PDA

View Full Version : Vittoria Pit Stop Help

Mud
06-13-2007, 07:26 AM
I have been aware that I have had to add more air to my front Corsa CX tubular. Since the other 3 (2 bikes) lose about 1/2 over night I figured I had a slow leak. I filled the tires at about 5:00PM for a 5:45 ride. When we came down to go the tire was soft.

No worries, I had invested in Pit Stop. I had read in some of the threads that people carry it instead of a spare. I followed the directions and it was a mess, plus it did not seal the leak (looks like a nail hole). After cleaning up I switched ato another front wheel and rode.

Sorry about the detail but I want to be clear and don't want a debate over tubulars and clinchers. I like what I ride.

If you have used this stuff how did it work. I am not a believer but have 2 more cans.

As a side bar, I have been adjusting tire pressure to fine the right combo for me where the bike feels right. I like 130# in the rear and 125# in the front with these tires (I weigh 150#).

I changed to a wheel that had a Conti Sprinter. I usually run the Sprinters at a max of 115#R,110#F. At 125# in the front my hands hurt after 20 miles. I did not find any difference in speed, cornering and other perceived "feelings" but I was surprised by the difference in road feel.

Another tubular observation now that I have bored the clincher crew to death. My wife had an annoying tick coming from her front wheel. It did not bother her but drove me a little nuts (it does not take very much). She told me it happened in the same spot. There was a thread a while back about a "squish" noise that TT rode to the rescue on. After eliminating other possibilities I pulled the tire, reglued it and the noise is gone. Must have missed a spot-pilot error.

Lastly, if any one is still reading this, I have purchased ceramics for her Zipps and BB, and my BB. I should have them installed this week. I have been told that it will make a difference at higher speeds. We will find out if there is a difference at low speeds. :)

Thanks for your indulgence and hopefully someone has the true clue on Pit Stop. :banana:

93legendti
06-13-2007, 07:47 AM
[QUOTE=Mud]I have been aware that I have had to add more air to my front Corsa CX tubular. Since the other 3 (2 bikes) lose about 1/2 over night I figured I had a slow leak. I filled the tires at about 5:00PM for a 5:45 ride. When we came down to go the tire was soft.

No worries, I had invested in Pit Stop. I had read in some of the threads that people carry it instead of a spare. I followed the directions and it was a mess, plus it did not seal the leak (looks like a nail hole). After cleaning up I switched ato another front wheel and rode...QUOTE]

I tried one last year with a clincher flat and had the same result. The lbs guys told me they had tried it with clinchers and it worked, so maybe I used it wrong...

JGardner
06-13-2007, 10:51 AM
I have been aware that I have had to add more air to my front Corsa CX tubular. Since the other 3 (2 bikes) lose about 1/2 over night I figured I had a slow leak. I filled the tires at about 5:00PM for a 5:45 ride. When we came down to go the tire was soft.

No worries, I had invested in Pit Stop. I had read in some of the threads that people carry it instead of a spare. I followed the directions and it was a mess, plus it did not seal the leak (looks like a nail hole). After cleaning up I switched ato another front wheel and rode.

If you have used this stuff how did it work. I am not a believer but have 2 more cans.

Thanks for your indulgence and hopefully someone has the true clue on Pit Stop. :banana:

Mud, let me try to answer your question on Pit Stop. Yes, it works, but I consider it a "get me home solution" and not a permanent fix. Better you repair that tubular proper, but I digress.

Just like you, I was about to start my training ride and had just pumped my tires. Just before I started I noticed that my rear tire was soft. I discovered that I had a small glass sliver puncture on my rear CX after only 400 miles...dayum! Here's my chance to try this Pit Stop stuff. After I removed the glass sliver I applied the Pit Stop. First, make sure you apply with the stem in the 12 O'Clock position (I had less mess), second and more importantly ride IMMEDIATELY after applying. This allows the sealant to circulate inside the tube and the sealant to work in on the puncture. When you ride five to ten tire revolutions you might even (I did) hear the phit, phit, phit of the leak till it seals. Pit Stop is supposed to give you 110 psi when injected into the tube, but I found that you lose some of that as the sealant works to close the puncture. I stopped by a LBS along the way and topped off my tire and was able to complete a 100k training ride with no worries. I now carry two cans (one for the front and one for the rear tire) of the stuff and one CO2 cartridge on training rides. I would use the CO2 to top off the tire. Hope this helps :beer:

CalfeeFly
06-13-2007, 01:05 PM
I used it with success. I had to use it and then later add the air as it seems to deflate faster than usual. (But not in 45 minutes.)

There is a limit to the size of the hole it will fill. Possibly your nail hole it too large. Mine was over a year ago and the tire still holds air fine. It was one of those oh crap rides since the Vittoria tire was brand new. It was a small hole since the tire was not flat until the the next day.

Good luck.

terrytnt
06-13-2007, 01:08 PM
This is extremely helpful info on Pit Stop for tubulars.

I carry a can for those really long rides but have not had the need to apply. Great tip Mud about rotating the tire quickly after inflating (to seal the puncture) AND inflating with additional CO2 if necessary.

Fortunately like most tubular riders, we rarely experience flats, but it's always good to be prepared (and it will eventually happen if you put in the miles). Think I'll continue to carry the single can of PS and use my buddies CO2 if I need to add a little air. [Just hate carrying all that stuff] ;)

Mud
06-13-2007, 01:51 PM
I think. Valve was right. I spun the tire immediately but perhaps I should have ridden it.

I am a belt and suspenders guy. I carry a Carb One pump which actually works pretty well and some CO2 plus a tire but it would have been so easy if it had worked right away. Hopefully I will not have to try the other 2 cans. I will get the tire fixed. I really like how the bike rides with the Corsa CXs.

:)

LegendRider
06-13-2007, 02:48 PM
Slightly off topic, but, don't let Pit Stop sit in a hot car...trust me...

wooly
06-14-2007, 12:20 PM
I tried pit stop for the first time this morning and MAN it made a mess. I had the valve at 12 o'clock and the tire filled with the stuff but it was also spewing foam all over the rim, handlebars and my face! Any trick to applying this stuff correctly?

BTW - I had a slow leak and rode the wheel immediately after application. It seemed to work but I'll check tonight to see if there was an improvement.

Thanks!

jbrainin
06-14-2007, 01:26 PM
The first time I used Pitstop was an unmitigated, messy disaster.

The second time I used it was totally different, with no mess and no problems. It worked just as it was supposed to and sufficed to inflate the tire sufficiently that I could ride the five miles back to my car. In the following days, I found that it sealed the tire so well that I was able to continue riding in as if it had never flatted.

For me, the trick to the correct use of Pitstop was to be very firm in pressing the "applicator" over the valve and being certain to continue to hold the container firmly while it did its thing.

PBWrench
06-14-2007, 09:08 PM
Mud - Thanks for this thread. I have 2 untried PS on my workbench. They are now for sale. Cheap!

ThasFACE
06-14-2007, 09:40 PM
I had a slow leak and rode the wheel immediately after application.

Oh man, don't mangle those lightweights.

jbrainin
06-14-2007, 09:56 PM
Oh man, don't mangle those lightweights.

FWIW, PS worked great when used on my LW Ventoux. No mess whatsoever on the wheels or on my hands (or anywhere else.)

Jack Brunk
06-14-2007, 10:05 PM
I've used it a half dozen times and it has worked perfect each and every time. Key is to lightly shake the contents and keep the can connected to the valve for about 90 seconds.

ThasFACE
06-15-2007, 02:37 PM
FWIW, PS worked great when used on my LW Ventoux. No mess whatsoever on the wheels or on my hands (or anywhere else.)

I didn't mean to suggest that ps would mess up lightweights. I was merely stating in general that I hope that wooly's lightweights stay pristine since I have declared myself first in line if he should ever decide to sell them.

wooly
06-15-2007, 04:30 PM
ThasFace - That will happen when Mr. Brunk sells me his Ventoux's! :D

jbrainin
06-15-2007, 09:31 PM
I didn't mean to suggest that ps would mess up lightweights. I was merely stating in general that I hope that wooly's lightweights stay pristine since I have declared myself first in line if he should ever decide to sell them.

I suspect that part of the reason for the successful application of Pit Stop was a healthy concern for the wheels. That and the prior malfunction I experienced with the first use of the stuff.

But even if I had made a mess, it's really easy to wipe away the excess without leaving any trace of the mess.