PDA

View Full Version : Wireless computers - VDO?

jwb96
06-16-2007, 05:54 AM
Looking to pick up another wireless computer with wireless cadence. Performance has a VDO on sale, much cheaper than the Cateye. They also have the Vetta I already have. The one thing I don't like about the Vetta is it doesn't auto-start and I always forget to start it back up. Has anyone tried a VDO? Impressions in general, if not specifically on the wireless?

Thanks,
Jim

CalfeeFly
06-16-2007, 02:23 PM
I have a VDO but the model with altitude instead of cadence. I love it. Plus it gives you the option of a stem mount (you need to buy one) and you can buy just a sending unit from the fork so you can mount it on two bikes. Mine has two bike settings.

VDO is known for top instruments. One person who saw mine was impressed as his Porsche had VDO instrumentation. They also use a frequency that is not interfered with much or at all.

A friend bought one and loves it as well. Neither of us have had a problem and they are easy to set up.

jemoryl
06-16-2007, 02:39 PM
I have a couple from the previous generation (basic wireless without cadence or HR, C15+, I believe) and they have worked well, although they get very mixed reviews from some. The batteries seem to need replacement more than my Cateye and when they go it is without any warning. And the transmission range for the wireless cuts off quite quickly, but shouldn't be a problem for the average application.

While they play up the German angle, mine are made in Hong Kong.

thwart
06-16-2007, 02:45 PM
I have a VDO but the model with altitude instead of cadence.
I have the same one... works very, very well. I'd buy another. Gives total altitude for ride, highest point, and maximum and average grade. Useful info to have. Temperature is there too, as well as all the usual stuff.

Not the one if you need cadence however.

thejen12
06-16-2007, 03:44 PM
I would do a google search for reviews. Check out www.mtbr.com, for example.

Let us know if you do get it, I'd like to hear more about it.

Jenn