PDA

View Full Version : Cutting down a Carbon Steerer Tube

tomwd3
06-13-2007, 11:28 AM
I'm looking to cut down a carbon steerer on one of my bikes. (Yes I'm sure :) )
Has anyone got advice on the preferred tool/blade. I'm assuming hacksaw, but I thouht there might be a special blade to do the best job.
Thanks in advance!
Tom

rePhil
06-13-2007, 11:38 AM
I use the park Guide and a new 32 tooth hacksaw. Some folks like rotating the fork just before it goes all the way through, but I never bother.Take your time, don't force it. Just clean up the ends with fine sandpaper.
One more thing. Measure twice.

RPS
06-13-2007, 11:41 AM
The instructions with one of my carbon forks recommended using an abrasive blade, which I bought at the local hardware store.

If you go that way, make sure the blade fits through whatever guide you use to make a square cut since the blade can be a little thicker.

tomwd3
06-13-2007, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the advice. I didn't know Park made a cutting guide. I'll see if I can get one at the LBS.
You can be sure I'll be measuring MORE than twice!

weaponsgrade
06-13-2007, 01:12 PM
I used a carbide hacksaw blade for my Ouzo Pro with a pipe clamp to act as a guide. It came out fine.

SoCalSteve
06-13-2007, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the advice. I didn't know Park made a cutting guide. I'll see if I can get one at the LBS.
You can be sure I'll be measuring MORE than twice!

Its an excellent tool, very accurate and easy to use.

A 32 tooth NEW blade and then finish with fine sandpaper. I've cut down many an Ouzo Pro with this combo, always with great success.

Good luck,

Steve

BdaGhisallo
06-13-2007, 02:26 PM
Yep, get the Park guide and the new 32T blade and it's easy. Let the blade do all the work though. You don't need to put a whole lot of force on the saw, just merely pass it back and forth and let the blade do the work.

R2D2
06-13-2007, 03:48 PM
FWIW
When/if you get the Park guide, there's a piece at the end of the adjustment screw that is used to clamp the steerer in place. This clamp piece is attached to the screw with a set screw. There's an access hole in the guide body to get to the set screw. Make sure this set screw is tight. I only mention this 'cause mine was loose. If loose it can make a dimple/mark in the steerer when the clamp is tightened.

slowgoing
06-13-2007, 04:12 PM
I just clamp an old stem on and cut along the top of it. It scratches up the top face of the stem but I could care less about that.