PDA

View Full Version : Non-negative.

Xyzzy
06-14-2007, 05:22 AM
Non-negative is a silly euphemism.

From cyclingnews.com:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2007/jun07/jun14news

Wednesday, it was reported that there were three non-negative doping tests from the Giro d'Italia. Allegedly, two Italians tested positive for the presence of Salbutamol and one Spanish rider's test showed elevated testosterone levels. Eurosport has reported the alleged identity of the three riders: Italians Alessandro Petacchi (Milram) and Leonardo Piepoli (Saunier Duval) and Spaniard Iban Mayo (Saunier Duval).
http://www.mersenneforum.org/images/smilies/extra/yawn.gif

KJMUNC
06-14-2007, 08:49 AM
Interesting how the media uses "non-negative" in some cases with certain riders and jumps all the way to "positive" at the first hint of a questionable test with others. :rolleyes:

flydhest
06-14-2007, 02:23 PM
depending on the context, "non negative" isn't necessarily a euphemism. In statistics, we talk all the time about "rejecting" and "failing to reject" hypotheses. It's is important that there is not an "accept" category. "Failing to reject" is not a euphemism for "accepting." It is a precise statement.

Grant McLean
06-14-2007, 02:48 PM
It's not creative language, and it's not politics.

"non-negative" is the term used to describe the "A" sample test result.
It's only a "positive" after it is confirmed by the "B" sample test with the
same result.

g

regularguy412
06-14-2007, 02:49 PM
depending on the context, "non negative" isn't necessarily a euphemism. In statistics, we talk all the time about "rejecting" and "failing to reject" hypotheses. It's is important that there is not an "accept" category. "Failing to reject" is not a euphemism for "accepting." It is a precise statement.

Agreed -- 'non-negative' is a carefully chosen term, so as not to imply a judgement of guilt or innocence regarding doping. It merely implies suspicion of perceived abnormalities.

However, I also agree with KJ. The use of this type of term instead of 'positive test' does smack of an attempt at preferential treatment (at least in the press) for 'non-Americans'.

Mike in AR

paczki
06-14-2007, 03:16 PM
Ibn Mayo was just exonerated, and the other two are likely to be exonerated quickly as well. They all have documented issues which could explain the results (allowed asthma medication and past confirmed strange testosterone levels). I think its appropriate to call them non-negative in these cases.

Grant McLean
06-14-2007, 03:21 PM
Ibn Mayo was just exonerated, and the other two are likely to be exonerated quickly as well. They all have documented issues which could explain the results (allowed asthma medication and past confirmed strange testosterone levels). I think its appropriate to call them non-negative in these cases.

I think about 1/2 the field has the medical certificates to allow that...
Seems like a lot of asthma going around! :)

g

paczki
06-14-2007, 03:36 PM
True enough.