PDA

View Full Version : Summmah time and the livin's sweaty

Too Tall
06-17-2004, 08:20 AM
http://www.getunnelvision.com/ordering.htm

Who wants to be a guinea pig with me? For the first time in my life sweat is just killin' my eyes. I HATE the wife's terry cotton sweatbands...to thick and the bulk makes me sweat more!

The above costs too much and is just the sort of gizmo you'd see on HSN. I'm in :)

How do you keep sweat out of your eyes without resorting to swabbing with a bandana or such?

Kevan
06-17-2004, 08:34 AM
Dew rag....boy....dew rag!

Aim for one of those soft coolmax fiber types which have a absorbent band built in. While sweat occasionally trickles down the temples my eyes are generally protected. Basically, I'm safe but for super hilly rides on humid days which turn my head into a sprinkler head. Good ol’ D.C. can be brutally hot and humid so it's possible that the only true solution for you would be to fashion a rain gutter on your eyewear rim. ;)

When I get home, I hand wash the dew rag and use it's soft fabric to clean my eyewear at the same time.

paulh
06-17-2004, 09:20 AM
Here is one raingutter for your head. www.sweatshoot.com. No personal experience with them, though. I think there are others that were in some of the bike catalogs the last few years.

I've pretty much turned into a sprinkler head lately. The debate in the group is whether any type of headband or Pantani-esque dew rag would keep you warmer than leaving the vents in your expensive helmets free and clear.

zap
06-17-2004, 10:00 AM
We had a guy who rode with us regularly that had one of those rain gutters. They work.

But pity the souls that are aft in the slip stream. Yuuuuuuuuuk.

The only real solution that works for me.

Riding without a helmet.

William
06-17-2004, 03:18 PM
I sweat a lot when the heats on. To keep the sweat out of my eyes I just wear a traditional cycling cap under my helmet. I shred the top of it to allow heat out/cool air in. The visor functions to wick the moisture away from my forehead and let it evaporate. It also keeps the sun out of my eyes (and makes easier to see when its pouring down). So far it hasn't mattered how hot it has been, I don't get sweat in my eyes. I might pass out and fall down on the ground...but no sweat in the eyes.

Washable, cheap and effective. :)

William

MartyE
06-17-2004, 03:46 PM
coolmax dewrag works well for me.
a non terry headband (non elastic type) is ok for short rides.

marty

Ken Robb
06-17-2004, 04:57 PM
truth is: I sweat a lot. When I lived in Alabama we had soccer practice from 7-9pm and my uniforms were as wet afterward as if I had dunked them in a tub. I'm sure I sweat as much in San Diego but the relative humidity is so low here that it evaporates before I start to drip.

BumbleBeeDave
06-17-2004, 05:07 PM
. . . who sweats a fair amount, I have some experience with this. I use Headsweats brand doorags which have a sweatband built in. They work pretty well. I also have a number of non-Headsweat motorcycle doo-rags that I just put on over one of those terrycloth elastic headbands. Even then ,I often take an extra with me to change out mid-ride.

BBDave

Sandy
06-17-2004, 05:16 PM
We Ottrott riders do not sweat. We would never ever think about doing that. We perspire, in an elegant sort of a way.

Sweatless Snobbish Superior Serotta Sandy

Don
06-17-2004, 05:21 PM
Try a Halo Headband. They retail for about $13-$14. They really do work and the channel does move the sweat away from the eyes. If it works here in Florida, it should work anywhere.

ericmurphy
06-17-2004, 06:02 PM
1. Legend riders do not sweat. They perspire.

2. Legend riders do not perspire.

Too Tall
06-17-2004, 06:15 PM
Bambi, LOVE yah but dang you have big pores!

Good suggestion to shred a cycling cap. I'll give one to my poodle and have him do his worst. No seriously, that is a good one. I'll give it a go.

Sandy
06-17-2004, 06:37 PM
Bambi Loves Everyone!

Love,

Bambi

Too Tall
06-23-2004, 06:18 AM
(See below) For everyone who is in the sweaty pig/buckets n' buckets/corrosive category there's good news. That goofy plastic gutter sweatband works! (http://www.getunnelvision.com/ordering.htm)

The sweatband works way better than anything else I checked out. Thanks BeeMan, the topless headsweat is my second fav.

As Betty Rubble said "Chaaaarrrrge it!".

Enjoy.
======================================
I glow 0 0%
Like the dewy mists of eye-r-lind 2 8.00%
Sweat like a pig 8 32.00%
Buckets and Buckets 4 16.00%
It's corrosive! 7 28.00%
Pardon me? What's sweat? 4 16.00%

Needs Help
06-23-2004, 10:23 AM
I cut long strips out of an old coolmax jersey maybe 2 inches wide, twist them up, and then tie the ends together with two overhand knots (to get the strips long enough I generally have to cut a strip shaped like a 'U' out of the jersey). The coolmax fabric is elastic, and when twisted the headbands are thin enough to fit between my helmet and my eyebrows, and they do a good job of keeping the sweat out of my eyes. :) Without the headband, it feels like a river of acid is flowing into my poor eyes. :(

zap
06-23-2004, 10:30 AM
TOOOOOOOOTAAAAAAALLLLLLLL

Now I will have to stay in front of you all the time to avoid your torrential sweat streaming back and down at me.