PDA

View Full Version : Castelli ruins their bibs for '04

dgauthier
06-16-2004, 07:28 PM
I went shopping for new bibs a few weeks ago, and I am so bummed! For 2004, Castelli has dumped my beloved ProgettoY2 bib shorts in favor of a completely new design, the YPro3. The cut is *terrible*! The front neckline scoops wayyy deeper in front, and it makes the straps feel like they're falling off my shoulders. The YPro3 bibs pull and rub in places the PY2's never did. They might work for someone else, but I would never buy a pair of the YPro3's.

I tried some other bibs, but nothing fits so perfectly, and vanishes (sensation-wise) so completely, as the PY2 bibs. Happily, after scouring a few stores I found a couple of pairs of the PY2 design in my size before they were all gone.

But I know when these wear out, I've gotta find some new favorites! So I have two questions: 1. Has anybody else been as disappointed with the new Castelli bibs as I am? and 2. You guys that love Castelli: what other bibs do you like? (Anyone who suggests Assos F.13's gets a cleat in the mouth, though, as there's no way I'm paying $250 bucks for bib shorts!)

hypnos
06-16-2004, 07:48 PM
You can get the Assos bibs for $185 on Ebay. Still too much, IMHO.

csb
06-16-2004, 07:50 PM
.. are you out there?
someone has a clothing question!

Jeff Weir
06-16-2004, 08:17 PM
You should really talk to his wife.....

Kevin
06-17-2004, 05:06 AM
Just don't get too close to her when she is talking. She tends to "spit" :banana:

Kevin

Marron
06-17-2004, 10:19 AM
I just bought a pair of the new ones two weeks ago, and aside from the "how low can you go" waist in front they have been comfortable so far. I actually prefer the new thinner pad. The older version sometimes felt like a full diaper to me so the reduction in bulk is a plus.

Having said all that; I find myself migrating back to PI bibs as my favorites. They seem to have gotten more comfortable over the past few years and are more reasonably priced as well as more durable. My biggest complaint about Castellis is that the lycra they use seems to abrade easier than anyone elses. At their prices that's not right.