PDA

View Full Version : Travel coffee mug

Bud
06-13-2007, 08:14 AM
Perhaps a bit OT, but not really.

I'm in the market for a new travel mug for the morning coffee. Most of what I see out there doesn't impress me for a number of reasons. What I'd really like is one that fits neatly into a bottle cage on the bike. Other criteria include a good quality o-ring sealed lid (I prefer screw-on rather than press-on lids for security) and a nice capacity (~ 500 ml). Anybody seen such a mug? If not, what is your favorite one and why?

Thanks-

tch
06-13-2007, 09:05 AM
but my wife just bought be a new travel mug at Staples, of all places. The top screws on and then there's a button on the top that definitively closes the drink hole. I've turned it upside-down and no leaks. This is a great innovation as far as I'm concerned because I've found other cups splooshing hot liquid back up through the drink hole when bumped.

jthurow
06-13-2007, 09:50 AM
I've heard good things about the Oxo Liquiseal mugs, though I haven't tried one myself. Bicycle Coffee Systems (http://www.bicyclecoffeesystems.com/) has lots of info on the subject of coffee and bikes. They don't mention too many mugs but the Oxo does make their list.

jimi

Bud
06-13-2007, 02:21 PM
Jimi-

thansk for the link. That site has a wealth of info. I have the COntigo Extreme mug that is listed on there, but it is getting pretty old. I didn't know that one was available without a handle, which would facilitate putting the mug into a bottle cage. I may try that or the Oxo one.

ANyone else have a mug they like?

Steelhead
06-13-2007, 02:58 PM
check out Soma for a coffee on the bike set up.

http://www.somafab.com

woolly
06-13-2007, 03:38 PM
Velo-Orange - http://www.velo-orange.com/lecote.html

Looks like a slightly different version of the old Ibis Hot Unit, but it fits in a standard bottle cage.

Karin Kirk
06-13-2007, 05:11 PM
After major searching, I have found the travel mug that I love. I had many of the same requirements as you do Bud. It's a Nissan (the Thermos company) with no handle and a nifty two-piece lid. The bottom part of the lid contains the sippy-part that you drink from. The top part of the lid is threaded and closes it completely such that you can put it upside-down in your backpack with no worries. I think it also came with a tea strainer mesh insert too.

It fits in a bike bottle cage and is more or less similar in size to a small water bottle. The capacity is around 300 ml, but that's a total guess. It might be more than that.

Good luck in your quest for the perfect travel mug!

Bud
06-13-2007, 06:31 PM
Karin-

that mug that you mention looks cool. I think it's the JMW-500 that's on the site Jimi linked above? It's for sale online at this place called sweetmarias (linked from the above site too). Did you find yours in a store? I'd like to look at one before buying online, if possible. Oh yeah- does it fit in a bottle cage alright?

Man, I love my coffee...

Karin Kirk
06-13-2007, 06:45 PM
Here it is:
http://thermos.smartermall.com/product.asp?sku=2944130

It fits in a bottle cage, but not tightly, so it would rattle around a bunch and perhaps pop out if you went down a rugged downhill or something.

I found mine at a local coffee shop. I'm with you, I like to check things out in person rather than buying online.

johnnyk
06-13-2007, 06:51 PM
I use a Polar waterbottle. Fill it with hot water to warm it up, leave it for a short time, dump it out, then put the coffee in, works great. Stays hot for a long time.

BURCH
06-14-2007, 08:57 AM
I love when someone asks about coffee on this forum. I get to check out all kinds of new products revolving around JAVA!

jthurow
06-14-2007, 09:06 AM
Karin-

that mug that you mention looks cool. I think it's the JMW-500 that's on the site Jimi linked above? It's for sale online at this place called sweetmarias (linked from the above site too). Did you find yours in a store? I'd like to look at one before buying online, if possible. Oh yeah- does it fit in a bottle cage alright?

Man, I love my coffee...

Bud, If you can't find one locally, I've purchased from Sweet Marias in the past without any problems. No connection and all that...

jimi