PDA

View Full Version : Kool-Aid vs Gatorade

george
06-18-2007, 12:05 AM
I normally have a stocked supply of gatorade in my pantry. When I spot a sale I grab them by the case. The other day after a 12 mile long training run in 90 degree heat I was thirsty for gatorade after my run. I had none so I grabed a grape Kool-Aid envelope, 3/4 cups sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a two quart glass pither with water and ice. It tasted similar to my favorite gatorade flavor Fierce Grape I chugged the entire pither glass by glass...

I don't have a gatorade bottle to compare sugar and sodium amounts gatorade also has electrolites?

Seramount
06-18-2007, 09:40 AM
you consumed 3/4 C of white sugar in one sitting...?

how was the buzz?

RABikes2
06-18-2007, 10:09 AM
you consumed 3/4 C of white sugar in one sitting...? how was the buzz?
:p :p :p

benb
06-18-2007, 10:21 AM
Take the Kool-Aid, add the salt, maybe cut the sugar a little, and then dump an appropriate amount of Magnesium/Potassium in by opening up the little caplets and you'll have your own pretty good sports drink at very low cost.

I tried it a couple weekends ago with good results.

jthurow
06-18-2007, 10:28 AM
You can add a little Morton's salt substitute (http://www.mortonsalt.com/products/foodsalts/salt_sub.htm) for some potassium.

jimi

vaxn8r
06-18-2007, 02:42 PM
I'll just throw out a bit of caution on creating your own elctrolyte homebrews. You can actually kill yourself if you get your sodium too out of whack.

Just sayin..

scrooge
06-18-2007, 04:35 PM
Forget them both...get chocolate milk.

SoCalSteve
06-18-2007, 05:09 PM
Why bother???

Just buy this stuff and be done with it:

http://cranksports.com

Great company to do business with and they make a fine product as well.

Just sayin'

Steve

rwsaunders
06-18-2007, 08:37 PM
Do people besides Dave Thompson and lovestruck Astronauts still drink this?

markie
06-18-2007, 08:41 PM
I'll just throw out a bit of caution on creating your own elctrolyte homebrews. You can actually kill yourself if you get your sodium too out of whack.

Just sayin..

That is pretty unlikely. Normally people vomit first. Try drinking seawater and see what happens.

seanw
06-19-2007, 05:05 AM
second the choc. milk.

William
06-19-2007, 05:46 AM
Kool-aid is ok, just don't drink it with large groups of people. :no:

William

stevep
06-19-2007, 05:57 AM
. You can actually kill yourself if you get your sodium too out of whack.
Just sayin..

12 mile training run in heat...mebbe he wanted to kill himself.
what, bike broken?

Andreas
06-19-2007, 10:16 AM
I normally have a stocked supply of gatorade in my pantry. When I spot a sale I grab them by the case.

The hype regarding these sugar drinks is pathetic :crap: .

Quote from the abstract (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez) :
"Chocolate milk as a post-exercise recovery aid.

Karp JR, Johnston JD, Tecklenburg S, Mickleborough TD, Fly AD, Stager JM.

Dept of Kinesiology and Applied Health Science, Human Performance Laboratory, Indiana University, Bloomington 47405, USA.

Nine male, endurance-trained cyclists performed an interval workout followed by 4 h of recovery, and a subsequent endurance trial to exhaustion at 70% VO2max, on three separate days. Immediately following the first exercise bout and 2 h of recovery, subjects drank isovolumic amounts of chocolate milk, fluid replacement drink (FR), or carbohydrate replacement drink (CR), in a single-blind, randomized design. Carbohydrate content was equivalent for chocolate milk and CR. Time to exhaustion (TTE), average heart rate (HR), rating of perceived exertion (RPE), and total work (WT) for the endurance exercise were compared between trials. TTE and WT were significantly greater for chocolate milk and FR trials compared to CR trial. The results of this study suggest that chocolate milk is an effective recovery aid between two exhausting exercise bouts."

:banana: :beer:

benb
06-19-2007, 10:25 AM
Chocolate Milk is undoubtedly superior to Gatorade.

It has 2x the salt. (Good!)
It has More sugar.
It has 10x the Potassium (Excellent, actually enough for proper replenishment)
It has Magnesium (Not enough, but way better then none in gatorade)
It has Protein (which is always added to the stuff that's more expensive then gatorade)

Good luck keeping Chocolate milk from spoiling in a water bottle on a hot day. But if it's at the rest stop and you can tolerate dairy while riding go for it.

Something like Cytomax is closer to milk then gatorade.. just without the lactose and other stuff which makes plenty of people sick when exercising.

Gatorade is pretty much crap.. but it tastes good and it's cheap so it can certainly be a base for an electrolyte mix.

Andreas
06-19-2007, 10:37 AM
Chocolate Milk is undoubtedly superior to Gatorade.

Good luck keeping Chocolate milk from spoiling in a water bottle on a hot day. But if it's at the rest stop and you can tolerate dairy while riding go for it.

Something like Cytomax is closer to milk then gatorade.. just without the lactose and other stuff which makes plenty of people sick when exercising.

Gatorade is pretty much crap.. but it tastes good and it's cheap so it can certainly be a base for an electrolyte mix.

Agree with most of your post.
George was looking for a recovery / post exercise fluid, hence the mentioning of chocolate milk. I actually use chocolate soy milk since I don't consume dairy.

Gatorade is pretty much crap.. that sells really well.

but it tastes good YMMV. :no:

RPS
06-19-2007, 10:53 AM
The hype regarding these sugar drinks is pathetic :crap: .You may be completely correct, but are you sure we are not jumping from one hype to another? I have no idea, but would like to know how they can compare the effects of three types of drinks with only 9 people. I would also like to know if the study was funded by the milk industry -- not that I've become skeptical about food claims or anything like that. :rolleyes:

Ahneida Ride
06-19-2007, 05:16 PM
Kool-aid is ok, just don't drink it with large groups of people. :no:

William

Some how ..... I just knew Uncle William would say this .... :D