PDA

View Full Version : Need Wheel Advice

bhungerford
06-15-2007, 08:01 AM
So my new CDA is ordered and i'm debating on wheels, i'm not exactly a light weight (185) but would like some nice wheels, i'm riding Reynolds Stratus DVs or CK/Open Pro/DT Revo (both are great) depending on the bike of the day....So here are some options i'm thinking of, in no particular order:

1. American Classic 420s, silver

2. DA hubs, velocity aeroheads(white) or open pros (silver), spokes?

3. CK, aeroheads or open pros, spokes?

4. ????

i'm leaning towards clinchers just for carrying less to fix a flat while training, but not dead seat on them....

any suggestions are appreciated, thanks guys/girls!

Serotta PETE
06-15-2007, 08:19 AM
I would suggest the Open Pro and Dura Ace hubs...can not go wrong with them. I know SMILEY does not like them but the Mavic Krysium SLs are very nice and bomb proof.

I just had some Campy Record HUBS, OPEN PRO, and DT SPOKES built up and they are also very nice.

Good luck with your new bike.

PETE

SoCalSteve
06-15-2007, 10:26 AM
So my new CDA is ordered and i'm debating on wheels, i'm not exactly a light weight (185) but would like some nice wheels, i'm riding Reynolds Stratus DVs or CK/Open Pro/DT Revo (both are great) depending on the bike of the day....So here are some options i'm thinking of, in no particular order:

1. American Classic 420s, silver

2. DA hubs, velocity aeroheads(white) or open pros (silver), spokes?
3. CK, aeroheads or open pros, spokes?

4. ????

i'm leaning towards clinchers just for carrying less to fix a flat while training, but not dead seat on them....

As Pete said, you cannot go wrong with this combo....

Performance Cycle usually has them on sale as well. Ask BigMan who got a set (with a 20% coupon) for like $240.00...Now thats an amazing price!

Good luck with your new bike!

Steve

Andreas
06-15-2007, 10:38 AM
4. ????

What kind of riding do you do?
Alone in the backwoods, doing 200+ mile rides?
Club rides in the paceline?
Racing CatX?
How are the roads? Frost heaves or smooth as...

With more info you will get better advice.

bhungerford
06-15-2007, 11:03 AM
i'm in Cincinnati, so roads are pretty decent, hilly (for the midwest) generally do 2-3 hour rides (50-ish miles) at least 4 times a week...not racing at the moment...maybe soon, starting to up the milage. i like to ride the hills around here as fast as i can go (which isn't all that fast :p )....

thanks for the advice, i do like open pros, but am thinking of trying something new/different....

davids
06-15-2007, 11:31 AM
My suggestion is handbuilts. Mike Garcia (Odds & Endos) or our own Ergott or Jeremy will work with you to create a set that meets your precise needs, including weight, riding style, roads, and esthetics.

And they'll be cheaper than factory wheels, too!

bhungerford
06-15-2007, 11:47 AM
thanks davids, definitely handbuilts, i threw in the AC 420s, cause i like how those rims look, not sure about those hubs though...give them a shot, and any problems get them laced up to some proper hubs...

and either a fellow forumite, or a local LBS, had a guy here build a singlespeed wheelset for my brother, have to talk to him how they're holding up...

it is pretty great to be able to get advice and help from around the country so easily :)

feta99
06-15-2007, 11:55 AM
Anyone own a pair of Williams Cycling wheels?

I used to ride hand built wheels and then my LBS convinced me to try a pair of Campy Eurus wheels. I'm fairly heavy, 184lbs, and I was worried about the weight, but I love the Eurus wheels. I don't think I would bother with hand built wheels again.

Bradford
06-15-2007, 12:28 PM
I don't think I would bother with hand built wheels again.
That seems like a curious word choice to me. What do you see as the "bother" when buying hand built wheels?

To me, getting a wheel designed with your riding style and size in mind, made by a person you can actually talk to, and can be easily repaired without going to a shop or sending the wheels to the manufacturer seems to be less "bother" than one size fits all factory wheels.

I'm having some wheels built up right now by Jeremy at Alchemy. We talked about the right choice for me and he has called me twice since to discuss progress. In addition, he went way out of his way to satisfy what can only be described as an irrational request on my part to make black rims silver; on his own, he visited an anodizer and had the rims un-anodized back to a cool dull silver.

I learned a long time ago not to mess with wheels. Nothing ruins a good day more than wheel trouble. I say call up one of the experts, tell him your style and size, and then take his advice and let him build up some wheels. One thing that is consistent is that these wheel folks know what they are doing and are great guys to deal with. Jeremy is the man, I've heard great things about Garcia, and Ergott is pretty cool even if he is a Yankees fan. Peter White is a bit cranky but he builds fantastic wheels.

Not that there is anything wrong with factory wheels, plenty of people love them. It just seems like this is one of the easy ways to get exactly what you need.

SoCalSteve
06-15-2007, 12:37 PM
That seems like a curious word choice to me. What do you see as the "bother" when buying hand built wheels?

To me, getting a wheel designed with your riding style and size in mind, made by a person you can actually talk to, and can be easily repaired without going to a shop or sending the wheels to the manufacturer seems to be less "bother" than one size fits all factory wheels.

I'm having some wheels built up right now by Jeremy at Alchemy. We talked about the right choice for me and he has called me twice since to discuss progress. In addition, he went way out of his way to satisfy what can only be described as an irrational request on my part to make black rims silver; on his own, he visited an anodizer and had the rims un-anodized back to a cool dull silver.

I learned a long time ago not to mess with wheels. Nothing ruins a good day more than wheel trouble. I say call up one of the experts, tell him your style and size, and then take his advice and let him build up some wheels. One thing that is consistent is that these wheel folks know what they are doing and are great guys to deal with. Jeremy is the man, I've heard great things about Garcia, and Ergott is pretty cool even if he is a Yankees fan. Peter White is a bit cranky but he builds fantastic wheels.

Not that there is anything wrong with factory wheels, plenty of people love them. It just seems like this is one of the easy ways to get exactly what you need.

+1 on all of this!

bhungerford
06-15-2007, 12:43 PM
ok, so i like the idea of handbuilts....so for my 185, 50-ish mile rides 4 times a week, on hilly routes, what are the recommendations? oh, i'm getting 10sp DA since all my other bikes are DA (well except the merckx with super record)...

the CDA is going to be green/white, with the silver DA and nice silver bar/stem/seatpost to match...

how are the Velocity rims? comparison to Open Pros (cause i know i like those) and what about something a bit aero?

ok this is a lot of questions....i'll stop for now

SoCalSteve
06-15-2007, 12:59 PM
ok, so i like the idea of handbuilts....so for my 185, 50-ish mile rides 4 times a week, on hilly routes, what are the recommendations? oh, i'm getting 10sp DA since all my other bikes are DA (well except the merckx with super record)...

the CDA is going to be green/white, with the silver DA and nice silver bar/stem/seatpost to match...

how are the Velocity rims? comparison to Open Pros (cause i know i like those) and what about something a bit aero?

Mavic makes the CXP-33 which is the "aero" version of the Open Pro's...

D/A 7800 hubs laced to CXP-33's is a bomb proof combo...I'd recommend 32 3 cross lacing with db 14/15 spokes.....Of course, talk to your wheel builder for his-her recommendations.

Good luck!

Steve

davids
06-15-2007, 12:59 PM

Ask the experts - Mike at Odds & Endos, Ergott, Jeremy at Alchemy. We'll just confuse you!

dtandy
06-15-2007, 01:39 PM
I'm riding a set of handbuilt (by me) wheels with a DT Swiss 240 rear hub (32 hole) and front AmClassic Micro hub (32 hole). I used Wheelsmith XL14 spokes, DT Swiss RR1.1 rims and brass nipples. They are light (around 1500 gms), solid riding and easy to maintain. I have probably 4k miles on mine and they have given me zero problems. As a reference point,l I weigh 170 lbs and do a lot of climbing on the short (1.25 mile-ish) but steep (11%+ grades) hills where I live. Oh, the roads are pretty good as well since we rarely see below freezing temps.

If you are somewhat mechanically inclined and like doing your own work, build up a set yourself. It's a great learning experience and you'll get to know your equipment that much better. Plus, it is a very satisfying feeling to build up a set and have them work well. It is actually pretty hard to screw up a set if you take your time and ensure that the spokes are evenly tensioned. A tensiometer is a good investment for this project.

I bought a lot of my stuff from Mike at Odds and Endos and he was always very willing to give me advice as well as a good price.

Dave

tv_vt
06-15-2007, 02:08 PM
Instead of the db 14/15's up front, how about some Revolutions? Or if you really want to have some fun, how about Sapim CX-Rays? Handbuilt wheels, but trick to boot.

T

bhungerford
06-15-2007, 02:24 PM
i have built up a few wheelsets, they've held up fine...

another question, does anyone know how well the Chris King Green matches Serotta's Metallic Kelly Green?

Andreas
06-16-2007, 06:51 AM
i have built up a few wheelsets, they've held up fine...

another question, does anyone know how well the Chris King Green matches Serotta's Metallic Kelly Green?

Not sure building a few wheelsets, that "held up fine", is a anywhere close to the ten thousands of wheels by some of the forum members, or MG or PJW (who btw give a lifelong warranty on his wheels).

Anyway given your weight and style of riding I would venture that you don't need aero rims or special spokes. The benefit of those you will only come to see if averaging more than 20mph (the faster, the more benefit).

What about Phil Wood hubs, R1.1 rims built by an expert?

Larry
06-16-2007, 07:28 AM
Anyone own a pair of Williams Cycling wheels?

I used to ride hand built wheels and then my LBS convinced me to try a pair of Campy Eurus wheels. I'm fairly heavy, 184lbs, and I was worried about the weight, but I love the Eurus wheels. I don't think I would bother with hand built wheels again.

Yes.....Campy Eurus. Really dependable, look good, and quality ride.
Strong! Better than Ksyrium......I think.
Shimano or Campy compatible.

-dustin
06-16-2007, 08:29 AM
hows about some White Industries H1s with Revos (Comps DS rear) to Ambrosio Excellence rims? at my shop, that setup would be right around $600, incl labor.