PDA

View Full Version : Sweat Management - Assos & Sweat Gutr

bobscott
06-12-2007, 12:22 PM
I have been using a Do Wrap Stubby under my helmet and with the current temperature it is good for about 45 minutes before I start getting overflow.
I had earlier tried a Halo head band but was allergic to the rubber in it.

I have considered 2 options and would love any input.

1) SWEAT GUTR It is similar to a Halo except that it has a small gutter rather than a rubber gasket. Importantly for me the Sweat Gutr is supposed to be hypoallergenic. Website is: http://www.sweatgutr.com/

2) ASSOS Summer CYC headband It has a large pad in the front and a elastic net in the back. Web site is: http://www.assos.com/en/accessories/detail.aspx?article=79&color=

Thanks,
bobscott

DRZRM
06-12-2007, 12:38 PM
I must say I'm intruiged by the Sweat Gutr, let us know how it works (or if anyone else is using one).

Firenze
06-12-2007, 04:38 PM
I am totally bald and sweat like a pig. Nashbar has a SweatVac® Ventilator Cap http://www.nashbar.com/profile_moreimages.cfm?category=137&subcategory=1220&sku=17163&brand=

I wear a white one under my helmet. I don’t feel overheated and it has solved the sweat in my eyes 100%. As always ymmv but it works for me.

Hope this helps,
Arch

Moosedryvr
06-12-2007, 04:47 PM
A couple of guys from my RAGBRAI team bought and tried the GUTR thingee last year and loved it. A little goofy looking for my taste, but this comes from an overweight dude wrapped in lycra, so take it with a grain of salt.

Shawn G

MAP
06-13-2007, 09:55 AM
I recently purchased a GUTR and took it out for first ride yesterday. I was pretty sceptical at first. It was on the warm side and I didn't think the gutter would be able to keep up with my sweat. To my amazement the thing works and works well.

The concept is extremely simple - imagine a rain gutter over your brow. As the sweat pours off your head it funnels into the GUTR, which routes it off to the side of your face. That simple.

benb
06-13-2007, 10:08 AM
I've had a lot of trouble with sweat.

What I have tried so far:

1) Wash the pads in the helmet once a week or so in the washing machine. (Stick them in a delicates bag)

2) Just take the front pad out of the helmet completely. (Just gotta watch if it's got scratchy velcro underneath.)

Basically to me it seems like the problem is more sweat soaks the front pad in the helmet. Then the water evaporates and the salt stays. The pad gets progressively saturated with salt. Then you sweat into it and you get a hyper-concentrated sweat/salt mix in your eyes.

William
06-13-2007, 10:56 AM
I've always found that a cotton cycling cap works fine under my helmet. I cut slits in the top to ventilate and the bill of the cap wicks out the sweat to be evaporated away. Plus I can see better when the sun is really bright.

William

BumbleBeeDave
06-13-2007, 11:53 AM
. . . and just put a regular terry head band under the do-rag I wear and take along an extra or two in my jersey pocket. Works for me.

BBD

mflaherty37
06-13-2007, 04:52 PM
I liked the sweat Gutter for a little while. I found it uncoformtable and the sweat still ended up on my glasses. You have to look at the sky to keep it flowing back. I just tossed it in the trash on TOMRV. I got 15 miles out and sweat was already dripping on the glasses.

GUTRGuy
06-13-2007, 05:15 PM
Check out these reviews on the Sweat GUTR;

www.bicycling.com "Gear of the Day"
www.cyclingnews.com
www.thepaceline.com
www.TriGearReview.com

or just Google "sweat gutr" there are over 10 pgs listing reviews from all over the world.

I am a GUTRGuy because I tried everything else (all cloth bands) without success. Since all other sweatbands are made of some sort of cloth I saturated them long before my ride was over. The GUTR doesnt saturate, or block the airflow of my helmet vents and it is easy to clean. No more soggy sweatbands to deal with.

72gmc
06-13-2007, 05:53 PM
I am totally bald and sweat like a pig.

Please, just tell it like it is!

Cap guy myself. Like William says, the eye shade is nice on hot days.

vaxn8r
06-13-2007, 07:41 PM
Please, just tell it like it is!

Cap guy myself. Like William says, the eye shade is nice on hot days.
But do you find the cap too hot to wear in the heat?

William
06-14-2007, 06:09 AM
But do you find the cap too hot to wear in the heat?

No, like I said, cut slits or holes in the cap to let it breathe. I only use it under the helmet so I son't care what it looks like on top.

William

BarryG
06-14-2007, 10:25 AM
Can anyone recommend an under-helmet cap (with visor) that might fit larger heads? Every cap I've ever tried was so freakin' tight!

Kurt
06-14-2007, 10:38 AM
picked one up the week they came out I think, pretty much hides above the helmet bottom so nobody knows it there. I think its an outstanding piece of gear, I would never go back to whatever did not work before. do not put sunscreen under it, just keep the forehead bare, the sweat flows to the side and down the helmet straps.

William
06-14-2007, 11:16 AM
Can anyone recommend an under-helmet cap (with visor) that might fit larger heads? Every cap I've ever tried was so freakin' tight!

I have a similar problem. Luckily my lbs usually has a good stock of them and just try them on and I'll usually find one that's not too tight. I'll stretch it out initially and after a while it will really loosens up. Funny, the more solid color ones seem to fit better then the ones with the multi-color panels....those are always super tight.

William

m_moses
06-14-2007, 11:46 AM
Voler sells something they call a Koolband (http://www.velowear.com/products/1240107BLK1SZ.aspx) that works really well for me. It's simply a 2.25 inch band of microfiber material you tie around your forehead. The material is very thin but absorbs lots of moisture and allows it to evaporate before the material saturates.

I previously tried a Headsweats skull cap but found that the band of terry material quickly saturated and allowed sweat to run into my eyes.

The Koolband was an accidental discovery. After ordering an item online from Voler and receiving the wrong size, I returned the item for an exchange. Voler included the Koolband gratis when shipping the exchange. I really didn't think much of it until trying it one day after realizing I had forgotten to pack my headsweat cap. As humid as it is here in southeast Texas, it's all I use now.

72gmc
06-14-2007, 11:48 AM
I generally don't even cut slits. I just wet the thing down once in a while if I need to.

William's right about the solid vs. multi-colored caps in my experience. There are also some that have a roughly 1" elastic band inside, while others just gather at the back. The thicker band is better for keeping sweat out of my eyes. Don't bother shopping for looks, because caps worn under helmets get trashed.

William
06-14-2007, 12:00 PM
... Don't bother shopping for looks, because caps worn under helmets get trashed.

And that's the truth! :beer:

William

BarryG
06-14-2007, 12:28 PM
just try them on and I'll usually find one that's not too tight.
Right

seems like there's a business opportunity hear for all those headwear mfrs - offering cycling caps for non-european sized heads - cap sizing is still back where cycling shoes were in the 70's, i.e. skinny :crap: