PDA

View Full Version : Aimee's Christmas Kirk

dbrk
12-25-2003, 12:05 PM
I have posted a few pictures of this bike over on the bikefanclub site under custom bikes...but I thought Serotta folk would enjoy seeing a bike so pink and small that, well, you have to see it to believe it. Aimee was surprised, ecstatic, plotting her rides. I finished it up last night, wrapped the bars this morning...and the big red bow. David Kirk did a magnificent job: this is beautiful work and he is such a good sport for putting on the Hello Kitty stickers. Aimee thinks it purrrfect. Comments welcome, of course. Now I am scheming my own Kirk...

dbrk

Kevin
12-25-2003, 12:11 PM
drbk,

It looks sweet, like cotton candy. Why didn't you spring for new pedals? I am sure Aimee's bike is going to be all the rage at the next club ride.

Kevin

Johny
12-25-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by dbrk
... Aimee was surprised, ecstatic, plotting her rides... Aimee thinks it purrrfect... Now I am scheming my own Kirk...

dbrk - Hmmm, Nice move :).

dbrk,

This is really a very very beautiful bike. How did you decide the size for Aimee? The 155mm crankset is also special.... Thanks.

pale scotsman
12-25-2003, 02:26 PM
Cool! I was drooling on the Kirk site the other night and my 10 year old son came up and said, "Hello Kitty", as soon as he saw it. He likes it as well. Hope your wife enjoys it.

Climb01742
12-25-2003, 02:54 PM
i see you had david do the stem too. great touch. only "problem" with such a beautiful frame is the pain of getting it dirty. david's frame blur that line between tool and art. wonderful gift. seeing her face the moment she saw it must have been priceless.

Bill Bove
12-25-2003, 05:53 PM
As the owner of several pink bikes I applaud your color choice.

About the gearing, the chainrings don't look very large. Are the 53/39? Will she be able to keep up with such small rings and 650 wheels?

I still think you should get a matching one for yourself.

Len J
12-25-2003, 07:37 PM
Beautiful.

I too am thinking of a Kirk.

What color, what color.

Glad she was surprised & Happy.

Len

dbrk
12-25-2003, 09:55 PM
The cranks are 155mm in length, as I mentioned, but the chainrings are 46/36 with a 12-27 rear. I opted to skip the triple thinking that she would have enough gears.

The Kirk I'm scheming is a version of the MRB (Montana Road Bike). Dave and I are talking about it, but it's all in the details. I think it wise not to say more until we have a solid idea and a real deal. Right now, I'm just schemin'...

dbrk

davep
12-25-2003, 10:03 PM
Beautiful bike, and I'm sure even more impressive in person. But after looking at the photos you put up on BFC I'm surprised you went with a black seatpost.

dbrk
12-25-2003, 11:09 PM
You're right that the silver headset and spacers push the trim towards silver, but the bars, old Cinelli 38s, are black from 3cm to the clamp, so the bars are basically black. This is the sort of detail that I will spend the next week in Jamaica thinking about, then fretting about, then resolved, then change my mind, then thinking about again, likely changing, changing back. Go figure. Bikes are more than just a great ride to me. They have a certain aesthetic quality.

No one has yet mentioned (or perhaps the photos don't show it very clearly) the funky front derailleur. It's some old Suntour that was laying in the box. I am an ardent proponent of the Make Whatever Front Derailleur You Have work properly. This one works fine. And, of course, I'd never give in to a single component group. Too easy, too boring. It's more fun to make it work right in ways the Companies say it doesn't.

dbrk

pbbob
12-26-2003, 09:38 AM
lovely pink bike! going to have DK build a fork for me.

Russ
12-26-2003, 11:12 AM
Why isn't this post in the image gallery?

Hey, dbrk!

Nice bike.... Hope we get to see it in the next TDFL!

Russ

dbrk
12-26-2003, 12:43 PM
Russ and others,
In deference to the Serotta focus of our Forum here I posted the pictures of Aimee's bike in custom gallery of the BFC. I initiated this post about the Kirk and the conversation to alert my Serottapals and instigate a little cross fertilization. You'll certainly see Kitty when you return for a TdFL, Part Deux!!

dbrk

TmcDet
12-26-2003, 04:52 PM
dbrk,

you mentioned the special 155mm crank, I would like to know more about it like what brand and where did you get it.....My Daughter got an old Centurion for Christmas that has a 160mm crank on it but a 155 would fit her better......hmmm maybe it would interesting to hear about all the components, I know you said it had a suntour front derailer

M_A_Martin
12-26-2003, 06:23 PM
But it came out fabulous!

Its a cute pink bike Dbrk! I shared your excitement of getting a suprise for your wife and heard enough about it on the old board to be interested in seeing it, and excited for Aimee. It was nice that you shared the suprise and result with us. Once again, part of the excitement of making certain decision is sharing that happiness with your friends. And this is partly why this board came back, the friendships and Serotta community we've forged here on the board.

I too would like to hear how you figured out the fit for Aimee without letting her in on the secret. Who knows, it might inspire someone else out there to suprise his/her SO with a new Serotta!

Have fun in Jamaica!
Ginger

Russ
12-26-2003, 10:39 PM
nm, corrected on next post!

Russ
12-26-2003, 10:55 PM
My question was not directed as to why you have posted Aimee's Kirk here.

I asked the question as a way, perhaps, so that you and others keep some sort of continuity and order when posting in the forum. I mean, if I were to look for (this) bike, I would first start in the Image Gallery, which is were I normally look first when I get to the forum. But it took me a couple of visits to see your post!

I personally could care less about what bike or whose bike we would talk about in the forum, as long as WE CONTINUE TO TALK about bikes!!!!

Do you mind if I get Aimee a Giro pink jersey? XS, I am assuming? Sorry, no pink shorts or no wool jersey... Just a new 2003 Giro Jersey.

jason
12-29-2003, 04:43 PM
The Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Really. I must have been indoctrinated by a different history book at school, the CIA book of alternative history. That would have been an exceptionally long flight there and back from Deutschland. Was that the Zeroschmitt or the Messerbishi?

Climb01742
12-29-2003, 04:48 PM
please refer to very childish but very funny american film called animal house. history isn't the only thing it mangles.

Serotta PETE
12-30-2003, 01:13 PM
Great Looking bike....Hopefully she has been able to give it a test ride over the holidays.. HAVE A HAPPY NEW YEAR. pete