PDA

View Full Version : getting gouged on a used bike part?

d_douglas
06-12-2007, 03:08 PM
FIRST OFF: my apologies to the person discussed below if he is part of this forum.

As some of you might have noticed, I am looking for a set of Mavic Wishbone MTB shifters. I tried a vintage MTB site and lo and behold, someone said they had three NOS sets in his collection. He asked what the shifters were for and if I had anything to trade.

He wasn't interested in any of my goodies, so he said he would unload a set for $150. Yikes.

I was hoping that he would say $25, but thought he might say $65 and feared he might say $100, but $159 seems ridiculous for a set of 7 speed shifters. Doesn't it?

I realize that the shifters are worth what someone will pay for them, so he can charge whatever he wants if i (or someone else) is willing to pay $150, but I feel like a dying cow in the blistering sun with a vulture circling over top of me. Scarcity drives price, right all you economists out there?

All criticisms aside, I feel like this forum has a group of generous and reasonable people in it who sell things at reasonable prices. There are some who are more generous than others, but it seems to me that few people are out to get top dollar for their used gear here.

Can someone confirm to me that these shifters are not worth $150? I look cool old things, but that seems a bit extortionary, don't it? I won't pay that amount, but felt like it was insulting that one cycling enthusiast to another cannot make a reasonable offer.

No, my teats will not ruin the keyboard and no, I was not bullied in grade 5, but I feel like someone is being a bit too capitalist, non?

Thoughts?

gt6267a
06-12-2007, 03:11 PM
what did they go for new?

Ginger
06-12-2007, 03:19 PM
You're not getting gouged if you don't buy it.

What price has your ebay/internet search turned up for prices in the last year?

d_douglas
06-12-2007, 03:27 PM
Yes, I know, but dammit, I want them!! I simply think he is going for the throat. And to top it all off, I have dealt with him before and he seems like a nice guy! I sold him a bike last year and it was complete coincidence that he responded to my request for the shifters. I think I gave him a good deal on the bike (?) Maybe this is bad karma coming bad to eat away at my conscience...?

As for what they were worth new, they are Mavic, so they were exhorbitantly priced, I am sure. $100? Maybe $150?

Is there a way to check Ebay archives for Mavic 825 wishbone shifters?

Curious.

DD

Ginger
06-12-2007, 03:45 PM
Yes, do a completed item search...

the other option would be to use the Wayback machine to figure out the original price.

But keep in mind, some of these niche things? they gain value.

Fat Chance Yo Eddy

Oddly enough, the Specialized Rockhopper (the early version is a great solid frame that takes big hits from big riders, hence brings an obnoxious price at times if someone is looking for one.)

I was going to be tougher...but I was trying to be nice!
Like fly says: No likee, no buyee!

He probably is a nice guy. But does that mean that he should sell his stuff for less than it's worth?

justinf
06-12-2007, 03:51 PM
Value is what a buyer or buyers is willing to pay. Simple as that.

flydhest
06-12-2007, 04:08 PM
As Ginger quotes my favorite economist, "no likey, no buyee."

Seriously, though, I think it just sorta sucks to have someone know they have you and try to extract all of the consumer surplus (as we call it in the business) from you, but that's the way it goes. Scarcity alone doesn't drive price. Toads with tatoos are fairly rare, I would imagine, but I don't think they'd bring a high price. It's the coincidence of scarcity with with a willingness to buy.

If it makes you feel any better (which I can't imagine it will) there are lots of people who would love to unload their bicycles to find that they can only get pennies on the dollar for them. In some cases, the buyer hurts, in others, the seller does.

DRZRM
06-12-2007, 04:23 PM
It's also worth noting that those vintage guys make up a very serious international club. I recently saw a pair of Syncros cranks go for almost 2x what they were priced for when new on ebay, and they were not cheap to begin with. And a clean Yo Eddie fork went for over $400 when they were priced at about $250 new when they made them. The MTB market has become collectable much faster than road bikes, though those Campy Delta brakes hold their own, no?

Anyway, good luck finding what you want. You might want to identify one of his must have/Rosebud items (likely some blue/purple annodized lightweight doodad), and see if you can't have any luck finding that and swaping it. I recently picked up an obscure sized Ti Syncros post from a buyer who would not sell it out the the US and swapped it to a vintage guy in the UK for something I needed.

Or you could just suck it up and pick up some Shimano shifters, that shouldn't be so hard.

Ken Robb
06-12-2007, 04:34 PM
well you're going to have to choose between having a "rider" or a collector bike. If you want a rider Rivendell sells friction thumbies for about $13 a pair. If you want it "period correct" or "as built" you are competing with other collectors for a dwindling supply of NOS parts.

If you "have to" have index shifting how about mounting some DT 7 spd shifters on Pauls thumbie adapters?

Michael Maddox
06-12-2007, 07:33 PM
I should point out that the prices of Mavic components, particularly the more-uncommon ones, demand a premium in the market. The Mavic mountain group is definitely among the more uncommon items one finds, particularly in NOS condition.

In purchasing the components for my Vitus 979, the 631 crankset was going for about $240 in NOS condition, and it's a comparatively common piece compared to the mountain group, if I recall.

It doesn't sound too out of line for someone to ask such a price for the 835 shifters. If they're really NOS and 17 years old, it's not out of line at all. Besides, you can always counter with a lower price and work out a deal.

Take this for what it's worth...not much. I'm a roadie, so my knowledge of Mavic mountain components is minimal at best. I'm just relating what I see in the market.

stevep
06-12-2007, 07:40 PM
if you want it buy it and quit crying.

J.Greene
06-12-2007, 07:46 PM
They are worth what they are worth. $150 for new shifters does not seem crazy. So, is the issue that you want this guy to give you the bro deal and he won't?

My pals and I have a rule. we sell each other our accumulated stuff at our cost. But I suspect I don't get some things offered to me because my pals need to do better than cost. I understand and have done it too.

lastly, as I have been told "this aint the red cross".

JG

fishbolish
06-12-2007, 07:49 PM
sold a nos pulley cage(long) for a mavic derailleur on ebay recently,the auction went to 110$, the rarer mavic stuff is going for high prices(in mint condition).mavic front derailleurs that I have sold went for 40$ & up,depends on how bad you need THAT part(is it the last piece you need to finish your bike project?).

rwsaunders
06-12-2007, 10:32 PM
Buy all three sets for a discount and sell off the other two. You will have cornered the market, unless the government steps in to divest you of your monopoly.

d_douglas
06-13-2007, 03:18 AM
OK, the tough love routine was necessary, but it hurt.

Do I want the damned shifters or not? Yes.

Am I willing to pay $150? No.

I can find shifters that work better for $30 without problem, so I need to decide whether it is a sufficiently high priority for me.

I need to work something out with this guy, who I believe is quite nice, and just capitalising on the market. Who can blame him.

I once sold a set of those cheap plastic campy bar end plugs on Ebay and was shocked and embarassed that someone paid $32 for them when I think I paid about $2. I was evil as well.

Anyhoo, you guys were of no help.

J.Greene
06-13-2007, 06:01 AM

awesome, That's what we're here for.

JG

sspielman
06-13-2007, 06:20 AM
OK, the tough love routine was necessary, but it hurt.

Do I want the damned shifters or not? Yes.

Am I willing to pay $150? No.

I can find shifters that work better for $30 without problem, so I need to decide whether it is a sufficiently high priority for me.

I need to work something out with this guy, who I believe is quite nice, and just capitalising on the market. Who can blame him.

I once sold a set of those cheap plastic campy bar end plugs on Ebay and was shocked and embarassed that someone paid $32 for them when I think I paid about $2. I was evil as well.

I suggest doing a search on EBAY-Albania....the rules of capitalism don't apply there...

djg
06-13-2007, 06:24 AM

Yeah, but the advice was free, wasn't it?

d_douglas
06-13-2007, 06:35 AM
Yeah, but the advice was free, wasn't it?

True - you have a point. Tough love does come for free....

DD

PS Now I wonder if this person is a lurker on this forum and is either laughing his head off or hating my guts for being a baby. I should have thought of that before complaining...

J.Greene
06-13-2007, 06:48 AM
My buddy asked me to handle the liquidation of his bike collection if he were to pass away unexpectedly. He has some very rare and sought after bikes. He chose me because he knew that I would get the best prices possible on behalf of his wife, and not just give all of our buds the bro deal in a clearence sale.

You have every right to question the seller, but it's clear to me your put off because the seller put his needs before yours. I'm not so sure what is wrong with that.

JG

Ahneida Ride
06-13-2007, 06:56 AM

I know. When I had the Pizza Box thrown at me from a Peekup truck,

They asked .... did it have Anchovies ?

I hope you got a cola too.

look at the bright side. you are paying him in frns. fed reserve notes.
they devalue 5-10% a year. You will have recieved an item that will maintains it's value.

I paid 130 frn for NOS Campy Road Pedals. But I wanted em.
THey are now over 150 frn. Up 20 frn in less then 2 years.

dawgie
06-13-2007, 08:36 AM
I have another option -- make him an offer at the most you are willing to pay. That's how I approach eBay auctions. I don't get in bidding wars. I just bid the most I am willing to pay, and if I win the auction, great. If not, no big deal.

If he doesn't like your price, go with something less expensive. However, he might just decided to part with the shifters if your offer is reasonable.

d_douglas
06-13-2007, 08:58 AM
Yes, Mr. Dawg. I agree - rather than squealing like a baby, I will just offer $100 (that is my max) and see what he says. If he says, 'no way', then I calmly walk away.

No fault to him for getting top dollar - everyone has their motivations. I have been on the giving and receiving ends of good deals on this website and appreciate this approach.

At some point, passing things along a 'bro' prices doesn't always appeal when you other financial priorities...

Over and out.

gt6267a
06-13-2007, 09:07 AM
I asked about the new price to find out how you are approaching the purchase. It seems like you are thinking about this as a normal supply NOS or used part acquisition … not subject to the craziness of vintage / supply shortage dynamics. It seems like you want to play in the vintage arena but are not willing to play in vintage arena. Maybe decide if this is about function or “the part”. If it’s about function, pick up the $30 shifters and move along. If it’s about “the part” pony up the cabbage (or negotiate knowing the number will still end up stupid high) and enjoy your esoterica.

Ginger
06-13-2007, 09:11 AM
Yes, Mr. Dawg. I agree - rather than squealing like a baby, I will just offer $100 (that is my max) and see what he says. If he says, 'no way', then I calmly walk away.

No fault to him for getting top dollar - everyone has their motivations. I have been on the giving and receiving ends of good deals on this website and appreciate this approach.

At some point, passing things along a 'bro' prices doesn't always appeal when you other financial priorities...

Over and out.

I predict that you''ll put a set of inexpensive shifters on your bike and a few months down the road you'll come across some of the shifters you're looking for in an old parts bin at the bike shop for $30.

That's the thing.

Any time I get all wrapped up in some thingamabob, I find it's best to step away. Sooner or later, through friends or happenstance, it appears. Either that or I bite the bullet and decide that the price isn't too high after all. You might not find it NOW, but you will find it.

That's just how that works.

but ya gotta let us know if you got the deal on the shifters ;)

Len J
06-13-2007, 09:46 AM
I predict that you''ll put a set of inexpensive shifters on your bike and a few months down the road you'll come across some of the shifters you're looking for in an old parts bin at the bike shop for $30.

That's the thing.

Any time I get all wrapped up in some thingamabob, I find it's best to step away. Sooner or later, through friends or happenstance, it appears. Either that or I bite the bullet and decide that the price isn't too high after all. You might not find it NOW, but you will find it.

That's just how that works.

but ya gotta let us know if you got the deal on the shifters ;)

he puts a set of inexpensive shifters on there and after a few months realizes that the bike just "needed" those classic Mavics. Every time he gets on the bike, he's disappointed that he didn't bite the bullet and spend the extra $50.00 (we are knashing our teeth over $50.00 here!).

So after a few months he decides he is going to buy the Mavics. he recontacts the seller who had 3 of them, but he has sold all 3....1 at $150, 1 at $175, and his most recent sale was on e-bay where a japanese guy paid $250.00 for them after 5 other bidders drove the price up. Since then, 2 other sets have come up on e-bay for the low price of $225 & $275.......there is a hugh demand out there for these.

It could and has happened.

If it's me, and this is what I want for the bike, $50.00 is chump change..

But that's me.

Len

manet
06-13-2007, 10:21 AM
if you want it buy it and quit crying.

finally figured out where i read you before... the farmer's almanac.
good stuff. kept my father from shooting the mailman.

39cross
06-13-2007, 08:34 PM
finally figured out where i read you before... the farmer's almanac.
good stuff. kept my father from shooting the mailman.Yepp, Stevep ghostwrote Poor Richard's Almanac. He's collecting 5 cents from you right now.

stevep
06-13-2007, 08:38 PM
Yepp, Stevep ghostwrote Poor Richard's Almanac. He's collecting 5 cents from you right now.

i own 2 of his bikes at this point...and he doesnt even know it...poor manet.

manet
06-13-2007, 09:03 PM
i own 2 of his bikes at this point...and he doesnt even know it...poor manet.

shall i leave out an allen key, along with the cookies and chocolate soy milk, so you can lower the saddle or will you just sit on the toptube... ?

d_douglas
06-14-2007, 03:00 AM
Manet: though this thread is getting off course, you are addressing one of my deepest fanstasies (chocolate soy milk and top tube seating)

Thanks.

stevep
06-14-2007, 05:45 AM
shall i leave out an allen key, along with the cookies and chocolate soy milk, so you can lower the saddle or will you just sit on the toptube... ?

nah,
im gonna part them out to d douglas. sounds like he would buy anything...
mavic mt bike shifters? really? you want these?
s

in the sellers head..." anyone who wants these things that work so badly must really want them, therefore i will try to hose him for $150...since i bought them for $5 back in 1991."

in d douglass head..." this guy is trying to hose me but every other pair of these shifters in the world wwas destroyed by the original owner when they worked like shiite..these could be the last pr on the planet ...i need them. "

in the sellers head..." this guy offered me $100... hahaha. he will look on ebay until he gets a headache looking for these fool things... i have him now ...or in 6 months i will up the price to $200 just to gall him..."

in d douglas' head..." i will offer $100 cause that is a lot for shiite that does not work but i love early mavic stuff as it worked better than the campy mt bike shiite that lasted 2 months... but i really want these things..."

and the world continues to turn.

Fivethumbs
06-14-2007, 09:56 PM
in the sellers head..." I hope this guy doesn't belong to the Serotta forum because someone there is sure to tip him off that I am really hosing him."

d_douglas
06-15-2007, 02:52 AM
I feel as though I am being mocked. I love being mocked. I deserve it. I was being a baby.

Ha Ha.

djg
06-15-2007, 06:51 AM
I feel as though I am being mocked. I love being mocked. I deserve it. I was being a baby.

Ha Ha.

Here's the bad news: the advice was free, but the mocking will run ya 500 dollars an hour.

Ginger
06-15-2007, 08:07 AM
Here's the bad news: the advice was free, but the mocking will run ya 500 dollars an hour.

Yeah...and Stevep probably took a couple hours on that post...

39cross
06-15-2007, 08:28 AM
Here's the bad news: the advice was free, but the mocking will run ya 500 dollars an hour.There's always a catch here...the post-mocking psychotherapy is also offered by stevep. He'll getcha coming and going. The good news is he may offer you a better rate as a return customer.

stevep
06-15-2007, 09:05 AM
There's always a catch here...the post-mocking psychotherapy is also offered by stevep. He'll getcha coming and going. The good news is he may offer you a better rate as a return customer.

always i try to be generous.
5% discount if you prepay.
nah, ill put the first 3 payments on davids' credit card...
fahgettaboutit

davids
06-15-2007, 09:27 AM
always i try to be generous.
5% discount if you prepay.
nah, ill put the first 3 payments on davids' credit card...
fahgettaboutit
I tried to stay out of this. But now I am gonna have to charge DD $200.

(kidding, kidding! I didn't even even know that Mavic made salad dressing...)

manet
06-15-2007, 11:01 AM
Manet: though this thread is getting off course, you are addressing one of my deepest fanstasies (chocolate soy milk and top tube seating)

Thanks.

you're most welcome... though if you really want to be thankful, send stevep a few dollars, as i hear this weeks SocSec checks were mistakenly sent to Paris..... hilton.

Serotta PETE
06-15-2007, 03:48 PM
The folks on the forum have shared for the love of it. Johnny got me a ti Campy post and someone else (Ramon) got me a Serotta carbon post.

But life in general is "whatever the market will pay"!!!

If I am not using it and someone has a love or lust for it...I am willing to part with it for a reasonable price for I feel others will do the same for me.

Care and treat others as you would like to be treated. Over time it will come back to you.......and I will also share some RED with you....

PETE

FIRST OFF: my apologies to the person discussed below if he is part of this forum.

As some of you might have noticed, I am looking for a set of Mavic Wishbone MTB shifters. I tried a vintage MTB site and lo and behold, someone said they had three NOS sets in his collection. He asked what the shifters were for and if I had anything to trade.

He wasn't interested in any of my goodies, so he said he would unload a set for $150. Yikes.

I was hoping that he would say $25, but thought he might say $65 and feared he might say $100, but $159 seems ridiculous for a set of 7 speed shifters. Doesn't it?

I realize that the shifters are worth what someone will pay for them, so he can charge whatever he wants if i (or someone else) is willing to pay $150, but I feel like a dying cow in the blistering sun with a vulture circling over top of me. Scarcity drives price, right all you economists out there?

All criticisms aside, I feel like this forum has a group of generous and reasonable people in it who sell things at reasonable prices. There are some who are more generous than others, but it seems to me that few people are out to get top dollar for their used gear here.

Can someone confirm to me that these shifters are not worth $150? I look cool old things, but that seems a bit extortionary, don't it? I won't pay that amount, but felt like it was insulting that one cycling enthusiast to another cannot make a reasonable offer.

No, my teats will not ruin the keyboard and no, I was not bullied in grade 5, but I feel like someone is being a bit too capitalist, non?

Thoughts?