PDA

View Full Version : Saddle Sores - YOW!

Ray
06-12-2007, 12:42 PM
I've been riding quite a lot for about 11-12 years now and have never, it turns out, had a saddle sore. I've had mild chafing after really long rides, but a bit of ointment on it overnight was all it took to be fine by riding time the next day. I figured all of the rest of you were wimps, complaining about your saddle sores. I hereby apologize for those feelings of scorn. I found a painful little hard lump next to and slightly toward the back of the 'taint the other night. Didn't know what it was, but MAN did it hurt to any sort of touch (like sitting on it, fer example).

No improvement yesterday, so I went to the doc today, not knowing what it was (I've never had hemorrhoids or a hernia either, so I didn't know if this could be one of those things). The doc said, yep, badly infected hair follicle (the origin of most saddle sores I guess) and put me on systemic antibiotics straight away. Not sure how long I'm going to have to be off the bike, but at the moment, I don't even WANT to ride, which is a strange feeling for me.

What's your experience with this type of thing? Am I looking at more than a week or so off the bike?

-Ray

davidlee
06-12-2007, 12:51 PM
You should have requested a Kenalog injection and the thing would be gone immediately.. Might fail a drug test though...

Ginger
06-12-2007, 12:59 PM
I had one haunt me for two seasons until my doc sliced it open and cauterized so I wouldn't have a return issue. A bit of lazer hair removal and I've not had a problem since. I wouldn't have gone on the antibiotics either, that messes up your whole system. It has to heal the whole way, or you're just going to re-spread the infection. I was off the bike 10 days. What did your doc say?

To prevent return (and I found that once I had one, until I got the habits down, more showed up...)

Hints and tips:

Don't cook in your shorts. If you're not riding, get them off asap

Use an antibacterial soap in the shower before (and directly after) a ride, make sure you clean everywhere.

Use an antibacterial chamois creme like assos (or look up kitty creme here on the forum...or the old forum for a home recipe...)

Good luck!

Ginger

Erik.Lazdins
06-12-2007, 01:02 PM
Get well soon
and
Please don't post pics!!!!! :)

Ray
06-12-2007, 01:09 PM
I had one haunt me for two seasons until my doc sliced it open and cauterized so I wouldn't have a return issue. A bit of lazer hair removal and I've not had a problem since. I wouldn't have gone on the antibiotics either, that messes up your whole system. It has to heal the whole way, or you're just going to re-spread the infection. I was off the bike 10 days. What did your doc say?

To prevent return (and I found that once I had one, until I got the habits down, more showed up...)

Hints and tips:

Don't cook in your shorts. If you're not riding, get them off asap

Use an antibacterial soap in the shower before (and directly after) a ride, make sure you clean everywhere.

Use an antibacterial chamois creme like assos (or look up kitty creme here on the forum...or the old forum for a home recipe...)

Good luck!

Ginger
Two seasons?!?!?! Egad!

He suggested that it would either come to a head, in which case it would either pop itself or I should go back in and have it lanced. Or it wouldn't which would likely mean the anti-biotic had cleared it up before it got to that point. I'm clearly not prone to these things, based on lack of past experience, and I do most of what you suggest as a matter of course, although I don't generally shower before a ride and my soap isn't anti-bacterial. If this turns out to be more than a one-time thang, I may add those to the routine.

Not to worry, Erik - no pictures. Hell, I can't even see the thing myself. I can sure feel it though.

-Ray

Climb01742
06-12-2007, 01:26 PM
must have been a tad em-bare-@ssing during the exam. :rolleyes:

get better soon.

weaponsgrade
06-12-2007, 01:30 PM
I use Bag Balm when I get them. It usually clears up in about a day or two.

Ray
06-12-2007, 01:49 PM
I use Bag Balm when I get them. It usually clears up in about a day or two.
This thing seems to be far enough below the surface that the doc didn't think any topical ointment would help. And that's what it feels like. If it ever drains, though, then fer sher.

Climb - I definitely didn't envy the view the doc got on this one :cool:

-Ray

Steelhead
06-12-2007, 01:57 PM
First time I had one my doc advised soaking in a very hot, as hot as you can stand tub for about 15 minutes, 2-3 times per day. I also used epson salts in mine. The heat draws the infection to the surface and helps it either rupture on it's own or with a little coaxing. Last one I had was a bit more stubborn and the doc had to give me a local and open it up. Wasn't nearly as bad as I thought - actually it was nothing, no pain - nada. Most people get freaked out as I am sure I will if I ever have to do it again, but it's just because that area is sensitive and scary to be having someone cutting on. I've used Assos and Chamois Butter ever since and have had nary a problem, alsd a firm believer in getting out of those shorts and showered asap. I like Dr. Bronners Castille for cleaning up in the shower after a particularly long or sweaty ride.

musgravecycles
06-12-2007, 01:58 PM
I've had a couple of 'em in the last 3ish years, a REAL b!tch... I kept a scalpel or two around and always took care of 'em myself. ;)

I've got a pretty strict routine nowa'days though.

Since I'm a father this one's a natural for me but I use a baby wipe right before the bibs go on. Don't ride without cream (always used Assos, but went and got the ingredients for TT's Kitty Cream two nights ago), and make it a habit to get the bibs off ASAP, and either a shower or another baby wipe or two...

sc53
06-12-2007, 02:16 PM
Man! everybody's getting these things! And I thought my recent whole body poison ivy outbreak was bad.....
I bought some special saddle cream from Unconventional Medicinals, TT's recommendation, to ward off the dreaded saddle sore. Hope I'm luckier than you Ray!

Ginger
06-12-2007, 02:49 PM
Man! everybody's getting these things! And I thought my recent whole body poison ivy outbreak was bad.....

I used to turn into hamburger if I got into poison ivy...but I've found two things for the mitigating the reaction (you're probably familiar with these):
1. When I go places that "might" have poison ivy, I take a gallon of white vinegar and really rinse myself off after I'm out of the area. Change clothes, rinse again, etc. Vinegar cuts the oil on your skin. Then a cold shower when you get home to wash off the rest.

2. If, you didn't get it all off with the vinegar, use high quality lavender oil on the poison ivy bumps. Cuts the itch and seems to cut down on recurrence.

(yeah, two seasons, it would come and go...haven't had any issue since I had any and all possibly offending hair follicles permanently removed several years ago.)

rwsaunders
06-12-2007, 03:34 PM
Fell's Naptha Soap, a scrub brush and Clorox, followed by a dip in the local pool always worked for poison ivy when we were kids.

After the stories about the saddle sores, it makes me wonder how they can charge tuition for med school.

sc53
06-12-2007, 07:59 PM
After the stories about the saddle sores, it makes me wonder how they can charge tuition for med school.

RW--my thoughts exactly earlier in this thread! What doctors have to look at...and TOUCH! ewww. :butt:

Thanks for the white vinegar tip for poison ivy, hadn't heard that one. Friend recommended a scrub you can buy at CVS, Tecnu, which has so far prevented any further reinfestations despite the diligent efforts of my two dogs each and every day.

Marron
06-12-2007, 08:31 PM
I would second the soaking in the tub and personal scalpel collection as effective if uncomfortable solutions.

One thing that I have found useful if I must ride is the use of Dr. Scholls foam rings. You find them in the foot care section and I think their intended to ease the discomfort of bunions. If you apply them around the offeding sore and lather the area with you ointment of choice they will make riding bearable. I developed a nasty sore the week before RAMROD in 2000 and ended up surviving the ride on Dr. Scholls rings and more out of the saddle climbing.

lemondsteel
06-12-2007, 08:36 PM
I use to have the dreaded flare ups until I started showering with Tea Tree Shampoo from Paul Mitchell. Developed for dandruff but works on the saddle episodes as well as poison ivy, chicken pox itch for children, etc. List goes on and on. Also a small bottle of 100% tea tree oil is great for cuts , burns, scrapes, etc. Tea Tree Oil is a natural antiseptic, germicide, antibacterial, fungicide. Try it..... youl like it. I always shower after a ride and scrub the tender parts with the Tear Tree shampoo. I no longer get the dreaded sores

Ray
06-13-2007, 04:29 AM
Thanks for all of the suggestions folks. Given that this is my first one in 11 years, I'm more concerned with getting past this one than preventing them in the future - one per decade or so seems a reasonable price to pay for this sport. If it starts to become a recurring issue, I'll have to re-think that, although I take pretty reasonable precautions anyway.

Docs definitely get to see some nasty ***** - I'm sure this is far from the worst of it and this woulda been no great viewing.

-Ray

Steelhead
06-13-2007, 06:15 AM
I have only had two bad ones in my life, and been riding for 22 years. They both developed within 6 weeks of my Dad's death, one was first felt while standing in line at the reception after his funeral. My Dr. who is also a lifelong cyclist says that high stress can have a lot to do with it. That was two years ago and ever since I am much more diligent about pre/post-ride care than ever before.

FWIT :)

Ray
06-13-2007, 06:49 AM
I have only had two bad ones in my life, and been riding for 22 years. They both developed within 6 weeks of my Dad's death, one was first felt while standing in line at the reception after his funeral. My Dr. who is also a lifelong cyclist says that high stress can have a lot to do with it. That was two years ago and ever since I am much more diligent about pre/post-ride care than ever before.

FWIT :)
Interesting. We're in the process of buying and selling a house, moving, and having our youngest daughter prepare to leave home for college. That's not the worst stress I've ever dealt with (the death's of both of my parents were certainly worse), but it's not unsubstantial. Certainly could be a contributing factor. In any case, we both seem to be on a one per 11 year pattern, so far. Which is not too bad.

-Ray

flydhest
06-13-2007, 07:16 AM
Ray,
What timing you have. Last night on the Daily Show, Samantha B. used the phrase "an ingrown hair in the taint of America." I immediately thought of you ;) Forum love, can you feel it?

Ray
06-13-2007, 07:35 AM
Ray,
What timing you have. Last night on the Daily Show, Samantha B. used the phrase "an ingrown hair in the taint of America." I immediately thought of you ;) Forum love, can you feel it?
Well damn. I have that sitting upstairs on the tivo - I'll be running up there to watch it presently. Thanks man - I might have missed it :cool:

-Ray

93legendti
06-13-2007, 07:49 AM
I've been riding quite a lot for about 11-12 years now and have never, it turns out, had a saddle sore. I've had mild chafing after really long rides, but a bit of ointment on it overnight was all it took to be fine by riding time the next day. I figured all of the rest of you were wimps, complaining about your saddle sores. I hereby apologize for those feelings of scorn. I found a painful little hard lump next to and slightly toward the back of the 'taint the other night. Didn't know what it was, but MAN did it hurt to any sort of touch (like sitting on it, fer example).

No improvement yesterday, so I went to the doc today, not knowing what it was (I've never had hemorrhoids or a hernia either, so I didn't know if this could be one of those things). The doc said, yep, badly infected hair follicle (the origin of most saddle sores I guess) and put me on systemic antibiotics straight away. Not sure how long I'm going to have to be off the bike, but at the moment, I don't even WANT to ride, which is a strange feeling for me.

What's your experience with this type of thing? Am I looking at more than a week or so off the bike?

-Ray
Take care of that and watch it carefully (if possible!). 12 years ago, I had an infected hair follicle on my left inner thigh that turned into a hard mass that had to be cut out...I have a nasty scar to remind me of the infection.

Bart001
06-13-2007, 02:49 PM
Interesting. We're in the process of buying and selling a house, moving, and having our youngest daughter prepare to leave home for college. That's not the worst stress I've ever dealt with (the death's of both of my parents were certainly worse), but it's not unsubstantial. Certainly could be a contributing factor. In any case, we both seem to be on a one per 11 year pattern, so far. Which is not too bad.

-Ray

Stress has always affected my immune system. Throughout college my skin was pretty clear until exam time. At exam time I'd almost always get a huge zit or two on my forehead. The timing was no coincidence. To this day, stress can result in an infected pore/zit/whathaveyou, and I'm 48 yrs old. You'd think I'd outgrow it . . .

I have no doubt that stress can increase the likelihood of a saddle sore-type infection in some people.

39cross
06-13-2007, 08:25 PM
Hope you get better soon, it is a most unpleasant thing to happen, hard to appreciate how unpleasant until it happens to you. To augment the many excellent suggestions, I'd like to add that if you don't already do so, you might want to try rotating a couple different pairs of shorts or bibs, that has helped me.

Samster
06-13-2007, 09:06 PM
... my doc sliced it open and cauterized...
:eek: