosher brines taste better, even if the meal becomes treif due to the cheese, kosher brines rule, especially homemade ones.

sc53
06-19-2007, 07:16 AM
Shino, absolutely ORVAL is the best beer I have ever tasted. $6 a bottle at Whole Foods around here, I often buy one or two for a very special treat. I once let my mother have a sip as well, but only a sip, then I poured her a Yuengling. :beer:

William
06-19-2007, 03:37 PM
...Orval may be the best beer I have ever gulped. :banana:
I want more..

So, you've piqued my curiosity there Shino-mon. Picked up a bottle this afternoon and will give it a try this evening. :beer:

It better not suck. :no:

;)

William

PS: Four and change at the local packy.

bozman
06-19-2007, 03:40 PM

'nuff said.

+1
It has been a few years but I remember that sandwich well.

For transplanted NYC area folk in Denver I recommend this one:

http://www.usmenuguide.com/delitech.html

Shapiro's in Indianapolis sure can "cut that meat," too.

keno
06-19-2007, 04:19 PM
mock cheese? Possibly, if kosher mock cheese (supervision and all that), but why not got whole hog and use mock pastrami as well, or even with mockless cheese? Better white bread and mayo with kosher pastrami.

BTW, shino, I'm pretty suspicious of curly pastrami myself. The real McCoy is flat, and Roumanian from a steam cabinet is what you really need if heartburn is your goal.

keno

Kevan
06-19-2007, 08:37 PM
So, you've piqued my curiosity there Shino-mon. Picked up a bottle this afternoon and will give it a try this evening. :beer:
It better not suck. :no:
;)

William
PS: Four and change at the local packy.

but it ain't better'n Duvel.

shinomaster
06-20-2007, 12:08 AM
mock cheese? Possibly, if kosher mock cheese (supervision and all that), but why not got whole hog and use mock pastrami as well, or even with mockless cheese? Better white bread and mayo with kosher pastrami.

BTW, shino, I'm pretty suspicious of curly pastrami myself. The real McCoy is flat, and Roumanian from a steam cabinet is what you really need if heartburn is your goal.

keno

It got curly when I heated it up..Willam, was is good?

RIHans
06-20-2007, 01:22 AM
I'm diggin' the foccachia, cheesy, pastrami, 2nd Ave Deli. You got it goin' on in your house... Any sides...?

shinomaster
06-20-2007, 02:03 AM
I'm diggin' the foccachia, cheesy, pastrami, 2nd Ave Deli. You got it goin' on in your house... Any sides...?

Yeah...beer...my colon wants fiber imho.

William
06-20-2007, 05:03 AM
It got curly when I heated it up..Willam, was is good?

Good call Shino! Very tasty. :beer:

but it ain't better'n Duvel.

Kevan, I would take your advice and try it.....if only I hadn't seen you happily sipping can after can of Bud Light through a straw at the cross Natz. My confidence in your Beer-O-pinion has been shaken.

:p

William ;)