PDA

View Full Version : Here we go AGAIN . . .

BumbleBeeDave
06-14-2007, 08:44 AM
From this morning's VeloNews.com . . . Looks like the same old story starting again. As if pro cycling doesn't already have enough troubles. No proof offered, no "official" word. Just insinuation and unsubstantiated accusation. I hope they sold plenty of papers . . .

BBD

=======================================

Gazzetta: Three Giro stage winners 'non-negative'
By Agence France Presse
This report filed June 14, 2007

Traces of drugs were found in the urine samples taken from three stage winners at this year's Giro d'Italia, the Italian daily Gazzetta dello Sport reported on Thursday.

The paper said sprinter Alessandro Petacchi (Milram) and climber Leonardo Piepoli (Saunier Duval) tested positive for Salbutamol, a substance primarily used to treat asthma, and Piepoli's teammate Iban Mayo showed signs of an elevated testosterone level.

Salbutamol is a banned substance, but riders with asthma may use it to certain levels if they possess a medical certificate.

Basque television channel EITB confirmed that Mayo, who was tested following his victory on the 19th stage to Terme di Comano, was one of the three riders under suspicion.

Petacchi, who won the Milan-San Remo classic in 2005 and four stages at the Tour De France in 2003, rides for Milram while Mayo and Piepoli ride for Saunier Duval. The Italian sprinter also won five stages on this year's Giro.

According to the Gazzetta, neither team was informed of the positive tests by world cycling's governing body, the UCI.

Saunier team manager Mauro Gianetti was left confused about the fate of his two cyclists.

"I called the UCI and they said to me 'If you haven't heard any news, it's because there isn't any.' This is absurd," he said.

Piepoli reacted to the news prior to the start of the Dauphiné Libéré's fourth stage in France, saying: "It's true that I take Salbutamol to treat my allergy.

"Mauro (Gianetti) asked me how much I had taken. But I don't know how many puffs I took. I take it each time I need it. It depends on the seasons."

Gazzetta said further examination of the three urine samples were being carried out at a laboratory in Rome, and that they may be taken to Barcelona, Spain for more tests.

In his prime as part of the Basque Euskaltel team, the 29-year-old Mayo was one of the few riders capable of challenging the dominance of Lance Armstrong and Jan Ullrich on the Tour de France mountain stages.

He won the stage to Alpe d'Huez in 2003, and won the Dauphiné in 2004.